[New to DCU] Book Club Week 4: Detective Comics: On the Outside (Detective Comics #983-987)

Hey Everyone Click here for my Weekly Note!

Hey everyone! Welcome to our humble abode!! Thanks to everyone who joined us last week and anyone joining us for the first time this week! This club is for those who WANT to get into current comics that are just arriving on DCU. The first 8 weeks will be called The Groundwork. The Groundwork will focus on reading the series which define all the current stuff. Groundwork is changing with some frequency, so make sure to click the drop-down to see what’s coming!

The Groundwork

Week 1: Justice League: No Justice by Scott Snyder
Week 2: Justice League: The Totality by Scott Snyder
Week 3: Batman: The Wedding (and the optional tie-in)
Week 4: Detective Comics: On the Outside by Brian Hill.
Week 5: Flash War by Josh Williamson
Week CRISIS: Dark Nights Metal
Week 6: Flash: Reckoning of the Forces by Josh Williamson
Week 7: Batman: Cold Days by Tom King
Week 8: Justice League: Graveyard of Gods by Scott Snyder

Every week, you get to vote on which stories to keep reading and which ones to drop.

**So let’s talk about Detective Comics: On the Outside

Official Description

In the aftermath of the last stand of the Gotham Knights, Batman, Batwoman, Red Robin, Orphan, Azrael, Batwing and company took down a monster they helped create. How will they deal with the physical and psychological ramifications of this epic battle? Who can Batman trust to guide them? They need a teacher…and Black Lightning fits the bill!

:books: WHAT TO READ :books:
Detective Comics (2016) #983-988

:eight_spoked_asterisk: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Detective Comics: On the outside
  2. What was the stand out moment in the main story to you?
  3. Is Karma compelling?
  4. Which outsider fits the best?
  5. Finally, did this feel like a Justice League: No Justice Spin-off or not?
  6. Should this club read Tomasi’s new run on this book when it comes out?
  • Are you kidding? Tomasi is the best! YES!!!
  • Who is Tomasi?
  • No
0 voters
  1. Are you currently reading Batman and the Outsiders by Brian Hill
  • Yes It’s WONDERFUL
  • Yes It’s fine.
  • Yes It’s bad.
  • No.
0 voters

I would love to hear your general reactions to the story!

When: 2019-11-21T08:00:00Z2019-11-27T08:00:00Z

This weeks flair features black lightning with the various outsiders on the outside! (“Was the parallel intentional?” “Sure why not?”

P.S. Primer is coming later Thursday Night.

Want to join the club for an exclusive ever-changing flair, notifications, AND early access to reading orders? Join the club by clicking this link: https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/g/NewtoDCU

Want to chat on discord? Use this link to join over 200 fans! Fans of DC Universe

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me on through messaging.
-----------------------
New to DCU Wiki

No, but it was my first time reading them back to back like this. I think reading the whole story all at once like this worked a lot better than reading it month to month did.I

Black Lighting shown through in this series, but my favorite line came from Katana when she told Batman that, if Karma could read his mind, to just fill it with stuff to cause fear.

That Katana sure is a tough cookie.

I think Karma served his purpose for the story, but it’s not like he’s destined to become one of Batman’s greatest foes or anything. That lady in Markovia sure seems interesting, though.

Fits what best? The character on Black Lightning team that I enjoyed the most was Orphan. I like Cassandra peroid, though.

There was that little shout out to Amanda Waller and Brainiac, but that was really just an Easter egg to the main story, and you didn’t need to read No Justice to fill in any blanks, so, no, not in my opinion.

@ralphsix I like what you said about Karma. He’s designed to allow Hill to question the Batman’s families role in batman’s life. Also I own the trade and read it that way.

1 Like