New Super-Family Reader

Hey Y’all!

I’ve always been a big batfamily fan, but have never gotten around to reading a lot of superman/superfamily stuff! I’m planning on reading more superman stuff but I’m also considering reading the New-Superman Rebirth comics.

I would really like some reading recs for superfamily. Kal-El, Kon-El, Kara and all! I’m also a big Teen Titans/Titans fan so I have a little bit of Superboy knowledge but not a ton.

Also what are your guys’ thoughts on the New-Superman comic? I don’t know what to expect going into it so I’m really curious to hear opinions from superman fans.

6 Likes

New Super-Man is, no joke, one of the best Superman books ever published. Highly recommended!

5 Likes

In terms of further recs: the current Superman run by Joshua Williamson is pretty fantastic, and the relatively recent #1 is a great jumping on point.

For Kara, you can’t do much better than Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow. And for Kon, I have a special fondness for the 1994 Karl Kesel Superboy series.

4 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the recommendation!

Would you say it is similar to most superman comics? Or it is pretty unique and disconnected from the rest?

4 Likes

I would say it’s VERY unique, and that’s what makes it stand out. New Super-Man is about Kong Kenan, the Superman of China, and our more familiar Superman himself plays just a small supporting role in it. But it really examines the heart of what a Superman book is supposed to be, from an entirely different cultural perspective.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @crowmantic interesting post, I enjoyed the new Superman rebirth comic a lot!

4 Likes

Awesome recommended threads to check out for.

4 Likes

Aww!! Oh my goodness thank you so much for the recommendations and the warm welcome!! <3

4 Likes

heck yeah a new super fan
ive got some recommendations since you highlighted kon-el
but like hubcityquestion said new super-man is one of the best superman books

for kon-el read the original 90’s run (wouldnt say its aged well though)
young justice by peter david
teen titans by geoff johns
superboy by jeff lemire
superboy : the boy of steel by geoff johns
wonder comics young justice by brian michael bendis
and the recent Superboy : man of tomorrow series

reading new 52 superboy is optional but as a whole is not important to the overall lore of superboy as it is a different character entirely

also you can see classic conner in the current superman titles like action comics and superman but he also played a role in the just wrapped up speed force series

4 Likes

for kong kenan or kenan kong (i forget go easy on me)

new super-man is amazing and he has two backup stories in recent action comics issues

3 Likes

Yesss! Thanks so much. I loved conner in young justice I’d love to see more of him developed as a character. I know he is quite different in a lot of the comics and I’m so excited to read them

3 Likes

very different but both are still amazing characters

in case you dont know like others that are new to the superfam

these kon-el/conner are the same guy

unless hes gray
then hes actually not conner but a clone of him named Match

4 Likes

Is that like his Bizarro version

(I also do not know much about Bizarro :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

its basically bizzaro superboy yeah
however he doesnt have reversed powers like bizzaro and he could actually take meds to have conners skin color rather than the bizzaro type
its just once he learned he was conners clone he didnt really need to take those meds anymore

3 Likes

Thats so interesting! I really didn’t know anything about Match. I definitely know my stuff when it comes to anything batman/batfamily but the second I enter too far into superman territory i get lost haha.

Thanks for filling me in! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

theres a match in the original run of superboy but its not nearly as interesting as
suicide squad 2021 match
and no prob

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, new friend @crowmantic! Please let us moderators know if you ever need anything :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Will do, thanks so much! :heart:

4 Likes

if you need any help with kon-el / conners appearances in stuff or general questions about the character
his thread was already linked earlier so you can find it

3 Likes

Welcome to the community! I really can’t help you too much where Superman is concerned, but I am sure the many Superman fans here will be glad to help you!

3 Likes