[New to DCU] Groundwork: Week 8 Justice League: Drowned Earth (EVENT COMIC)

Hey Everyone Click here for my Weekly Note!

Hey everyone! Welcome to our humble abode!! Thanks to everyone who joined us last week and anyone joining us for the first time this week! This club is for those who WANT to get into current comics that are just arriving on DCU. This is the last week of our first unit The Groundwork which focused on reading the series which define all the current stuff. Groundwork ends this week with Drowned Earth! and next month will be the month of Smaller Characters!

The Groundwork

Week 1: Justice League: No Justice by Scott Snyder
Week 2: Justice League: The Totality by Scott Snyder
Week 3: Batman: The Wedding (and the optional tie-in)
Week 4: Detective Comics: On the Outside by Brian Hill.
Week 5: Flash War by Josh Williamson
Week CRISIS: Dark Nights Metal
Week 6: Flash: Reckoning of the Forces by Josh Williamson
Week 7: Batman: Cold Days by Tom King
Week 8: Justice League: Graveyard of Gods by Scott Snyder

January: Smaller Characters

Week 1: Catwoman: Copycats
Week 2: Green Arrow: Citizen’s Arrest
Week 3: Batgirl: Art of Crime
Week 4: Teen Titans: Full Throttle
Week 5: Hawkman: Awakening

February will focus on bigger characters again!

Remember: Every week, you get to vote on which stories to keep reading and which ones to drop.

So let’s talk about Aquman/Justice League Drowned Earth

Official Description

In this second Justice League collection, Hawkgirl takes wing against Legion of Doom leader Lex Luthor; John Stewart faces off with old foe Sinestro; the Flash must run down the Still Force-empowered Gorilla Grodd; and Wonder Woman tackles the tag team of Black Manta and Cheetah—underwater! Then, in “Drowned Earth,” the Justice League is scattered across the Seven Seas, pursued by the Ocean Lords and an army of alien mercenaries.

:books: WHAT TO READ :books:
There’s a lot of list here. I strongly recommend that you read the prelude and then the Drowned Earth main story. Then read Justice League #13. I posted the event with Tie-ins. Let me know if you want more time to read this so I can provide it.

Drowned Earth: Prelude

Justice League (2018) #8-10

Drowned Earth Main Story

Justice League/Aquaman: Drowned Earth Special #1
Justice League #11-12
Aquaman/Justice League: Drowned Earth Special #1

Reading Order with Tie-ins

Justice League (2018) #10
Aquaman (2016-) #41
Titans(2016-) #28
Justice League / Aquaman: Drowned Earth #1
Justice League #11
Aquaman #42
Justice League #12
Aquaman / Justice League: Drowned Earth #1

Drowned Earth Epilogue

Justice League (2018-) #13
Aquaman (2016-) #43 (We will read this later)

:trident: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS :trident:

1. Is this your first time reading Justice League/Aquaman : Drowned Earth
  2. What was the best moment in the story?
  3. How do you feel about the Blood reef and Graveyard of Gods?
  4. How did you feel about the Batman who Laughs vs. Luthor Dynamic in Justice League #8
  5. Which tie in was the strongest?
  6. How did the new forces compare to the first 2.
    Was this a good event?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

I would love to hear your general reactions to the story as well!

When: 2019-12-27T08:00:00Z → 2020-01-01T08:00:00Z

This weeks flair is

Primer TBD

Want to join the club for an exclusive ever-changing flair, notifications, AND early access to reading orders? Join the club by clicking this link: DC Universe

Want to chat on discord? Use this link to join over 200 fans! https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me on through messaging.
-----------------------
New to DCU Wiki

1 Like

I haven’t read this one yet and I actually have it in trade, so I’m definitely glad to have this as an excuse to get through it. :slight_smile:

@Nathan.Payson , is the voting button for the last discussion question?

Just reading the first couple of issues so far, and while we haven’t gotten a lot of Luthor and The Batman Who Laughs, I do enjoy Joker’s take on Luthor having BWL “trapped” there. It’s weird when The Joker is almost the most rational person in the room.

@Don-El Nope! This time the poll is did you like the event!

Is this your first time reading Justice League/Aquaman : Drowned Earth

Yes it was. I fell behind on JL around this time and was looking forward to catching up this series on here.

What was the best moment in the story?

When Manta says that Aquaman’s ability to talk to fish can’t help him now, and he says something like, “Well, it’s a good thing EVERYONE is a fish now, isn’t it?”

How do you feel about the Blood reef and Graveyard of Gods?

They’re interesting ideas, especially the idea of a place where gods go when they die, but sadly I think with the fast pace of the story I don’t think I really got a good idea of what they are.

Already kind of answered #4.

Which tie in was the strongest?

I think the first Aquaman issue, where Mera is trying to save Atlantis was the strongest one. I also liked Titans, which did a good job not only tying into Drowned Earth, but other stories like Nightwing being shot and Heroes in Crisis.

Man, these events are always rough on Titans, aren’t they?

How did the new forces compare to the first 2?

They’re…okay. They work for the story being told, but they feel far more basic magical mcguffen magical forces than the Ultraviolet Spectrum and the Still Force, which are probably just as unexplained.

Yep, that’s exactly my thought.

The beginning of Smaller Characters Week 1 will start later today!

1 Like

I’ve read part of it, but this is my first time reading through the whole enchilada.

I liked how Aquaman-centric it was, and the moment Poseidon rammed the trident through him was nice and surprising, but I really enjoyed Lex/Batman who sighs and Lex/Joker.

The Graveyard was interesting. That could be used again in future stories of they have a hankering.

That was so entertaining. The Batman who Laughs is more evil and a bigger genius than Luthor can imagine. Joker gets it.

I didn’t read 'em this time…I’m too lazy to search.

They’re just there. Nothing to call home about, really.