New To DC

Don’t start with the Crises or DKR or Watchmen. They’re all awesome, don’t get me wrong, but they’ll be a lot better if you read them after a lot of other stuff. Good “beginner” books: Gotham Central, Superman: Secret Identity, Man of Steel, Batman: Year One, and The Authority (well, it’s published by DC now but it’s not really a DC book, but still good). Good books for later: Mister Miracle (Tom King), the Crises, DKR, Watchmen, The New Frontier, and JLA (Grant Morrison).

2 Likes

Don’t start with the Crises or DKR or Watchmen. They’re all awesome, don’t get me wrong, but they’ll be a lot better if you read them after a lot of other stuff. Good “beginner” books: Gotham Central, Superman: Secret Identity, Man of Steel, Batman: Year One, and The Authority (well, it’s published by DC now but it’s not really a DC book, but still good). Good books for later: Mister Miracle (Tom King), the Crises, DKR, Watchmen, The New Frontier, and JLA (Grant Morrison).

1 Like

A great starter book for Superman is “Superman: American Alien”. It is also my favorite Superman series.

Other great suggestions have already been made, so no need to repeat.

Most importantly, have fun!

Welcome you should read Shazam comics and watch the DC universe orginals (titans, doom patrol, young justice) u need to watch young justice in order tho. It’s a really good animated series that was cancelled by it was brought back recently. It currently has 3 seasons but we’re in a mid season break in S3 but it will return in July

1 Like

You should really watch young justice:outsiders because it is awesome!!! And a really good comic run would be dark knights metal and a lot of the new 52 stuff including batman, nightwing, redhood and the outlaws, and teen titans.

Also if u are look8ng for history and backstory to doom patrol the O.G. doom patrol comics are a great read!

Also don’t forget to watch dc daily to stay updated

1 Like

If you want something different and want to be ready for the new show check out Swamp Thing. I’d read the first 10 issues by the original team- Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson. After that hop on Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore and some truly spectacular artists.

The other suggestions seem solid as well. I’m sure you’ll find a lot to enjoy.

Welcome to the DC family!!!

2 Likes

For those new to DC I truly envy you. There’s nothing like discovering the stories and characters the first time through. There’s so much goodness, enjoy!

1 Like

Geoff Johns run of Aquaman was amazing and everything since has been good to great.
I personally love the Silver Age and the hook hand era of Aquaman as well. Especially after the Death of a Prince storyline.

Both full volumes of Jonah Hex were great id you’re into westerns. There also was a run in the late 80s called “Hex” which is like a Mad Max Jonah Hex.

The 96-09 run of Nightwing was GREAT.

Mike Grell Green Arrow is amazing

Red Hood and the Outlaws was great from the New 52. This newest run hasn’t been better but new 52 was defiantly better.

Also Sage of Swamp Thing is maybe one of the best stories ever written

As of this writing, it’s not on DC Universe, but Major Bummer was utterly insane in the best possible way. The Morrison/Waid/Kelly run on JLA is hard to beat. Superman: Secret Identity is sort of an Elseworld story and it usually makes everyone’s top ten list of Superman stories. The Unauthorized Biography of Lex Luthor forever changed how I see the villain. And anything by Gail Simone, starting with her run on Birds of Prey