[New to DCU] Book Club REBOOT! (The Groundwork) Week 1: Justice League: No Justice #1-4

I just reread this recently, but not recent enough to answer this week’s questions specifically. I will say I enjoyed this a lot more in a binge read than I did when it first came out. Beast Boy really stood out for me in this. And Amanda Waller really doesn’t know what she’s doing sometimes, does she? She seemed more with it back before the new 52.

Oops.just woke up. Writing it now! Sorry! Most primers go up on Tuesday

No worries. I am more curious to see the final product.

Just to bump this (so to speak), this was the first time i read No Justice.

One stand out moment was Amanda Waller killing Brainiac. I would have liked to have seen how Brainiac was going to save the Universe. I’m not saying he had an ulterior motive, but for all we know that motive was “if i don’t save the universe, there will be nothing for me to collect” (or whatever his deal is nowadays).

As to the ending. as it follows the events of Dark Knights: Metal, I am not surprised the heroes broke the universe. Again.

I will have to think about which is my favorite team, mostly because I was enjoying a lot of moments within each team.

1 Like

@AntLeon I’ve always wondered what Brainiac’s Plan actually was and if he could have succeeded!

I suspect he would have succeeded, but the question is what was the ulterior motive, assuming it wasn’t some typical double cross (like Grodd or Lex).

Here’s the PRIMER GUIDE!!!

She sure doesn’t and yet she will go out of her to do what she thinks is right. Building Task Force XI? Boy that’s must take some effort to collect.

1 Like

I like to think that he would have beaten the titans and then immediately used those suits to collect the heroes

“Is this your first time reading Justice League: No Justice (2018)?”

Nope, I read it as it came out, and then recently to get into the regular Justice League book.

“What was the stand out moment in the story to you?”

I think I would go with the confrontation between Amanda Waller and Green Arrow.

“Which team is your favorite? Entropy, Wisdom, Wonder, or Mystery”

To be quite honest, there was a couple of good moments with characters in the story, but not enough to make me want a specific team story with them. Like, Starfire butting heads with Sinestro was fun, as was Lobo kind of being the crazy uncle to Beast Boy.

“What did you think of the ending?”

Well, with Scott Snyder’s writing, what a lot of people say is that he’s great at starts and rising action, but stumbles at the ending. I don’t think that’s the case all the time, but I think it kind of applies here. Like, it kind of feels random and out of nowhere.

Overall, it feels less like a complete story and more of a means to move things around to get ready for specific books, like JLD and JLO. It gets the job done, but it’s not really a story I’ll go back to.

As an aside, this is exactly how I feel about Geoff Johns.

Hi @Nathan.Payson

I bought this in trade a while ago and hadn’t read it yet. I was thrilled you picked this so I could finally pick it up off my shelf and read it.

1. Is this your first time reading Justice League: No Justice (2018)?
    Yes

2. What was the stand out moment in the story to you?
    The moment where Green Arrow blocked the Wall’s gun shot with an arrow was one of my favorite moments in the story. It was one simple panel, but it stood out to me. Go Green Arrow!

3. Which team is your favorite? Entropy, Wisdom, Wonder, or Mystery

Honorable mention: Team Arrow, which was a team of one. He saved the earth from getting nuked.

Team Entropy. Because they were a hot mess, and then there was precious beast boy who seemed out of place in the team.

Until Lobo brought the beast out of him. I loved their interactions.

1. What did you think of the ending?
    The ending felt like the start of a series of new stories. I thought it was a good setup for that. There is so much for new stories to pursue after this one. Such as all the captured planets that are now neighbors after they were released. As for the central conflict, I felt like it resolved pretty quickly. The lanterns showed up at the exact right moment and the brothers consumed the brother and were defeated.

I like Martian Manhunter being the chairman; he was an MVP on Colu.

I wonder if the box Martian Manhunter gave to Green Arrow is the same stop-the-justice-league box Batman had in the New 52. I’m glad Green Arrow has the box.

Batman wanting to have covert teams reminded me Young Justice Outsiders, so I’m curious how that will turn out the stories that follow this one.

Thanks for the pick! I’m glad to have finally read this, as my guess is it’s a good read to understand the rest of the stories to come in this era.

Hello all,
I must say you started this book club off with a really good story. I am coming in blind. I have not kept up with any of the new stuff. I’ve been concentrating on the 80’s. So this is the first time I am reading Justice League: No Justice.

The stand out moment for me was when Braniac’s head exploded. And what timing. Right before he is going to reveal his plan. Nice.

My favorite team was Entropy. The moment where Lobos convinces Garth to let loose was great.

The ending definitely opened a lot of doors for story possibilities. I’m all for it.

This story was great fun. Looking forward to the next.

1 Like

There’s a lot of great moments to this story!! I forgot about that one. If you like the Green Arrow Storyline there is a one issue tie in with Green Arrow Annual #2 which recaps Oliver Queen trying to figure out where everyone went and then save the world. (Looks at the box a little bit more as well)

Justice League, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Titans #25- , and Teen Titans #20- are the main spin-offs. (Titans and Teen Titans kick of with Specials though). The Batman and the outsiders stuff continue with Detective Comics #983. Next week is Justice League: Totality (#1-7) The first of the spin-offs.

1 Like

@Wilks Glad to hear you had fun!! Just a reminder, if you are interested in joining future weeks, consider clicking the Join Here link to join the official club and get our Ever Changing Flair! (I actually can’t wear it because of technical problems but you can!)

Cool! Thanks for the info :star:

1 Like

Anytime!

1 Like
  1. Is this your first time reading Justice League: No Justice (2018)?
    No it wasn’t, but I was glad to reread it. I read it pretty recently though.
  2. What was the stand out moment in the story to you?
    The stand out moment for me was Mega Starro trying to control the omega titan. I know he probably wasn’t trying to sacrifice himself but I’d like to think he knew the risk. Let’s just hope they took a piece of him home. Also this was just brutal.
  3. Which team is your favorite? Entropy, Wisdom, Wonder, or Mystery
    Best interactions: Entropy hands down
    Favorite team: Wonder. I just enjoyed how they handled the nursery situation and Starro calling J’onn Marty.
  4. What did you think of the ending?
    After reading Dark Knights: Metal, the “Earthers” are just digging everyone into a bigger hole. I’m really curious to see how the cosmos handles the death of an omega titan AND hundreds of planets that have been gone for a long time.

Also honorable mention to Harley Quinn For keeping up with team Wisdom. I know she is a doctor and all but let’s be real the joker has her all messed up

1 Like

I really loved Harley in this too! She was hilarious.

Harley, for me, is a character who always works better when riffing off other characters, and this was a demonstration of that. Like, yeah, she’s nuts but she also knows exactly what’s going on and what you need to hear in that exact moment.

1 Like