No animated Superman watchalong = broken watchalong system?

If the first big-budget Superman animated series in 27 years isn’t prompting the creation of a watchalong to celebrate/evaluate it, the site needs more people authorized/responsible for setting up watchalongs.

I feel like that goes without saying/is obvious to all. Does anyone disagree with that assessment?

6 Likes

maybe there isn’t enough show yet

3 Likes

I do not disagree.

4 Likes

Well I did ended my leadership with DC Animated Club back in March, I don’t think the Moderators would’ve allow me to host a watch along by using DC Animated Club, so that’s pretty much up to one of the Superman’s club by @Don-el or @Vroom. Sorry.:slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

It’s a great new series. My Superman jurisdiction per the Armistice between me and Vroom is I do up to 1986 Superman for animation media and comics.

He’s the Modern Superman guy.

5 Likes

Would be nice if they would release it on Max at the same time as it airs on AS. Most people have to wait the extra day to watch it on Max so there wouldn’t be very many people in the watchalong thread live on Thursdays I’d think.

2 Likes

Just do it later like next Thursday. Since commenting is distracting it works best for rewatches anyway

3 Likes

Yeah I’d definitely be down for that if it wasn’t during the live airing.

3 Likes

Another use to doing it later is it lets us analyze it from the perspective of later episodes. Was this episode the start of a new trend in the series? Did it foreshadow another episode? Was it an odd one out due to having a different writer? etc.

3 Likes

Some don’t have time to plan to rewatch episodes we’ve already seen. I may like an episode, I may not. I don’t have a reason to rewatch unenjoyable episodes. I’ll do watchalongs for old favorites, but I’m unlikely to rewatch episodes within a span of several weeks.

The other factor is just how you promote something. Whether it’s a new episode or new animated movie, the time to make a big deal out of it is when it premieres/is first available.

3 Likes

I don’t subscribe directly to Adult Swim, is it free?

4 Likes

You don’t have to subscribe to Adult Swim. If you still have cable, its part of Cartoon Network, which is typically a basic tier included in cable. If you have cable service, or a family member does, you can log into the Adult Swim website with the sign in credentials for the cable system and watch the show it, it will prompt you for that the same way you are prompted to log into DCUI to read a comic book.

There is a way to buy a season pass on iTunes (and other services that sell full seasons, like Vudu) and those look like they are dropping (at least the iTunes ones) reasonably at the same time as the cable broadcast would be in your time zone, but it would be difficult to expect to do that for a live WAL.

I don’t think DCUI needs to serve the interest of every single person here, even of smaller slices of that pie, such as every single person interested in animated Superman, or even 100% of every single DCUI community member with even the remotest passing interest in My Adventures With Superman. Because that’s going to be impossible to do.

The problem with this, as far as I understand it from other situations that are not specific to animated or live action WAL, or specific to Superman content, is that - at the moment, we have far too many clubs and groups and events set up for community members, some of which don’t necessarily have the participation of everyone or not everyone knows they are happening and the site is not able - due to other, technical limitations - to allow all of them to be equally promoted.

I agree with the basic statement of your OP post. It’s an important thing and needs far more attention to it paid on a DC specific fan site (not to mention, DC Entertainment run/owned website), even if DCUI is, largely, a comic book reader oriented website service.

Do we need more people? Perhaps, but we also need to be able to have the people running games, quizzes, polls, etc., be able to promote what already exists on the site, which is a concurrent issue. Which has (the promotion aspect) been raised with the site moderators, at minimum.

4 Likes

Most of us, myself included, that are club leaders are your everyday person. We aren’t affiliated with DC in any way outside of being forum members, so :person_shrugging: we are going to find the areas and do the things we enjoy. For example, I host a Young Justice WAL every single Wednesday. It tends to have 2 regular people that come to it. Most of these things have to be watched after the fact. There are people that have no access to Adult Swim. I have no cable provider here. I use Max though. It would need to include people that do not have access to AS. I would love to host a WAL like this, as this show is on my radar. However, what is feasible with the current forum? :thinking:

3 Likes

I don’t know what calamity they think they’ve been avoiding by keeping it so restricitive but having one watchalong arranger for everything current w Superman isn’t working. We need at least three, if this all arranged by volunteers in their spare time.

WB is leaving money on the table by not taking every opportunity to build excitement for their new projects.

2 Likes