No matter your views on Tom King

This news of him being taken off of Batman is a complete loss for all fans (that is if he doesnt get to finish his story in the manner he intended)

The reason I say this is because of 1 of 2 things:

1.) We get a rushed version of what King intended, that may or may not pale in comparison to an actual wedding on issue 50 (fault falls on DC for overhyping the issue)

Or

2.) Tom ends his run short and the next Writer tries to Frankenstein’s Monster sew his story to Kings resulting in a incoherent mess.

damn it DC, you better let the man finish his story properly.

4 Likes

Yeah, completely taking him off the book would definitely be the worst case scenario for both fans and detractors. I’m hoping that if DC does take him off the Batman book, he can continue his story in a new on-going or a mini-series.

2 Likes

I really wanted him to continue by far one of my favorite books. Who do you guys think is gonna replace him? Scott Snyder or Benis would be my first two practical choices and Jason Aaron would be my dream choice

2 Likes

I would hope Snyder doesn’t replace King. Snyder has got a new Batbook out next week and has more than made his mark on the character.

I wouldn’t mind Bendis as his Batman Universe story in Batman Giant has been fun. That said, Bendis has enough things going on right now.

I’d prefer to see a new writer if in fact King is permanently off Batman, and not just on a break for whatever reason. Maybe Tomasi? He could have fun with interweaving 'Tec and Batman.

Even though people will hate it and he’s not that popular because of his current run, take Bendis off Superman and put him in Batman. Bendis has a chance to mirror his Daredevil run similarly with Batman. It’s what Bendis is good at, grounded characters like Batman.

I’m disappointed in hearing this news. If it really does happen, I’m hoping for Tom Taylor.

3 Likes

@Stormnation I would love to see Tom Taylor write Batman. I don’t know if it would be fantastic, but it definitely would have the potential to be.

4 Likes

Taylor coming onboard would keep the Tom Effect in…well, effect.

1 Like

I could absolutely back Tom Taylor on Batman. Tom has a wonderful sense of humor in everything that he does, even if it is at times somewhat subtle. I’d love to see that brought to The Dark Knight! You couldn’t take my money fast enough haha

1 Like

It all sounds like his story is going to continue in another book that is not the main Bat book. Probably a “black label” mini series, much like Snyder is ending his run on Batman with a black label series.

This is just giving DC license to interfere in anyone’s run. Fans shouldn’t be cheering this on and the ones that are have dipped from King’s run on Batman and HIC and are just on the hate bandwagon.

3 Likes

I see some folks advocate for Bendis on Batman. If it was 2001 Bendis, I would agree, but I have not seen anything like that from him in a long time. His writing to me is like Claremont’s work after his first x-men run; it’s a parody of itself.

I have really enjoyed King’s Omega men, Vision, and Mr. Miracle. Those books approached their subjects in a new way that made me appreciate the struggles of these underused characters more. I have not started Batman yet.

I wish they would let Sean Gordon Murphy write the regular series. White Knight was a unique take on the Batman mythos I really enjoyed.

DC, along with all publishers, has always had license to step into someone’s run if need be and halt it. The situation with King hasn’t set a new precedent.

2 Likes

The cryptic tweets tend to show he is moving to something bigger. So probably do like Snyder and turn ending into an event series. I will say King has some good story ideas, just wish he would let someone with more writing skills tackle the scripting.

2 Likes

@Tromeo The scripting in Tom Kong’s Batman is what bothers me, so maybe getting someone else to script his stories would fix the problem.

1 Like

I’m excited about a change in creative teams, personally. I haven’t been a fan of King’s larger story and don’t mind it being cut short. The Batman issues of his that I’ve enjoyed the most have been smaller and self-contained. I don’t think his larger story thread has been as planned or as pre-conceived as some think. It’s felt pretty meandering and reactionary to me.

I do think Tom King is a good writer. I just haven’t liked his Batman very much. I’m hoping DC gives him a Swamp Thing series, as his Winter Special was awesome. Imagine him doing a Swamp Thing series akin to his Vision run.

1 Like

Also, DC gave/is giving Tom King 85 ISSUES! That’s… a lot. And DC, a for-profit company, is being more than fair in giving him that many.

This is also assuming that it’s all DC’s decision and not King’s. He’s received a ridiculous amount of hate, ridicule, and death threats that no one deserves. He’s certainly fed up with that and may be wanting to move on to something that he can peacefully enjoy working on again.

I’ll keep saying it until it comes true: I think Swamp Thing would be a great fit for Tom King.

3 Likes

I can only hope J.D. Finn is available.

1 Like

Go read Saga of the Swamp Thing. Alan Moore tied up his predecessor’s work with a bow in one single issue, then went on to one of the greatest runs in DC history. Just saying.

3 Likes

@Matches_Malone He doesn’t deserve the death threats. Just because people hate his work on Batman doesn’t mean they should hate HIM. People who send death threats over a story need some serious help.

2 Likes