[New to DCU] How Bendis's Action Comics Changed for the Worst: Mini-Opinion Article

I think the bigger worry is that the Superman line is bombing
Superman #17 - 46,132 and #28
Action Comics #1017 35,996 and #48
Lois Lane #5: - 19,559 and #107
Jimmy Olsen #5 - 14,586 and #144
Supergirl #36 - 18,245 and #115
Supergirl Annual #2 - 17,134 and #123
Event Leviathan #6 - 42,092 and #34
Legion of Superheroes #1 - 51,975 and #21
Legion of Superheroes #1 Cardstock - 23,776 and #87
For comparison
Batman Line:
Batman #82 - 71,310 and #9
Batman #83 - 60,307 and #15
Batman White Night presents Von Freeze #1 51,975 and #19
Batman/Superman #4 - 45,796 and #29
Batman’s Grave #2 - 39,621 and #39
Batman and the Outsiders #7 25,103 and #80
Batman #83 Card Stock 21,620 and #92
Batman Beyond #38 23,776 and #112
Batman vs. Ra’s Al Ghul #3 23,776 and #114
Batman #82 Card Stock 18,222 and #116
Batman Universe #5 17,091 and #124
Batgirl #41 16,969 and #126
Detective Comics #101543,928 and #31
Detective Comics # 1016 36,324 and #47

1 Like

But Supergirl shouldn’t be losing to 12 Batman Titles and Lois Lane. Bendis is ultimately responsible for the rest of the line bombing (especially when the rest of the line is critically received better)

2 Likes

Marc Andreyko. It’s alright.

But Supergirl has been rebooted to fit with Bendis’s creative vision.

Bendis is the creative head so it’s his job to set the tone for the line of titles.

1 Like

Superman and Action Comics set the tone for the rest of the Superman series when Tomasi and Jurgens were in charge.
Ex. Superman Reborn, Oz Effect

4 Likes

Superman by Tomasi and Action Comics by Jurgens? ABSOLUTELY!

6 Likes

Good to know I have an ally! :blush:

3 Likes

@dogwelder9: I lit candles when I heard Bendis was going to write Superman.

1 Like

I read All New X men by Bendis. It was very good.

So my criticism on.Bendis is based on what titles he is unsuitable for.

His Young Justice is fine.

His last Superman issue was not bad but he seems uninterested in anything to do with family or marriage.

1 Like

My top five things Bendis has done:

1. Ultimate Spider-Man
  2. Powers (the first run, it went off the rails after that)
  3. Alias
  4. Daredevil
  5. Batman: Universe
1 Like

I have it on my “good comics” shelf with Gotham Central and Fell.

2 Likes

Bendis is one dimensional and a one trick pony. He reminds me of fughter pilots who give themselves their own call sign like “maverick " or something lame like that…” the great one" ? Really, says who…not most of the fans…as much as I think McFarlane is not a cool person, at least he helped spur a revolution in art and indies … Bendis needs to go break some other superhero…

1 Like

Take batman out…the rest weren’t bad. But not “great”. He’s done and outta juice.

1 Like

What was wrong with Batman Universe? I thought it was super well written and plotted and, of course, a ton of fun. I like a more colorful, fun Batman every once in awhile. I think Bendis gave us just that.

2 Likes

I really can’t stand his predictable formulas of destroying everything to “OMG” shock the reader into the worst of unpaplable soap opera garbage. I don’t think fans will be apologizing to him as he predicted…Bendis…you really stink.

2 Likes

You know how much you guys hate Bendis? It’s my most commented on post ever (at 53) and was originally about how Bendis’s action comics run lost it’s way and how the initial issues of the series were actually pretty good. Once Leviathan started the run fell apart and hasn’t recovered.

2 Likes

Theory: The worst X-men run of the decade was Uncanny X-Men which gave their writer permission to do almost anything because Hickman was on the way. What if DC is letting Bendis do what he wants because Superman’s next writer will be 5G and will reset alot of this continuity? Hmmmm.

2 Likes

@Nathan.Payson

Thanks for giving me a ray of hope.

Clark as Superboy can now in.the Legion again. because it is now cannon

If he spends a lot of time with the Legion. Clark.could gain experience that way and do a few secret misdions as a teenager without being known before coming out as Superman

He just gained his power at 16 rather than 21 or so

Hey Guys!!! I found the reason why Bendis is still writing DC Comics. NO JOKE. This is the ACTUAL Description for the Trade of Superman Vol. 3 Look at third paragraph. I think DC doesn’t realize something…

Well… it is almost impossible to destroy the Superman mythos.

But impossible things happen everyday…

I have tried this sack of burning crap and honestly I don’t think I will continue.

Has no understanding of the character and is just screwing around for shock effect.

Naturally when he is done with this hack job there will be a reboot…

I will just wait…

2 Likes