New to DCU Book Club Week 1: Batman: Their Dark Designs (Tynion's Batman)

I’ve read a few more issues, through 89 now. I am liking Tynion as a writer for Batman. It’s got the crime angle, the mystery angle, and lots of new Bat gadgets like the Bat swarm I think it was, bat shaped drones that look like dozens and dozens of bats that have been disturbed in a cave as they approach the bad guys (“show off” Deathstroke mutters as they swarm over him).

Batman should totallly get counselling on his obsession with criminal ladies, it’s just not healthy.

…and nice to see one of the Gothamites voicing my earlier concern:

1 Like

This is a great thing you are doing, Nathan

I have been buying DC comics every week, to support DC. But I haven’t read many for months.

This might be what gets me reading more current stuff again.

1 Like

I think you should have a link to this in general discussion.

It took me a half an hour to find this topic and I had found it earlier.

Even when I thought to look in clubs, there were so many topics above yours.

1 Like

I personally use bookmarks to remind myself on weekends to read these.

Maybe it can be found by search with new-to-dcu if that is the official tag @Nathan.Payson has been assigned for this club @Pretty.Poison.Bombshell

3 Likes

When you say a link? Do you want me to post this there? Just trying to figure out what you mean, but yeah, your right, it does get buried.

1 Like

What do you mean by this? I’m very confused…

1 Like

I just meant
This is a very
Important club

Events and clubs
Doesn’t get much traffic

Your audience
Is new fans
They won’t be looking here

They hang out in
Discussions
So advertise
Your club there

2 Likes

True.

2 Likes

This is the easiest way to find it. If you are part of the club you will also recieve messages when new posts come out along with the lists for past weeks. Remember! You can take your time. If it takes 4 weeks to finish week 1. That’s fine. The stories will be there for you when you are ready and I will still be there to answer questions and give feedback.

2 Likes

Oh just kidding about the problems when you fall in love with someone who’s been a criminal for decades.

1 Like

Oh got it!

2 Likes

I finally finished week one last week and I am currently on week two. Thanks for putting all this together. With the exception of the Batman marriage issue, this was my first time reading Batman. I’ve mostly read Superman and Action Comics. I started reading comics with Rebirth.

That being said, Batman is a bit darker than I’m used too. I was very intrigued by the read though and even stayed up too late reading to the end.

I don’t think I have enough background on Batman from a comics perspective to answer a lot of the questions. The new villains are interesting. Mr. Teeth’s look is creepy. They all pretty much bother me, so I guess they’re doing their job. I want to see what’s going to happen with Punchline and Harley. I’m on Team Harley.

I do miss the hope, truth, and justice of Superman. I’ve been reading mostly this list lately. I might need to alternate between the two.

2 Likes

I created a
Batman for New Readers
It might help
You understand the character

Stories are from 1940 to 2011. They are not in date order, each lay another layer onto the character

2 Likes

Welcome to the club!!! I’m so glad you decided to join!!

That’s comics for you! This series is really enjoyable and moves at a great pace! Ironically, this is one of the least dark takes on Batman I feel like I’ve see in a while, but that probably makes it more acessible.

This is one of the most interesting shifts in this new run on Batman I’ve seen. Harley Quinn is a much more important character to the stories moving forward, which I really appreciate.

I hate to disappoint you, but unfortunately, we won’t be reading much Superman until we get to the Future State books because I really dislike the current run and don’t recommend it to new readers. I might have us read the digital first, but I’m up in the air right now on that.

2 Likes