New Wally West series, post HIC

For those Wally fans upset over Heroes in Crisis (I’m not of 'em). Hope this newly announced series rights the ship for you guys!

https://www.cbr.com/flash-forward-wally-west-heroes-in-crisis-spinoff/

7 Likes

Sounds good.

I like the choice of Brett Booth for art. He chronicled Wally’s initial adventures after his return, so starting off on a new era with Wally makes sense too.

3 Likes

I was excited until I saw it’s Scott Lobdell writing it. I’m not a big fan of his work. Honestly I was hoping it was going to be Joshua Williamson since he seems to be doing great work with Barry.

5 Likes

Normally I agree about Lobdell, but Scott’s Red Hood and the Outlaws series from Rebirth was one of the best Rebirth titles imo.

4 Likes

I’m less concerned with Lobdell’s writing. His work with Red Hood and Outlaws during Rebirth has been some of his best and strongest work to date and he also wrote the Wally West/Speed Buggy special that was well received. To be honest my only concern is Booth’s art, which I generally can’t stand AT ALL. His characters have a tendency to look the same. For example the characters in the N52 Teen Titans look exactly like the characters in the Rebirth Titans just with different costumes and hair color.

2 Likes

Give Lobdell and decent editor, like he’s had on the Red Hood book since Rebirth started and his work is fine.

2 Likes

I’m not concerned with the creative team, but instead, I am highly skeptical of “editorial” and any plans they have for Wally. They have shown no respect and love for the character since Flashpoint so why should now be any different?
I will give the new series a look (Since Wally West is one of DC’s greatest characters–Dan Didio!!) but I’m expecting more of the same. Please DC, prove me wrong!

4 Likes

Me:
New Wally West series? Yay!
Scott Lobdell? Ugh…

3 Likes

@baseballmaniac: I’m skeptical of “editorial” as well, which seems to have a heavier hand in things in recent months. There are a lot of editorial decisions of late across the board that make me leery of them and anything they may want to do with the bulk of their characters. It’s, after all, not just Wally that editorial has treated with a distinct lack of respect but other characters as well.

Still I’m gonna give the book a chance anyway. Maybe DC will prove me wrong this time. Stranger things have happened.

2 Likes

JasonTodd428, spot on about DC “editorial”! Their track record of late with our beloved icons has been abysmal.

I LOVED Scott Lobdell on X-Men, but most of the time his DC work never approaches that level. I’m not thrilled about Brett Booth on art. He’s just not my cup of tea.

1 Like

Wally is one of my favorites, and I really liked his pre-Flashpoint supporting cast. Hopefully, this book does him (and perhaps others in his world) justice.

1 Like

I love Wally and, despite all the stuff from the New 52 that Lobdell wrote that I HATED, Red Hood book has been consistently great since Rebirth. Now if we could do something about Booths art. Seeing that beautiful Shaner cover and knowing what’s inside hurts a little.

2 Likes

" Now if we could do something about Booths art. Seeing that beautiful Shaner cover and knowing what’s inside hurts a little." said @Squatteam1

I totally agree with you there. I suppose we may both be pleasantly surprised with Booth’s art here but I’m certainly not gonna hold my breath. At the moment I’m just hoping that his art isn’t so bad this time that it throws me completely out of the story.

3 Likes

Does anyone knows if this is an ongoing or a mini? I have seen conflicting reports

1 Like

Well it’s something I guess. Personally I truly believe Geoff Johns is the only one capable of fixing this unnecessary mess. But we’ll see.

2 Likes

@FlashLegacy, 6 part mini-series.

1 Like

Heroes in crisis was a great story, the Wally reveal at the end was just dumb.

2 Likes

@moro Thank You.

This article makes it sound like they realize how much they screwed over this character and will really work to try to repair the damage.

https://www-cbr-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbr.com/flash-forward-wally-west-scott-lobdell-brett-booth-interview/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbr.com%2Fflash-forward-wally-west-scott-lobdell-brett-booth-interview%2F

Wish we had a different writer for this series I agree Geoff Johns would be perfect for this book way better than Scott lobdell

1 Like