[New to DCU] Hawkman: Awakening (Hawkman(2018) #1-6

Hey Everyone Click here for my Weekly Note!

Hey everyone! Welcome to our humble abode!! Thanks to everyone who joined us last week and anyone joining us for the first time this week! This club is for those who WANT to get into current comics that are just arriving on DCU. This month we will be playing catchup a little and reading two books a week instead of one. HOWEVER, I’ve chosen an A title and a B title so you can read whichever one you like more! The A title being the STRONG recommendation and the B being a less important one.

February/March Schedule

---------

This Week → Hawkman: Awakening

Week 2
A: Wonder Woman: The Just War
B: Nightwing: Night Terrors #1-6

Week 3
A Flash Force Quest #58-63
B: Justice League Odyssey: Ghost Sector #1-5

Week 4
A: Adventures of the Supersons Vol. 1!!
B: Deathstroke: Arkham

Week 5
A; Green Arrow Finale!
B: Superman: Phantom Earth #1-6

Week 6
A: Detective Comics #994-#1000

--------------

So let’s talk about Hawkman: Awakening

Official Description

Spinning out of the events of Dark Nights: Metal! An explorer of the ancient and unknown, Hawkman finds himself embroiled in a long-standing mision to discover the true purpose of his many reincarnations. Carter Hall will race around the globe trying to piece together an ancient prophecy, but will he be able to face down his own past lives lurking around every corner?
Writer: Robert Venditti
Artist: Brian Hitch
Cover: Stjephan Sejic

Our flair this week: image
:books: WHAT TO READ :books:

Hawkman (2018) #1-6

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Hawkman: Awakening?
  2. What was your favorite moment in the story?
  3. How did you feel about THAT reveal in the first issue.
  4. How was the Microverse stuff?
  5. How does this arc change your perspective of who Hawkman is.
  6. Should we keep reading the series?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

I would love to hear your general reactions to the story as well!

When: 2020-02-21T08:00:00Z2020-02-29T08:00:00Z

Primer: If you want one because you want to get more background context before you start, let me know!

Want to join the club for an exclusive ever-changing flair, notifications, AND early access to reading orders? Join the club by clicking this link: DC Universe

Want to chat on discord? Use this link to join over 200 fans! https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me on through messaging.

-----------------------

New to DCU Wiki

2 Likes

Glad to see this club back! :grin:

1 Like

I enjoyed this immensely. I remember hearing about how good this series was when it came out, but other than during Geoff John’s JSA I haven’t ever read Hawkman, so didn’t pick it up.

So yes… First time reading this.

Are we talking about the Gorilla God with wings… freaking awesome. Or is it some other thing.

I don’t think I ever knew Ray and Carter were good pals. I like how it was presented here and enjoyed the comradery. Is there microverse God planet a call back to another DC appearance? Am I the only who had vibes of Star Trek V?

I don’t think it changes my perspective on Hawkman too much. I know he has had a convoluted past, but mostly has had to do with reincarnation, and this seems to be an expansion of that.

Like I said… I enjoyed this series. It is an interesting take on Hawkman. Most of the time when I’ve read stories with him in them he is portrayed as a tank like character, a front line fighter, or bruiser. So a take on him where he is solving mysteries and expressing how he wants to avoid fighting is new, at least to me.

2 Likes

@Meisaj I’m really glad you enjoyed it. I think part of what Venditti does so well is make Hawkman (a character that is super convoluted) interesting and fun. The fact that there are Kyrptonian Hawkman’s is just interesting. The mystery element let’s us discover this character in a way that is accessible, but also leans into who Carter and Hawkman are as a whole.

1 Like

@Meisaj

Geoft Johns did a series on Hawkman that you might like very much

DC Universe

The Atom appears in the series

The Hawkman Atom team up goes back to the 1960s.

1 Like

Is this your first time reading Hawkman: Awakening?

Yep, and I flew through the pages, I was that much into it. :stuck_out_tongue:

What was your favorite moment in the story?

Bit of a hard one, but I think I’ll go with the chase between Kator Hol and Carter on Thanagar, and how they ended up connecting and helping each other. Second closest might be Ray pulling a Giant Man in the Microverse.

How did you feel about THAT reveal in the first issue.

At first I was a little apprehensive – several creators have tried to take away or mess with the retcon that Johns made that reasonably explained Hawkman’s convoluted history that I was worried about someone trying to make their mark on it yet again, but I think Venditti did a good job at keeping what works about it and expanding upon it.

How was the Microverse stuff?

The big planet fighting stuff was fun, but I think what was most enjoyable about those issues was Carter’s interactions and friendship with Ray.

How does this arc change your perspective of who Hawkman is.

I don’t know if it changed my perspective so much as expanded on it. From what I remember of the Johns series, and other stories with him, I mostly know him as “angry hairy guy who beats things with mace.” This Hawkman could throw down, don’t get it twisted, but he had some good moments of calm and non-bloodthirsty-ness.

1 Like

Hi Nathan where are we at with this club? Nice work on your Global all-encompassing Wiki on 5G by the way.

1 Like

@Don-El I posted the Nightwing reading. I forgot to send out a reminder though.

1 Like