đŸ”” 🟣 Nightwing Discussion Thread (SPOILERS) 🟣 đŸ””

I just saw this. It makes me happy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I absolutely loved issue 96! Pretty much everything I wanted to happen in this issue happened, plus some surprises. If I had to quibble there are a couple tweaks I would personally make, but this issue really just delivered on multiple fronts. :smiley:

The 1v1 fight with Blockbuster was great. I liked the energy of the fight and how Nightwing’s acrobatics and speed were highlighted. I actually thought Dick killed Blockbuster for a moment. Down at the street level, Babs subverting goon fight expectations by combining Batgirl and Oracle skill sets was awesome. Babs’ reaction to Dick saying they couldn’t be together was hilarious and heartwarming. The following conversation between these two was a long time coming, and I liked the focus on positive aspects like their happiness. I also liked how their past, present, and future were captured. Oracle and Nightwing. Batgirl and Robin. Dick and Babs. Forever. squee

As much as I love this issue, I had a couple minor quibbles. I can understand Dick’s concern about his secret identity being revealed. However, Babs as Barbara Gordon has been in plenty of danger outside the superhero sphere. In this run alone, she got into a schoolyard fight and was kidnapped. She was shot in her home and out of costume. I was surprised neither example was pointed out. I suppose it wasn’t needed, since Babs says that Dick is worth the risk. I would have tweaked these words to not call out death specifically and to say that “we” are worth the risk. I think that would have paralleled the happiness talk better. Perhaps stressing Dick’s worth is a callback to earlier in the series.

I have been loving the art in this book. Redondo has become one of my favorite artists. However, the damage on Nightwing’s suit this issue was distracting. It just had random circular cut outs that had no frayed edges, no fabric flaps, no texture.

3 Likes

Great write-up! :fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

I haven’t read the new ish just yet, but after having read your thoughts on it, I’m even more excited now, which says a lot, as I’m always excited for Taylor’s Nightwing.

Speaking of, I just re-read the World’s Finest Sons crossover between Nightwing and Superman: Son of Kal-El, and that is one fine two-parter that is definitely a highlight of Taylor’s DC oeuvre.

3 Likes

Nightwing 96 was great. I’d been kind of falling out of the Dick Grayson Fanclub, but that comic did a amazing job of reminding me why Nightwing is one of the best characters, ever. After reading it I ended up rereading a bunch of the series.
I give NW #96 a 9/10. I subtracted the one point because any story that doesn’t include Tim on at least every other page doesn’t get full credit from me.

2 Likes

Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

3 Likes

:joy:
it’s probably a good thing I re read a bunch because on my first read through, it had released up to #90 already, and I read all 90 of them in 4 days and thats roughly 22 issues a day and i definitely forgot most of what happened

1 Like

Props to you for reading 90 comics in 4 days, all the same.

1 Like

thank you, it’s one of my proudest accomplishments

1 Like

A feat to be proud of, for sure.

I’d celebrate with some Ovaltine, as I bet Dick (and Tim, even) enjoys a nice frothy glass of the stuff after a night out of cracking skulls.

1 Like

when i finished i celebrated by eating mac n cheese lmao

1 Like

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, right? Right?

2 Likes

duh what other kind is there

1 Like

Generic crap that tastes like cheese-flavored socks and that Blockbuster would eat, because he has terrible taste. :joy:

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

I finally got around to reading something on that damn mental list. Read Nightwing #78 last night. I can see why it is so highly recommended. Engaging narrative, dynamic action, heartfelt moments, fantastic art, and most importantly, new reader friendly. Consider me a fan :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

Oh hi, @moro! :wave:t2:

Hot damn, its a party now! :partying_face:

Chime in as you make your way through Taylor’s run, friend, as it gets better with each and every issue.

2 Likes

I loved the flashback scene as well as Dick’s mentoring. Big bro Dick is one of my favorite things, and this really had me missing his relationship with Damian. I hope we get to see their dynamic explored in this series as well, even though some more Nightwing solo action (like the awesome fight in 96!) is highly anticipated. We just got several covers with Damian, so hopefully that’s hinting at an appearance sometime soon. Maybe with Nite-mite

2 Likes

Ha, I can be the same way with my favorite characters. I’ll go look up appearances, then search through issues searching for my character. Sometimes I get hooked on whatever story and discover fun new things, other times I see a random cameo, sigh, and move on to the next appearance.

Glad you enjoyed Nightwing! He’s one of my favorites, and I love the current creative team. I’ll admit that chunks of the 2016 series were not my cup of tea, so blazing through everything in one sitting is quite impressive! If you haven’t checked it out, I also recommend Chuck Dixon’s 1996 run. Taylor references it quite a bit.

2 Likes

i will admit this was during a time period in which i was crushing on nightwing so the hours of my time i was losing was well worth it to me :rofl:

i actually own a few of those! i enjoy that series as well

2 Likes

Y’know
I’m toying of making this a Chuck Dixon/Tom Taylor Nightwing thread, now.

What to do
:thinking:

1 Like