Nightwing #50

So, what did you guys think of it? I can roll with this for a storyline but I really hope they don’t leave him like this for a prolonged amount of time.

1 Like

Same thouhgts, OP. Never let it be said that I am against new ideas, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. No wonder Ben Percy bailed from this

1 Like

On a positive note though I did like the art. BUT I have to ask why why the tighty whitey undies.

1 Like

I looked at the issue again and noticed that the bar that Barbra follows him into is called Prodigal Bar. Doesn’t really have much of a ring to it but I’m guessing it’s paying homage to the old Prodigal storyline from Batman.

1 Like

yeah i hope he dosent stay like this for a whole 10 issues.it will get old fast. he got shot in the head in batman #55 by the kg beast so i get he has masssive brain damage but im sure batman is gonna fix him or something with some tech

It’s definitely an interesting direction. When it comes to Dick’s defining attributes, I think the most present are his desire to be independent, and his ability to quickly cope with trauma (at least more so than most of the Bat-Clan, especially Bruce). Most of the time, these are played as his biggest strengths, the things that make him rise above and be his own man, better than Bruce in many ways. So it’s pretty interesting to have him in a situation where those attributes actually play against him, and those strengths can become weaknesses.

This story could go bad in many ways, but right now, I’m intrigued to see where they go with it, as long as it isn’t around for too terribly long.

1 Like

My worst fear is that this is all a set up to make him the shooter in the Heroes in Crisis story. I hope he can dodge that bullet at least.

1 Like

I personally have had a hard time adjusting to Dick as Nightwing again after he FINALLY became Batman and was doing such an amazing job of it. I feel like this is the start of the first interesting arc since those days. He’s my favorite DC character, the once and future Batman, and I think his brain damage is going to send the character to some very dark and riveting places and I very much hope things don’t get patched up too soon. I’m into it!

I guess reinventing himself has kind of become his schtick. If they are going to keep it going for awhile I for one would really like to see some interaction between him and Jason Todd. I think they might finally be able to bond with each other.

No. I reject this, every last bit of it. THAT’S NOT NIGHTWING!!! Words can not describe my anger. I don’t even know who to be mad at. Scott Lobdell for writing it, Tom King for putting Nightwing in this situation or DC for kicking Ben Percy off the book for this. I guess their trying to cash in on Titans by making Dick Grayson the ultimate edgelord.

Im not sure how I feel about the arc yet. I am interested to see what will happen with it, I’m always down for something interesting to happen. Although I am pretty sad that the Dick Grayson we know of is gone (hopefully for the moment) I’m sure he’ll figure out he’s ment to be Nightwing.
I have hope it’ll turn out better than some might think.

I forgot to mention the art! The art in this issue is fantastic, Travis Moore (the artist) drew it so well. I can’t praise his work enough, even in the Batman prelude to the wedding (I think, with Nightwing and Hush I believe) Moore knocked it out of the park. If DC could get him to draw every issue of Nightwing ever I’d be happy with that!

2 Likes

I really dont understand why people dislike it so much I love nightwing and thought it was amazing can’t wait for more

Surprisingly I enjoyed the issue but I can see this getting old really fast. I do want the old dick back but I also hope some of these changes cause permanent consequences so that this will actually be a pivotal story and not just an attempt at shock value

1 Like

I think memory loss is overdone (we’ve recently seen it in Batman, surrounding Wally, and apparently will see it in Aquaman). I think we’ve recently seen Dick near death (Forever Evil) and isolated from family/friends (Grayson). We recently saw Dick choose to pick up the Nightwing persona again - and in proper colors!(Rebirth). I think #50 was beautifully drawn and better than I expected, but I’m just not that interested in seeing Dick become Ric. The current story arc may use the opportunity to highlight some potentially overshadowed aspects of Dick, like detective skills vs physicality or stealthy vs flashy or serious/angry vs wise-cracking/optimistic, which could be interesting, but I hope the road to becoming Nightwing again and integrated with friends/family isn’t long. I like Dick Grayson interacting with the Bat-family. I like Dick and Babs’ relationship. I like the brotherly dynamic between Robins. I like that Dick is such a key member of the Bat-family - even wearing the cowl - without being consumed by the grimmer aspects most other members share. I like that he can be a leader, partner, support, and solo hero.

1 Like