New Year, New Super-Man! - Read Along @ModernAgeSupermanClub

New Year, New Super-Man!

Ring in the New Year with the @ModernAgeSupermanClub’s first pick for 2022! :fireworks: :partying_face: :champagne:

Rising from the ashes of The Final Days of Superman, award-winning writer Gene Luen Yang and on-the-rise art star Victor Bogdanovic introduce readers to Kong Kenan—the New Super-Man! When the world needed a new hero, China made him!

:books: Read:
New Super-Man (2016) #1-6

Summary

“MADE IN CHINA” Chapter One An impulsive act of heroism thrusts an arrogant young man into the limelight of Shanghai as China begins to form its own Justice League of powerful heroes.

Details
Writer Penciler Inkers Cover Artists
Gene Luen Yang Viktor Bogdanovic Richard Friend, Viktor Bogdanovic Viktor Bogdanovic, Kelsey Shannon

:speaking_head: Discuss:

• Tell us your thoughts on Kong Kenan and the New Super-Man series in the comments below!

• Have your read further than issue 6 in this series?

• Have you read other comics by Gene Luen Yang like Superman Smashes the Klan?

Keep an eye out for weekly readings all year long with tie in watch parties to boot!
Join the Modern Age Superman Club by clicking here!

7 Likes

I love this series!

Not only was New Super-Man a highlight of the Superbooks of the Rebirth era, but it was a great highlight of the era in general, regardless of franchise.

Looking forward to what folks have to say on this one!

4 Likes

I’m excited to give it a read! I haven’t checked out the New Super-Man yet!

4 Likes

It’s good.

Now, you’ll excuse me. I’m going to re-submit requests for New Super-Man figures to the offices of Spin Master, as well as one Mr. Todd McFarlane.

One day, we will have the Justice League of China on our shelves. This, I doth declare!
:point_up:t2: :clark_hv_4:

4 Likes

I really enjoyed these issues. I have never read this series before. I will have to read more to see where it goes. It was interesting to see Kong Kenan transition from bully to hero.

3 Likes

Wait when’s the deadline?

3 Likes

@Jurisdiction There’s no deadline.

While we’ll typically post new selections on a weekly basis, folks can read and comment at their leisure.

@scoop001 I’m glad you enjoyed the inaugural issues.

As you progress through the series, feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

3 Likes

Oh great! I already downloaded the first 6 issues for my plane ride home!

4 Likes

Excellent!

Reading comics on the flight beats staring at the back of the seat in front of you.

When I fly, I sometimes daydream as I look out the window that Superman or other characters might zip past as they head to their next adventure.

Again, it beats staring at the back of the seat in front of you. Or flipping through an old issue of SkyMall magazine.

4 Likes

I’m really looking forward to reading his character arc this week!

4 Likes

Welcome back Modern Age Superman Club!!!

I will be adding this to my list of books to read.

4 Likes

I barely knew anything about Kong Kenan before reading this. I loved his character arc and I loved the relationships he had with everyone. I really enjoyed the heartfelt conversations between him and the Wonder Woman of China. Basically, I love him! He’s my second favorite version (Val-Zod still takes the cake for my favorite).

I only downloaded issues 1-6, but I plan on reading the rest at home.

I loved Superman Smashes the Klan! It’s actually my favorite series! Gene Luen Yang is awesome!

3 Likes

I love hearing your love for the character! :grin:

3 Likes

I love hearing your love for hearing my love for the character!

3 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

I love hearing the love that others have when they discover a new to them series that they love to love because of how lovely it is.

3 Likes

It’s amazing to me that DC came up with not one but TWO Chinese teams that are stuffed with characters I like, the Justice League of China and the Great Ten.

I have read the entire series and it’s good from start to finish.

From Gene Luen Yang I have read this series, Superman vs. the Clan, his run on New52 Superman, the Terrifics and his excellent run on Batman/Superman from 2021. He’d be on my short list to replace Bendis on Justice League.

6 Likes

A Gene Luen Yang-penned Justice League would be awesome.

4 Likes

Just read the first three issues for the first time. Not bad stuff!

4 Likes

:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

3 Likes