[New to DCU] DCU Book Club Week 14

Hey everyone, welcome to another week of the New to DCU Book Club where we cover the latest comics out this week. As always, remember if you read even ONE issue, you can join the discussion!

This week we are reading

*Flash #52 <-- The beginning of the Strength Force Arc!
Superman #2<-- Earth is sinking into the Phantom Zone!
*Suicide Squad #45 <-- Atlantis has risen, and the federal government isn’t pleased.
Detective Comics #986 <–Batman and Karma face off once more
*Supergirl #21 <-- Supergirl begins her quest for answers and leaves with Rogal Zar’s Axe.

Questions:
Flash #52

1. Is Trickster an interesting?
  2. What do you think of Commander Cold?
  3. What do you think is going on with Warden Wolfe?

Superman #2

1. Is Rogal Zar any more interesting?
  2. What did you think of those guest appearences?
  3. Rate this issue out of 5

Suicide Squad #45

1. Who’s dynamic is most interesting?
  2. Is Waller happy with her orders?
  3. What do you think of Lord Satanis and Master Jailer?

Supergirl #21

1. Is Supergirl right that she’s the only person who understands?
  2. Does the Rogal Zar threat become more interesting with Kara’s thoughts?
  3. What do you think of the art?

Detective Comics #986

1. What do you think of the last page reveal?
  2. Is Bruce right to tell of Barbara?
  3. Do Batman’s Allies make him stronger or weaker?

2 Likes

Wow signing up for four of these! I see Superman Supergirl Detective Comics and Flash in my future! I guess you could say I’m seeing red…

1 Like

Reviewing list:
Pack for Chicago trip
Dishes, Laundry
Prep 3 short comic boxes
READ SUPERGIRL #21!

1 Like

Supergirl #21
Marc Andreyko takes over the series with this issue and ties everything in with Bendis’ Superman / Action series. It’s a slow burn for sure as he lays down the rationale / fictional world logic for why Supergirl is rocketing off on clues. Marc is also using this issue to explain why Kara’s emotions and actions concerning
Rogal Zaar’s claim of destroying Krypton are more radical and enflamed than Superman’s.

I’ve read one or two of these the past year. The inclusion of cute Krypto the Super Dog on this otherwise cold hearted tale of vengeance makes it all much more intriguing to read.

Questions answered:’

1. Zaar any more interesting? I think his backstory and final truth will be thought-provoking with this 'galactic Illuminati" touch now.
  2. Guest appearances: GL worked here with the ring inquiry.
  3. I’ll give the issue a good 4 out of 5. I know from “peeking” that some of the issues of Andreyko’s run are going to be better than others, but nice start. BTW, I greatly appreciate the outfit Supergirl is wearing. It adds to the seriousness of the series. You don’t dress as an ice skating contestant while carrying a 9 foot axe.

1 Like

@don wrong set of questions…

Supergirl #21

1. Is Supergirl right that she’s the only person who understands?
  2. Does the Rogal Zar threat become more interesting with Kara’s thoughts?
  3. What do you think of the art?

But the questions do work and I do think the Green Lantern Guest appearence adds to the mystery is a cool way.

2 Likes

Oppsie. Must be I was distracted packing for Chicago…lol

2 Likes

hahaha!!!

1 Like

Detective Comics #986

1. What do you think of the last page reveal?

Nothing really. Doesn’t Katana usually work with Batman? Doesn’t seem too out of the ordinary.

1. Is Bruce right to tell of Barbara?

No. It was really annoying that Bruce wanted Barbara to repeat herself after the initial, “Clear.” I don’t like when he’s all high and mighty. He messes up constantly. From what I gather, Karma is his fault? So, why is he treating Barbara this harshly. This is why the people closest to him end up leaving him.

1. Do Batman’s Allies make him stronger or weaker?

It depends on the writer. Whenever they write Batman as pushing his allies away, he focuses too much on that and leaves himself vulnerable. Without his allies he would have died/failed here. He wouldn’t have been able to save the kids alone.

This was the first issue of this comic I’ve read because I saw Barbara in the questions for the reading. It was okay. The art is nice. Maybe it’s because I’m reading older comics recently, but it feels like this issue was very thin. Barely anything happened and the action wasn’t that great. The art is nice. Orphan’s costume is awesome. I love the black/yellow color scheme. It reminds me of some of Black Canary’s outfits. Lightning being from Metropolis and having to adjust to Gotham is a neat idea.

2 Likes

Flash #52

1. Is Trickster interesting? I admit I’m not sure which Trickster I’m dealing with here. I’ve been following Flash a L O N G time, and the last Trickster I recall was a sociopathic violent unrepentant kid that seemed utterly devoid of any redeeming quality or endearing character trait. He was just bad to the bone.

This one they seemed to indicate is more of an amusing fearful fellow that seems overwhelmed by the changes the Strength force do to him in the end. Not sure what I think of him yet, but Flash seems at least a bit sympathetic to his plight.

1. I’m liking Commander Cold from the future. He’s a professional, Flash should step aside or team up with him.

2. I have no clue what is going on with the evil Warden. Maybe an illegal fight club?

Superman #2

Wow that was a fast read. I did find Bendis’ meditation on Superman seeing billions of acts of kindness a day inspiring. Yes, for some reason, mankind continues for now and we even stay somewhat healthy as a global society even though we have the means to obliterate ourselves and all of nature 20x over.

1. Is Rogal Zar any more interesting? Not yet. He still comes off as a deranged obsessed force of nature.

2. Guest appearances: This Flash and the one we are seeing in The Flash comic of the same month are not the same guy. This one was silly and more out of the Justice League International timeframe.

3. Rate: 3.5 . Not much happened.

I like the idea of an ilegal fight club

1 Like

That’s an interesting point

1 Like

Detective Comics #986

1. last page reveal: very happy, I find Katana an interesting mix of highly-trained and efficient warrior along with that oddly mystical sword / husband’s spirit thing going on. Is she ok or…insane? We’ll see someday.

2. Bruce telling off Barbara: they are an army, chain of command, it’s not like Teen Titans, they are in the Bat Battalion. Yeah, he needed to wake Barbara up.

3. Batman’s allies make him stronger. He can’t be everywhere at once. Plus, they have different skill sets from him.

I liked the portrayal of Orphan (Batgirl of early 2000’s)!

I’ve always disliked the chain of command concept.

1 Like