[New to DCU] Book Club: Smaller Characters: Week One: (Catwoman: Copycats) - Catwoman (2018)#1-6

This is what we call in the comic book world a “tour de force.” What a great showing on the part of the artist / writer on her first full series work for DC (she did do a couple of issues of Batman the year before as artist only).

The costume design is perfect, sensible, mysterious too and somewhat loose fitting, which makes sense leaving room for special tools etc.

1. First time reading
  2. The scene in the middle of the series where Catwoman’s horde of cats all watch her leaving “in unison” focused on “Mommy.”
  1. Bluntly, I wasn’t convinced I would enjoy either the art or writing very much, but after diving in I became captivated by the art style which very much reminds of the Don Heck “fashion art” of the '60 and '70s, with a touch of Paul Pope manga inking sensibilities mixed in (note final scene on rooftop with telephone / electric lines emphasized, unlike the usual DC artwork, a very “Asian” feel).
    The dialogue went fairly well. The weakest part for me was the plotting, the villain of the narrative was a tad predictable.
    But still, a great story / art combo overall.
    4.State of mind:well, that part made huge sense, she was the bride that walked, and it haunted her, made her less than 100% to face the evil family.
  1. Creel is memorable for sure. I’m still a bit confused about her origin, I guess she was pure evil from the get go. I did love the metaphor of her true self being a horror so different from what the world outside perceived her as.
1 Like

Catwoman number 6 final scene

Paul Pope writer / artist Batman Year 100 Issue 4

Example of Don Heck fashion magazine artwork style of the 1970s.

2 Likes

First time reading the whole arc. I quite, quite enjoyed it.

I loved all the fight scenes, the art was great, but the battle against the doped up octogenarians was superb. As I would imagine any fight against doped up octogenarians would be.

I agree there could have been more story. It seemed designed to showcase the art, but I’m okay with that. I would so the art was excellent and the story was okay.

Heartbroken and distracted. I think I’m the end she may have been appreciated having something to do other than stress about her life and insomnia.

I liked her here, especially her look, but I’d be worried that any future appearances could become generic now that she has no political power.

I voted a solid yes.

1 Like