No Letter’s Pages = Great Lose

I’m not sure the reasoning behind the decision to exclude letters/editorial pages from most of the scanned digital versions of books but I feel it does a great disservice to some of the series. My prime example for this would be All Star Squadron. Roy Thomas made it a regular feature to give us a great abundance of additional information related to that months issue either in a synopsis of “real”worlds events during the context of that story. Or by explaining how an incident of retroactive continuity filled in a 40 year old plot hole. I could be wrong but I believe the first time the word “retcon” ever saw print was in a All Star Squadron letters page. Not to mention the wonderful explanations of some minute obscure reference that Roy found a way to wiggle in some of which he did not write about until someone’s letter triggered said explanation. I know this is probably not going to change any workflows for what is uploaded but I wanted to give my opinion on how much is truly being lost by leaving out these 1-2 pages.

11 Likes

I was in the letters pages in the late 1990s. I sent in my letters via email.

6 Likes

I agree. I could add some reasoning but I believe the start post sums it nicely. Letter pages are fun and they add something.

6 Likes

I seem to recall letter pages played a huge role in the evolution of comic book fandom.

7 Likes

For first issues, sometimes, they would send photocopies of issue 1 to regular letter writers in order to have early letters to publish in issue 1 to 3. I got a photocopy of 1 first issue altho I threw away the photocopy, unfortunately.

7 Likes

In some case the letters page is really a part of the story of the comic.
I had previously submitted a report of missing letters pages from Elvira’s House of Mystery (1986-1987) because they are mentioned within the text of the comic.
Elvira asks for letters and tells the readers to read the letters page in at least Issues #5, #7, and #10.
The blurb for Elvira’s House of Mystery #10 on DCUI even mentions the letters page.
" The Mistress of the Dark, scary stories, contest news, and the world’s niftiest letters page! Croaton! "
Elvira’s House of Mystery #10 (dcuniverseinfinite.com)

3 Likes

You never know what letter writing could lead to

That was April 1996

8 Likes

I did not realize this was a thing… :flushed:

3 Likes

I had many letters printed in DC comics during the 1970s. I was usually complimentary, but on occasion, I would pen a “pan (as it was called back then) letter”. It was always great to get a response from the “editor”. Some of the responses were corrections, others assertions, and on occasion, a bad pun.
It was always a badge of honor to have a letter printed in a Julie Schwartz comic. All the folks that “hosted” the letter pages were professional, knowledgeable, and of good humor. It was a fun time to be a comics fan. DC should definitely bring back the letter’s page. I know this old " letter hack" would have something to say.

4 Likes

Geoff Johns: You do not want my ideas to be canon. Fine I will take your job, become your boss, fire you, make my ideas canon, slaughter all your characters in gruesome ways, and save Hal.

5 Likes

I imagine they cut them out purely for cost-cutting reasons, although they seem to have as many house ads as they did pre-New 52, which they had cut back on to an extent.

I am pretty much with everyone here that they are helpful and nice - particularly with digital issues, where there is no issue with ‘paper’ or ‘size limitations,’ they should consider reincorporating and reintroducing the concept. While modern Marble doesn’t have them in every issue, when I did read the floppies of both Iceman solo (post-reveal) runs, I was surprised to note they carried letters. I know from glancing at the floppies of my friends that read Marble regularly that most of the issues do not carry them, but I think of the Spidey series did/does?

3 Likes

I realize now in reading your response that I did not clarify myself in that I was referring to digital versions of the books. Thank you for (unintentionally :grinning: ) bring that to my attention so I could edit my original post.

4 Likes

They can also include them in TPBs, the collected print versions, for that matter!

3 Likes

I actually still have a photocopy of Legends #1 complete with several empty word balloons.

4 Likes

To this day I hate that he made Lex the human portion of Superboy’s DNA. I’ve gone on about it on the forums, but it was a bad idea then, and it’s a bad idea now.

4 Likes