Hello everyone! Welcome to Week 3 of the New to DCU Book Club, where we will be reading and discussing comics currently coming the DC Universe Infinite.
What is this club?
We will be discussing stories big and small. Both Batman and Adam Strange, while making sure that you have ALL the context that you need to enjoy the story. You are missing as few details as possible, and that you will be able to understand everything. We will also be following a reading order I wrote to read the stuff you will need to enjoy Future State and Infinite Frontier. You can see the reading order HERE . As the weeks progress, we will read books including
Death Metal (and it’s tie-ins)
Joker War (and it’s tie-ins)
Far Sector (a phenomenal Green Lantern Story)
Justice League Dark
Rorschach by James Tynion and more.
There are series I’m missing. Some missing stories are great stories, while others are mediocre. Some notable titles are missing like Superman and Aquaman and this is because I’ve decided either 1) The run isn’t worth your time (like Superman) or 2) That the run is too far in to be accessible for jumping right in(Like Superman and Aquaman).
This week we are reading 2 different stories. The first book is my favorite book focused on African American influences and issues this year. It is unafraid to chart new territory and take risks, and it’s something really special. Far Sector is an award winning 12 issues-series about a new green lantern. This is a perfect Black History Month Read, and there are few books that could be more perfect to start the year. You do not need to understand ANYTHING really to dive it and it is super interesting all the same. It takes the sci-fi premise in really interesting directions while dealing with a very pertinent look at racial issues. The other book is the start of a new Wonder Woman arc by the Eisner Award-winning Mariko Tamaki. The run is only one arc (which is really sad) but I liked this arc a lot and I think you will enjoy it
Far Sector #1-6:
The Story so far:
There is literally nothing except 1 simple thing.
A Green Lantern is a galactic police force that uses a green ring to create constructs of energy that look however the mind wants them to look. That’s it! This is a new character dealing with an entirely new planet.
Wonder Woman #759: The Story so far:
Nothing really except:
Maxwell Lord: A psychic who makes you see things and controls your mind.
So overall the context is minimal.
Far Sector #1-6:
- What are your thoughts on the City Enduring (The location of the book)? The world building? The stuff with emotions and switchoff? The look?
- Who is at fault for the current situation? Is it the people in power? Is it the people trying to upset the system?
- What do you think of this new type of ring?
- How do you feel about Jo?
- Rate the first 6 issues out of 10.
- What is your favorite moment is the first 6 issues.
Wonder Woman #759:
- What do you think of Emma, this new original character?
- What do you think of the first issue? Is this a story you want to continue, or are you a little weary about it.
NOTE FOR EVERYONE!
- If you see someone asking "Where do I start reading comics? Please direct them to this club. I’m putting a TON of work into waking this a positive and helpful guided experience.
Please only read what you want to read. Also to encourage discussion, please format all comments like my comment below so that people can engage discussing the weekly books they read and ignore the books they haven’t read yet.