[New to DCU] Weekly Releases: Batman and the Outsiders #1 and Flash #70 (Year One: Part One)

Hey everyone! Welcome to our humble abode!! Thanks to everyone who joined us last week and anyone joining us for the first time this week! This club is for those who WANT to get into current comics that are just arriving on DCU. This month we are trying out a new format that we used to use a year ago. Where we instead curate the titles you SHOULD be reading this week. I will try my absolute best to give you a mix of accessible titles with no needed prior reading and some that will require it.
This week we are reading Batman and the Outsiders #1 and Flash #70

So let’s talk about Batman and the Outsiders #1

Official Description

When the quest for justice drives Batman into some morally ambiguous areas, he calls in the most moral man he knows: Jefferson Pierce, a.k.a. Black Lightning, and his team of operatives known as the Outsiders!

Several years ago Batman personally put the Barrera family into hiding after they suffered through terrible experiments at the hands of an organization called the Ark. Now all but one of them have turned up dead…and Batman needs to locate Sofia Barrera before the wrong people get their hands on her—and her surprising power! But it wouldn’t be Batman without a hidden agenda, would it? And when Black Lightning, Katana, the Signal and Orphan find out what Batman is really up to, their every loyalty will be called into question.

Art by: Dexter Soy

Cover by: Tyler Kirkham

Variant cover by: Stjepan Sejic

Written by: Bryan Hill

Discussion Questions

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Batman and the Outsiders #1?
  2. What was your favorite moment in the story?
  3. Did you read Detective Comics: On the Outside?
  4. What the think of the team line-up overall?
  5. What do you think of this mysterious Kaliber and Ishmael?
  6. What is the best relationship so far (Black lightning and Katana, Batman and Black Lightning, etc.)
  7. Should we keep reading the series?

Second: Flash #70

Official Description

“The Flash Year One” starts here! Barry Allen feels helpless in his life in Central City. As a forensic scientist, he’s always catching criminals after they’ve committed their crimes. All that changes one fateful night when Barry is struck by a bolt of lightning and doused in chemicals. When he wakes from a coma, he realizes he can run at incredible speeds. Can Barry master these powers and be the hero his city needs…or will the powers burn through him?

Art by: Howard Porter
Cover by: Howard Porter
Variant cover by: Toni Infante
Written by: Joshua Williamson

Discussion Questions

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Flash #70
  2. What was your favorite moment in the story?
  3. Do you like Year One stories?
  4. How did you feel the opening scene with Barry and his Mom?
  5. What is your favorite part of the power testing sequence?
  6. What did you think of that insane ending?

I would love to hear your general reactions to the stories as well!

When: 2020-05-06T07:00:00Z → 2020-05-11T07:00:00Z

Primer: If you want one because you want to get more background context before you start, let me know!

Want to join the club for an exclusive ever-changing flair, notifications, AND early access to reading orders? Join the club by clicking this link: DC Universe

Want to chat on discord? Use this link to join over 200 fans! https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me on through messaging.

-----------------------

New to DCU Wiki

3 Likes

Nice, perfect selection Nathan! And I just took advantage of the bookmark / reminder function here now.

2 Likes

I just read Batman and the Outsiders. It is my first time reading it (or any Outsiders comic).

I really like the idea of Black Lightning as a role model / leader for troubled teens/heroes. Typically I’ve read Black Lightning as having more confidence as a hero and leader though, so this seems like a different take on the character. Bruce having innate confidence in him as team leader, and just leaving them to him without further guidance shows a lot and sets the stage that while this is “Batman and the Outsiders” it really is Batman apart from the Outsiders.

I like the team lineup. Duke / Signal is probably the character I know the least about, but he’s also the newest character. I did read him in Detective Comics (and On the Outside) and feel there is a lot to explore with the character. He almost seems like one character too many for the core Batman comics as he seemed to be brought on as integral, but faded quickly to the background.

Kaliber reminds me of a character from another publisher. Like straight riff on him. Not even hiding it. Which is hilarious. Once he started talking I thought of what trope it was. I’m interested to see if there are twists to the storyline but if not… whew… not a great starting plot.

All in all I’m interested in seeing where the series goes.

1 Like

First time reading this issue. I haven’t read much Flash since New 52 (huge Wally West fan… never a huge Barry Allen fan).

My favorite it was seeing the piles of running shoes that Barry went through. It is interesting to see he stole(?) Wayne-tech boots from the Fire Department - I mean how else did he get them? Borrow them as Barry Allen and then wear them as Flash?

Year One stories are interesting. I like seeing the different generational takes on the origins of characters. Having read comics for 20+ years now, the different writer’s origin stories for the same characters can have a lot of similar threads running through them. Barry and his mother - it seems to be one of those threads. It makes me wonder when that was added to his origin.

And the ending was great. It’s a good set-up / cliff - hanger.

Quick Edit - Why would someone whose super-power is running/speed, and who is trying to figure out / test his powers, wear jeans instead of some exercise / running gear?

2 Likes

If you are looking for more about Signal, I would try Batman and the Signal (2018). It has its moments, but a lot of the ideas mentioned have felt missing from the rest of the line. I totally agree that he doesn’t feel nessecary.

2 Likes

I’ve read the lead in from Detective Comics for this series, however this is the first time I’ve diving into this. I’ve heard good things about the series, and I quote enjoyed it.

I do like the line-up, although I hope we end up with more than just 4 members (not counting Batman) on the team. I especially liked the relationship between Katana and Black Lightning and her willingness to tell him like it is.

I’m digging the storyline. It has me curious as to where it’s going, and I’ll be reading the rest of the series with it without you good folk!

1 Like

I do enjoy Year One stories, however I’m not sure we needed another Flash origin story. I did like it and I thought the art was wonderful, especially when the lightning struck:

I liked the scenes with his mom, however they had me disliking Barry the adult because he was so mopey. My favorite part of the power testing was the ending, and it should be interesting seeing what happens next issue between Barry and Barry.

3 Likes

Flash 70:

1. 1st time reading
  2. Fav moment, the last three pages.
  3. I do not like Year One stories ever, I avoid them like Covid.
  4. Opening scene thoughts: I honestly know of no mother in the year 2009 or so with hordes of old comics in their attic that they themselves owned or puchased. It isn’t impossible, but so very very unlikely that it distracted from the rest of the scene for me.
  1. Power testing scenes: the part where he forgets his fast thoughts is intriguing. We do have a part of memory that remembers specifics / exact details that has about a 20 minute life span before it disappears into our subconsious or whereever (unless a person is cursed with “eidetic” memory). So Flash forgetting his torrent of thoughts makes sense.
  2. I am totally on board with making a Year One yawn into a smile with old man Flash appearing in an apocalypic future scene.

One reason Year One stories aren’t of interest to me is that after reading comics for 55 years, I’ve already read the “real” Year One for almost all current characters, and have seen TV and movie versions of their Year One, so I don’t “lay me down to sleep” praying for yet another version of a Year One.

Flash is a wonderful childhood memory for me. Something about the mid '60s Flash, with suit springing out of a ring and expanding, super clever villains who are still around, and outlandish situations that only a time travelling speedster could get involved in had me hooked early, much like his sometimes-buddy The Atom.

2 Likes

Opps, I accidentally read Batman and the Outsiders #1 as well today, but all good.

1. Yup, 1st time.
  2. Fav moment - I can’t say I had one "favorite " moment, but as a whole the comic worked as a set up for whatever is to come.
  3. If Detectivie Comics “on the outside” was that series we read in New to DCU several months ago, I guess I did, if tht was the one withthe guy in the one eyed suit that kinda resembles O.M.A.C. people robots circa 2008.
  4. Team lineup is ok, has potential.
  5. I saw Kaliber, didn’t notice an “Ishmael” yet. I thought it was funny that this issue and the Flash reading both end with a surpise about the future.
  6. Best relationship: Again, all are intriguing, but the Bruce / Black Lightning scenes are fun.
  7. Sure, let’s keep reading this and the Flash.
2 Likes

Batman and the Outsiders

1. Yes, this is the first time I’ve read anything about the outsiders. I actually don’t know much about them outside of the few animated appearances. So thank you for the background information you gave!

2. I love that they kept some original Japanese in Katana’s dialogue. I really loved when she called out to Maseo for help after Black Lightning left.

3. No, I have not.

4. This is the first time I’ve seen anything involving Signal. I’ve heard of him, just never got around to reading anything involving him. I wonder if it’ll ever get to be like the Bat-kids vs the parents lol.

5. I’m interested to learn more about the future Kaliber mentions. Honestly thought Ishmael might be a Parasite copy. Though we haven’t seen if he can use other’s powers or if he’s only got the death touch.

6. Personally, I like Black Lightning and Katana’s business relationship they’ve got going on. BL seems like the kind of guy who needs a partner. The kind that won’t be afraid to disagree or push buttons. I think Katana will compliment him beautifully.

7. I wouldn’t mind reading more. But I’m also not desperate to know more? I guess because this was just a set up for the series.

1 Like

Flash: Year One

1. Yes. I actually bought the trade a month ago, just hadn’t found time to read. I pulled out my trade to read instead of reading digitally.

2. I really liked the opening with Barry and Nora. But I also loved the end where the turtle goons are like “Oi, where’s your shell, bro??”

3. I’ve only read a handful of them. And some of those being non-canon "what if"s. I’ve liked the ones I’ve read, which were Batman and Black Canary. I have plans to read others.

4. I loved it! I love that the comics belong to his mom. Noticed they were Jay Garrick Flash. The things Nora tells Barry I think are things everyone should hear once in their life.

5. The pile of shoes!! Like is he ordering the same shoe online? Or is he going to the same footlocker and getting Brad to sell him the same shoe? Maybe Brad is giving him a discount if he buys in bulk.

6. I’m not crazy for older Flash’s sleeveless tunic if I’m being honest. I was surprised that Barry was able to time travel so early on. I’m interested to see how it develops.

Whether we continue to read this one in the club or not, I’m going to continue it because I bought the trade. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of my favorite things about Impulse (Bart Allen) was that he could recall everything he ever read. It doesn’t ever come up anymore, but I thought it was neat twist when used in pre-52 Teen Titans.

1 Like

I was thinking about this short-term memory concept for us human beings as I was it work today calculating some obscure hours for some program I manage and I remember looking at some number maybe it was 6120 I’m saying to myself “well yeah sure that makes sense, I don’t need to write that down cuz I’m going to put it in the system in a few minutes”…and realizing that in a very short time I would never remember that number again in my conscious mind.

1 Like

Except maybe now that you’ve written it down and talked about it with us. Memory is weird and fascinating.

1 Like

May we have another serving of [New to DCU] please? Every other week is fine if that works better by the way.

I do like the two issue servings. @Nathan.Payson

1 Like

@Don-El There wasn’t a great choice this week… I do have great plans for tuesday.

1 Like

@ralphsix @Soreita @Meisaj

While we wait for @Nathan.Payson to finish up at school and Friday Graduation ceremonies (congrats buddy!), I thought it might be fun for us all to post here on this thread other “New to DCU” comics we may have read the past 2 or 3 weeks. The News “What’s new” area keeps all the weekly Tuesday announcements of what was new each week, so here goes, I’ll start us off:

2 Likes

May 19th: a light week, but I plan to enjoy Superman #11

and already enjoyed the next to final final issue of Naomi (#5).

May 26th: The Flash #71 was fun again,

and I plan to soon read Dial H for Hero #3.

I am slowly reading the Terrifics, but I am way behind on that one, fun and exciting as it is (my life is too these days, lol- I get to live out all my fav apocalyse shows). Freedom Fighters I am also noting, but not sure when I’ll have the guts to read it, that’s way toooo close to reality right now.

What have you been reading of the newly digitized books?

I read 'em all!

Naomi has been an absolute magnificent series. I had no idea it was going to be that good when I started it and I hope there’s another “season” of it eventually.

Dial H for Hero has been really good so far, too, but it’s one of those series where I enjoy it while reading it, and then promptly forget it. I have to go back and remind myself what happened the issue before.

1 Like

Yeah that’s probably one of the biggest challenges with anyone trying to write Dial H for Hero- hard to keep it as a sustaining idea and build a fanbase for a character when the whole concept is to have a cascade of characters. How would you be able to get someone to remember anything that happens or to have a commitment to the series that’s really about maybe 40 characters in 12 issues.

Sam Humphries has enough of a mystery going on with the runaway girl that it has somewhat of a hook that way. It’s definitely an entertaining series but, agreed, just don’t quiz me on it a day later

I really enjoyed the experience of reading the New 52 version between the high class best selling author that was writing it and the fantastic art work. It had a very compelling backstory the helped tie it all together.

1 Like