[New to DCU] Comics Coming 10/8/19

Hey everyone!! It’s that time again. New comics, newly digitized comics, and of course New Book Clubs!!!

The format as always is

1. New to DCU

2. Newly Digitized

3. The Big Stuff this week

4. Starting Points

5. Starting Volumes

6. Ending Volumes

7. Nathan Recommends

8. Announcements

9. New to DCU
    Phase 1
    Green Lanterns #56
    Unexpected #5

Phase 2
Adventures of the Supersons #3
Batman #56
Curse of Brimstone #7
Deathstroke #36
Green Arrow #45
Harley Quinn #51
Justice League #9
Nightwing #50
Wonder Woman and Justice League Dark Witching Hour #1

Not Coming
Dreaming #2
United States vs. Murder Inc. #2

Newly Digitized
Deadman #4
Detective Comics #328
Doom Patrol (2001) #2
Hourman #25
House of Mystery #182
House of Secrets #113
Superman (1939) #6
Superman’s Girlfriend Lois Lane #16
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #3
The Joker #10

1. The Big Stuff This Week
    Nightwing #50 Benjamin Percy’s finale is also the beginning of a new (and controversial) direction following the devastating end in Batman #55.

Wonder Woman and Justice League Dark: Witching Hour #1 begins a new direction for Wonder Woman focused more on the magic side of Wonder Woman we’ve never seen!

1. Starting Points
    Nightwing #50 is a new direction where Nightwing #1-49 don’t play much importance. The next 12 issues even less. As such it’s a great jump on point.
    Deathstroke #36 is the start of the second solo focused graphic novel by Cristopher Priest. Deathstroke is in arkham after fighting Batman. What’s real? What’s not? Find out!

2. Starting Volumes
    The Curse of the Brimstone: Ashes //Cancelled
    The Curse of the Brimstone #7
    The Curse of the Brimstone #8-13
    Curse of the Brimstone Annual #1

Deathstroke: Arkham
Deathstroke #36
Deathstroke #37-40

Nightwing: Night Terrors
Nightwing #50
Nightwing #51-56

EVENT: WITCHING HOUR
Wonder Woman/Justice League Dark: Witching Hour #1
Wonder Woman #56
Justice League Dark #4
Wonder Woman #57
Justice League Dark/Wonder Woman: Witching Hour #1

1. Ending Volumes
    None

2. Nathan Recommends
    Adventures of the Supersons #3
    Batman #56
    Justice League #9
    Nightwing #50
    Wonder Woman/Justice League Dark: Witching Hour #1

3. Announcements

THE DCU COMMUNITY IS GOING DARK REALLY REALLY REALLY SOON. PLEASE JOIN THE DCU BOOK CLUB DISCORD TO PARTICIPATE IN ALL THE VARIOUS CLUBS AND WATCHALONGS STARTING ON TUESDAY.

Click here: https://discord.gg/tJYJvdr

-Nathan.Payson

Your Friendly Neighborhood Reporter

2 Likes

Thanks for the list, Nathan. Did you mean to put The Unexpected as part of Phase 1?

On this particular digital haul, Justice League 9 is probably about all I’m going to read of the new, which is fine because I’m behind on the new stuff from the past 2 weeks digitized.

As usual looking forward to the 60s Detective as well as the 50s / 60s Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen.

YES!!! 'Tec 328 by Bill Finger! A key issue in the development of Alfred! The rise of a new resident in Wayne Manor! So exciting!

2 Likes

Yes @ralphsix
I put vol. 1 titles of New Age there. And Unexpected is part of that. A some point I want to relook at how I look at New Age of Heroes.

Basically, we’ll be looking at New Age of Heroes in a digital museum except for The Terrific s… I really had high hopes in particular for Vandal Savage and the Immortals!

I’m glad Superman #6 was added. The preliminary list from last Thursday didn’t have it there! I’m loving these old adventures.

1 Like

That Joker issue is pretty interesting.

“The Daily Planet promotional page of The Joker #9 (Sept.–Oct. 1976) mentions that Martin Pasko was writing a Joker vs. the Justice League of America story titled ‘99 and 99/100 Percent Dead!’ to appear in The Joker #10, which was never published. In the end notes of The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told (1989) it is noted that The Joker editor Julius Schwartz had no recollection of this story ever being completed; however, Pasko found xeroxed pages of the story which he sold on eBay in 2011. A cover for issue #10 was drawn by Ernie Chan, but it was not finished at the time. The Joker #10 was published for the first time on August 14, 2019 in DC’s The Joker: The Bronze Age Omnibus (which also contains The Joker #1-9 as well as other published Joker stories from the 1970s), and as a stand alone issue on October 3, 2019.”

Via Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joker_(comic_book)

So technically this is the soonest that a single issue has been published to getting on the service. :smiley:

2 Likes