No Legion?

I appreciate and am excited about all the new books, but no Legion Of Super-Heroes (other than the Geoff Johns Legion Action Comics arc that was added a few weeks ago?)

What gives?

6 Likes

are there any Legion books currently being published ?when was the last time legion was published? I have plenty of them here for sure.

1 Like

There were two legion titles in New 52, including Legion Lost, which featured Legion members stranded in DC current history.

I think that they are waiting for the conclusion of Doomsday Clock. After that, JSA and LSH titles will be published again.

The problem with most older LSH issues is that Superboy or Supergirl are depicted as important members

A new LSH could have Clark’s main training as superhero in the future, when he is college aged, and thus eligible to be called Superman. Otherwise, we would have three Superboys: Kon-el, Jon and Young Clark.

The editors and creators have to decide what was the role model for JSH. The latest version was the adult Justice League.

1 Like

I agree - would love to see more Legion, but I assume they are indeed waiting until they make a “rebirth” in current continuity. It has been teased for a while, so seems like it will be a big splash. I picked up a few old collections that were on sale in Comixology so I’m sated for the time being. But would be great to have all the different runs here to check out and compare (I’ve only ever bounced in and out over the years).

Re: Superboy as the model for the Legion, it seems to me that Jon’s recent adventure with Jor-El would have been a great opportunity to have him find himself in the future for an extended period of time and thus serve the role his father’s Superboy did in the original versions. I haven’t actually kept up with the Bendis run, so maybe this can be or will be folded into Jon’s seven (?) year absence when the Legion returns.

They aren’t popular and you can’t expect to literally get everything

1 Like

Am I alone in saying I greatly enjoyed the last Jim Shooter Legion run just prior to Flashpoint / New 52?

1 Like

They had some Legion comix when they launced. but removes some stuff apparently not heavily engaged that included the Legion stuff. So they were clearly not popular. I hope for fans sake they will give them another chance in one of their titles. Legion is a big part of DC history, seems they should get at least a handfull of titles. But Foodini is right that we can’t expect everything DC ever published. Heck, you can’t but everything they ever published on comixology.

@Don-El, you are most assuredly not alone regarding the Shooter run on that volume of LOSH. It’s my favorite run of that whole series.

2 Likes

@foodini I disagree.

@ALL The problem with the Legion is one no one wants to talk about.

@Vroom I just wanna drop the names Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen, and I don’t mean the new 52.

1 Like

@Misfit, I know their work well. Great Darkness Saga, the final pre-New 52 volume of LOSH (and also the most recent volume of Adventure Comics in Levitz’s case), the direct market debuting LOSH book in the 80’s, other Legion stuff that goes back further (Secrets of the Legion of Super Heroes is fun), etc

Lots of good Legion books/stories with those two.

The LoSH used to have a huge following, and they were manic about it. I think it’s one of DC’s failures that they let that community die. Of house, that death happened about 20 years ago. So it’s ancient history in terms of pop-culture.

In any case, Giffen’s Five-Year Gap was inspired. What an awesome way to reset a huge cat of characters without abandoning decades of history. Flashpoint had a good story, but Zero Hour, Rebirth, Final Crisis, Infinite Crisis, or Convergence? They could learn some things from Giffen.

And Giffen’s 1000-year link between Invasion! and the destruction of Earth woke me up as a reader. Bringing those storylines together made me realize that these comic book writers were capable of creating epics.

2 Likes

When are we going to get the legion 5yl or the batch storylines on here

@harley.333 plus one on the Legion and especially Giffens run on it. I know a lot of fans of previous iterations didn’t exactly embrace it, but I found the whole run addictive as a genre mashing smart piece of work. That and his take on Suicide Squad we’re both years ahead of their time.

Jonathon Hickman Legion ongoing is the dream we all need to believe in for 2019.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Jonathon Hickman Legion ongoing is the dream we all need to believe in for 2019.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

crosses fingers that that rumor is true Hickman is BA.

2 Likes

Legion was pretty popular in it’s day I remember. What did them in (in my opinion) was that I don’t think DC thought through how big of a deal for Legion it was to have written Superboy out of continuity. That mucked Legion’s continuity up so much that they never did fully recover, and then because it was set so far in the future it was basically a thing unto itself DC’s answer became to reboot it… again… and again… and again… and again… until it was just a huge mess. Granted nothing like Crisis had ever been done before, so can be forgiven I guess for not seeing all angles (not like mistakes along those lines haven’t happened with later reboots), but they really didn’t think trough how big of a problem taking Superboy out of early Legion continuity truly was.

Well, too bad more people weren’t reading the lsh stuff when it was available. Put me down for more please.

LSH!

I’ve read every Legion book since 2006 when LOSH became Supergirl and the LOSH as part of One Year Layer. I’ve done my part to support the franchise. It’s one of the greatest team franchises in comic history (and in pop culture in general).

1 Like