Nightwing #78 and #79 Sell Out and Go Back to Print, Robins Reunite in Nightwing #80

Yes I realize the review was negative and apologies if that wasn’t your intent but the phrasing of you saying it like that comes off as very condescending.

As for the review, it rightfully calls out that Taylor is essentially revisiting some of what Chuck Dixon already did, particularly in relation to Blockbuster suddenly returning. Maybe it’s partly because of two years of “Ric” Grayson adding to it, but I’m happy to see a Nightwing I recognize and looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. The world that Redondo has built with his artwork is gorgeous too.

1 Like

Dick Grayson is taking over my November pull list

Nightwing #86
Nightwing Annual #1
Robin and Batman #1 and 2
Robins #1
Titans United #3

and there’s other Robins
Batman '89 #4
Robin #8
Robin Annual #1
Batman: The Adventures Continue Season II #7

not on my pull list but still has Dick Grayson appearing
Fear State Omega #1
Teen Titans Academy #9

Love Redondo’s art (even if he doesn’t like me very much). But a Nightwing you recognize? (Another thing that’s gonna come off condescending but not meant to be) Since when has Nightwing been a bumbling bafoon who can’t complete a simple mission without help from the Batfam? It’s almost as if he hasn’t been doing this since he was 9. Just saying…

been enjoying the story ark as I just started with Nightwing. I wish the artists would keep babs freckles they seem to have disappeared.

Wait…Do you think Shelton Lyle from Nightwing 78 could be Heartless?

To me, Dick’s voice is very familiar/recognizable, especially in the beginning, but I agree that he takes way too many hits in this run. I mean, I didn’t particularly like Barbara getting the drop on him in 78, but figured they’ve known each other long enough to be able to pull that kind of stunt on each other. So, ok… But then the wallet theft, concussion, getting hit going in another window, etc. doesn’t fit that rationale. I get that he could be out of practice or something due to be shot in the head and mind controlled for an extended period, but if that’s the story it should be explicitly stated. Otherwise, Dick is one of the best fighters and detectives in the DCU and he should be showcased as such. Full agreement on that point! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well ngl someone on Twitter did send me a photo where they say he has brain damage and headaches that cause him to pass out BUT he didn’t have ANY of that during the Amnesiac Ric era and the headaches that originated during that time were explicitly stated to be caused by the crystal that controlled his memories which is now destroyed. All of this is stupid and just an excuse for Tom Taylor to make a joke of the character. He obviously didn’t read ■■■■.

Edit:
OH! And let’s not forget that as Ric he was more capable in fighting crime then with his muscle memory! But not now.
And it’s irritating asf to watch the run get praised for including “nods to Dixon’s run”, but not include any of what it important or impactful isn’t really a good thing. It’s lazy like hey look at me I wiki searched information for you :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: please give me a ■■■■■■■ break.

I like a number of things in this run, especially Redondo’s art and Dick reconnecting with the DCU (Batfam in particular). As stated above, though, I have some (growing) issues with it, which I hope are course corrected. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen in Nightwing 84/85, which don’t have the art to offset my disappointment. In fact, my biggest gripe with 85 is with what I see as a missed opportunity to show rather than tell.

Aside from a general annoyance that Dick and Babs - both experienced vigilantes - walk into the fear gas trap, I feel that the whole next sequence should have been from BOTH perspectives. Seer tells us that both fear losing the other… Why not illustrate the parallel? We see Dick get shot in the head, great, makes sense for Babs to react strongly to that fear. A mirror panel having Dick watch Babs get shot through the spine could have shown the exact same emotion. Or, if just not seeing her was the fear, then show him frantically searching for her/calling as he fights the fear goon instead of yelling her name once. After Robin saves them (sigh), they look absolutely wrecked, but we didn’t really get to share the experience with Dick. I mean, I liked getting Barbara’s POV for the anti-Oracle/Seer and on Dick coming to Gotham, but I really missed Dick’s POV in these fear scenes.

As for developments, I would actually like some dialogue/context for the kisses in recent issues. Babs initiated both, which fine, but while Dick smiled in the aftermath of the previous kiss, he barely seemed to move here. Like not even an arm wrap or hand to her cheek. (Did his arm get broken? I couldn’t tell if the angle was weird because of that or the art style, which is not really to my taste.) Don’t get me wrong, I want these two together (favorite DC couple!), but the rush of emotions here would have played better for me if we got to see both characters’ POVs.

Edit: In regards to the art, why does the Batgirl emblem change colors? Last issue it was yellow like on the cover (looks great!) and character sketch for this issue, but inside it’s black.

1 Like

I can’t quote your spoil blurs but I’m going to respond anyway.

I loved that we only saw Babs’ fear hallucination. It was refreshing not to see the female hero die for the millionth time in a comic. Maybe I have this view because I am female and that is just my POV. I know that this is Nightwing’s comic but it was a nice change of pace for me.

We’ve all seen Babs get shot in the back/spine a billion times, I didn’t want to see it again. Taylor avoided that by having it from Babs’ POV and seeing Dick get shot instead. And since it is his comic it was still a nice use of the fear toxin. Which is always a surprise no matter how many times the Batfam encounters it.

It is always interesting to me to see everyone’s perspective of certain things. The specific thing that I loved about this issue is one of the things you picked out that you disliked. It’s funny how that works out.

1 Like

Interesting! I agree that Barbara getting shot again isn’t new, so I would have been fine with Dick just being unable to find her and calling out frantically or something (more than once). I actually thought about not including the parallel shootings as an example for the reasons stated; however, I figured the direct parallel description would be easier for me to articulate. I’m sure an artist could pull off the fear associated with just outright losing a person in darkness.

As for the fear toxin, I agree that our heroes often get hit with it, lol. The issue description pretty much gives that part away, and truthfully I was looking forward to seeing the impact and recovery realizations play out. Unfortunately, I think my expectations ran away with me because most of this issue had nothing to do with that. Edit: I re-read it. Liked it more the second time, so I think expectations played a big role in my disappointment. That said, I think walking into the gas trap without bad guy guards would have helped my issue with the trap and with giving more time to the fear and recovery portion of the story. I assume they wanted a clear team up fight though.

1 Like