[New to DCU] Book Club Week 5: Flash: Flash War (Flash (2016) #46-51)

Hey Everyone Click here for my Weekly Note!

Hey everyone! Welcome to our humble abode!! Thanks to everyone who joined us last week and anyone joining us for the first time this week! This club is for those who WANT to get into current comics that are just arriving on DCU. The first 9 weeks will be called The Groundwork. The Groundwork will focus on reading the series which define all the current stuff. Groundwork is changing with some frequency, so make sure to click the drop-down to see what’s coming!

The Groundwork

Week 1: Justice League: No Justice by Scott Snyder
Week 2: Justice League: The Totality by Scott Snyder
Week 3: Batman: The Wedding (and the optional tie-in)
Week 4: Detective Comics: On the Outside by Brian Hill.
Week 5: Flash War by Josh Williamson
Week CRISIS: Dark Nights Metal
Week 6: Flash: Reckoning of the Forces by Josh Williamson
Week 7: Batman: Cold Days by Tom King
Week 8: Justice League: Graveyard of Gods by Scott Snyder

Every week, you get to vote on which stories to keep reading and which ones to drop.

**So let’s talk about Flash War

Official Description

One of the biggest Flash adventures starts here, with a special story starring the classic Wally West, who’s conflicted over whether to let Iris West know he is alive–and he’ll need the help of the Flash to figure out what to do! But when Magenta, Wally’s old love, needs his help, the Flash returns home to Keystone City, where he is confronted with violent memories of an unknown world. It’s a major turning point for the Flash family!

This is the best starting point of this Flash Saga outside of the #1 issue. The big points of continuity are focused on Wally’s big arc in Rebirth of his return and feeling lost and alone. This is the culmination of that as we move into sort of the second part of his arc.
:books: WHAT TO READ :books:
Flash #46-51 (Also consider Flash Annual #1)

:eight_spoked_asterisk: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading The Flash: Flash War?
  2. What was the stand out moment in the main story to you?
  3. Who is better Wally or Barry?
  4. If you’ve read Heroes in Crisis, does Wally’s tragedy make sense.
  5. Should this club continue with the next arc. this book when it comes out?
  • Yes!
  • No…

0 voters

I would love to hear your general reactions to the story as well!

When: 2019-11-27T08:00:00Z2019-12-04T08:00:00Z
This weeks flair is TBA!
Primer On Barry and Wally’s arc coming in
Want to join the club for an exclusive ever-changing flair, notifications, AND early access to reading orders? Join the club by clicking this link: DC Universe

Want to chat on discord? Use this link to join over 200 fans! https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me on through messaging.
-----------------------
New to DCU Wiki

I still have to digest what i read, of which was my first time. I also read the annual, but after the arc.

I get the impression the Still Force is just some snazzy DC way of dressing up entropy. Sage, Strength, Still …and UltraViolet? Do they parallel the No Justice teams?

And i have not read Heroes in Crisis.

Speed, Sage, Strength, and Still are the 4 flash forces

I’ve never thought about that question though about the parallels between the two. Do you think it’s worth exploring @AntLeon?

the sage force :: team wisdom
the still force :: team entropy

that leaves wonder and mystery

I should probably read JL Totality to get a better understanding of the still force.

Still is more the opposite of Entropy. Yeah The still force is really part of JL: Totality.

i think i am relying on the dictionary or physics definition of entropy.

No, but I don’t recall reading the lead-in issue. This is the first time I’ve read it since knowing what happens in Heroes in Crisis.

Really, just the pain that Wally must be going through. Can you imagine nobody remembering you completely? And then you find out your children could be in danger and there’s nothing you can do. That’s awful.

I’m not sure if you’re asking about in this story or overall. I’m this story, Barry is the more stable force and Wally is really the overall danger to the world. But, overall, I’m more aware of Barry post-Rebirth and compared to when Wally was Flash, Wally was a lot better at it. And more fun to read about.

I haven’t read the whole thing yet, but I’m very aware of what happens and the aftermath. I know there’s a lot of controversy over it, however seeing how out of control and in pain the character is in here, it does make a sort of sense how he got to that. But, like I said, I haven’t actually read that for myself yet, I may change my mind when (if?) we get to that.

I’m always going to vote yes! Let’s read everything as arcs are completed!

The stand out moment(s) for me were:

1. Wally and Barry releasing so much speed force that the other heroes including Argus started to notice.
  2. The cost of defeating Zolomon was the speedster access to time travel and hypertime.

It’s hard to decide who is better.

@AntLeon I think the biggest cost is YET to come… (See you in Flash: Reckoning of the Forces!)