New Trailer for the Gotham Knights TV Show

Who wrote that idea?

3 Likes

'Twas written by one Hugh Jazz.

2 Likes

They should call it ā€œBat-ardizationā€. Itā€™s just taking various elements and supporting characters and then randomly and cheaply mixing them together.
They could have had the younger cast members of Gotham time-travel in as regular cast members of Batwoman and youā€™d still have something more coherent

3 Likes

Canā€™t wait to see how horrible this is.

4 Likes

Honestly same.

4 Likes

I fully agree with every single take above^^^. :+1:

Why do I get the feeling that this was one of the first DCEU properties that Gunn and Safran wanted to axe but Zsaslav overruled them? :thinking:

ā€œItā€™s what the young people want to see nowadays.ā€ :roll_eyes:

Iā€™m not gonnaā€™ parse my words in this post. Itā€™s as if the creator of this show said ā€œHey, Ive got an idea- letā€™s blend a crappy rendition of The OC series from the early 00ā€™s with some really shakey, loosey-goosey interpretations of beloved DC characters! Ooo- I know: then we make it even more convoluted and title it after a video game that our storyline has absolutely nothing to do with! Whaddya say?!ā€

WB execs in the pitch meeting like

WB front office suite: you cancelled my gurrrlllā€™s big feature film debut :angry:, gave Henry Cavill (the best to play Supes ever since Reeve) his walking papers, cancelled Doom Patrol :angry:, cancelled Stargirl, and now you give usā€¦ this? :flushed:

Iā€™m not even gonnaā€™ watch the premiere. Iā€™m gonnaā€™ wait for a few of the objective and fair TV critics who I keep up with to weigh in on it before I press the play button because WOW- this looks BAD.

And remember- this is coming from a fan who loves WB/DC with ALL of her heart and has done so for thirty plus years. I adore all things :00_dc_2016: (except for comics side rekoJ ehT and ekoJ gnilliK ehT) and I always and forever will. :purple_heart:

#GottaCallEmAsISeeEm

7 Likes

Give this was being filmed before Gunn even came on I doubt they tried to ax it since it was in production. And yes, I know Bargirl and Scoob, but the tax write off for them was because it started before Saffran took over and was outside the window to write it off. They canā€™t just ax anything they want ever and call it a tax write off. Also, WB needs programming, if they cancel one of the only three new shows in production what would they even show?

And if axing it was an option I seriously doubt the guy who is cancelling everything would have been the one to over rule it.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I agree that it looks bad and while I am hoping to be surprised I am not banking on it. But I donā€™t think it was some bigger thing that got it made, CW was trying to make the brand more attractive to their potential buyers, on paper a Batman adjacent show with Gotham in the title sounds like a safer bet than most things they could have made a new show out of, it just didnā€™t (seemingly) work out like many shows donā€™t work out.

3 Likes

This was being made before Zazlav

2 Likes

the pilor was made before Zaslav, but wasnā€™t it picked up after? Or as my memory off?

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s a CW decision that is independant of Warner Brothersā€¦? It is basically Batwoman without an Arrowverse around it to anchor it or legitimize it

2 Likes

Thatā€™s honestly what I thought. I mean reportedley CW was going to renew Legends of Tomorrow and Batwoman and Zaslav didnā€™t want to renew the studio lease so they axed it. (Seems odd and possibly not true, but at the same time if they were required to sign a miulti year lease to continue 2 shows that were extremely likely to not go beyond the one more season CW was renewing, and WBD is famously trying to cut cost then it could be true).

But with WB now only owning 12.5% of CW I doubt it is much up to them anymore. Plus DCU or not, I find it hard to believe a company so focused on money would cancel a show that Nexstar will now be footing the bill for if they wanted to do it. Since that would be guaranteed profits as Nexstar is paying them to make it, and Zaslav is now all about the money. So while the odds are not lookin good CW will renew Superman and Lois or especially Gotham Knights, I also am not buying WBD would not continue making them if WB wanted to.

3 Likes

They were canned before Zas.

2 Likes

thought it was picked up before him

1 Like

Huh. Maybe I am wrong then.

1 Like

Iā€™m getting sick of the whole Batman is gone so this other team of superheroes must save Gotham type of trope. I believe I will pass on Gotham Knights. Superman and Louis, on the other hand, I am too invested to miss.

4 Likes

I was done with it with the GK videogame

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to give this Series a try; but I donā€™t find any of the trailers impressive (my concerns are if Gotham Knights is just going to be Bat Woman 2.0 - under budgeted with repetitive fight scenes via one stunt coordinator and two stunt personnel!)

I believe trying to tailor it to just a teen audience is going to immediately lose viewers (why not be adult + teen like Superman and Lois?)

I will not be surprised if this is a summer series with 10 Episodes, then gone :thinking:

2 Likes

Well it premieres in March so not a Sumer series, given CW has admitted they are cancelling all but around 3 shows thought I doubt it is getting a second season, unless it is some huge surprise hit but even then CW might decide they canā€™t afford to keep it.

2 Likes

March seems to be when Superman and Lois will return to broadcast with Gotham Knights debuting alongside it ā€¦ unless CW decides on utilizing the last Season of The Flash to promote this new Series.

Unless it miraculously lasts more than one Season on a streamer, I get the impression Gotham Knights will be just like typical CW programming over the Summer (one and done to the CW app).

Superman and Lois has Episodes on the CW app after television broadcast, then goes straight to HBO Max.

The Flash has Episodes on the CW app after television broadcast, then goes straight to Netflix (itā€™s the last of the DC CW to contractually have this arrangement).

Gotham Knights is scheduled to be broadcast on the CW Network then go straight to the CW app (no arrangements with HBO Max, on Netflix, for streaming - which makes me again feel like itā€™s a one and done). :thinking:

2 Likes

They are not moving it to MAX after it airs, I thought that was standard fare now after a Warner produced show airs on CW?

Although guess that could be changing, I mean presumably this year the merged HBO MAX/Discovery+ streaming service will debut so there wonā€™t be any HBO MAX anymore.

I hope it moves to MAX (or whatever it is called by then) just because it would be nice if MAX could be a mostly complete (at least as much as anything can be in the streaming landscape) archive of DC Content. But who knows.

2 Likes