New 'Shazam!' Limited Series Arrives July 20!

New ‘Shazam!’ Limited Series Arrives July 20!

Billy Batson’s new adventures launch directly from the pages of ‘Teen Titans Academy’

“SHAZAM!” With a single magic word, the powers of six ancient gods—the wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules, the stamina of Atlas, the power of Zeus, the courage of Achilles and the speed of Mercury—are placed in the hands of teenage Billy Batson, transforming him into The World’s Mightiest Mortal! A new Shazam! four-issue mini-series from Tim Sheridan and Clayton Henry, spinning out of the pages of Teen Titans Academy , arrives July 20!

Billy Batson came to Titans Academy looking for answers, but so far has kept his Shazam! identity a secret from his new classmates. Why was the rest of his adopted family cut off from the power of Shazam!? Why are his own powers becoming increasingly unreliable? What has happened to the Rock of Eternity, where is the Wizard, and who can help Billy get his powers back to normal before these mysterious events turn into a full-blown crisis?

The answers send Billy on an outrageous adventure that’ll not only change him…but have an immense impact on the school and other students on Titans Island!

Shazam! #1 (of 4) by Tim Sheridan, Clayton Henry and Marcelo Maiolo arrives on July 20 with covers by Henry and Maiolo (main), Gary Frank and Brad Anderson (card stock variant) and Steve Lieber (1:25 card stock variant). Shazam! will retail for $3.99 US for 32 pages ($4.99 for card stock variants).

Are you looking forward to this new SHAZAM! Limited Series? Let us know in the comments below!

12 Likes

Not really, we just had a good series about him end. There are plenty of other heroes I am more interested in getting their own series. I will probably wait until it is all out and then read whenever I happen to be interested.

3 Likes

I’m planning to take a peek. I admit, it’s going to be tough for this fairly-unknown team to reach the levels of the last series.

Some preview panels would be great soon.

2 Likes

Definitely looking forward to it. Gotta catch up on Titans Academy first, I guess. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a Marcelo Maiolo book - I’m looking forward to see how his coloring style jives with Henry’s art. Assuming we will still get the periodic black and white panel with single color impact.

2 Likes

Im certainly curious. I wasn’t really wowed by the previous series and considering Billys supposed to be one of the big characters with magic type stuff, im expecting some interesting things in this.

1 Like

I’m not sure about this, though I’ve never been a huge Shazam fan. I’ll probably wait till DCUI, but I do REALLY want that “Dore” cover it looks sooo cool!

Indeed! Amazing!

1 Like

Yes, I want to get this.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @Shazam.of.the.Whills! Seems like you’ll be right at home here as we have a lot of Shazam fans - any particular reason you’re looking forward to this new limited series? :00_shazam:

1 Like

Shazam? Yes please!
Limited? Ugh!

:00_shazam:

2 Likes

The idea of losing the Shazam family members - Darla, Mary, Freddie, Eugene, and Pablo - really doesn’t appeal to me. They’ve been so underutilized, and they have so much potential. Plus, I really, really didn’t enjoy Sheridan’s work in Future State. I want Shazam to be a fun story with fun pulpy adventures, not angsty and edgy like this promises to be.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this one. I dug Sheridan’s take on Shazam! in Future State: Shazam! and enjoyed Teen Titans Academy #1, so I see no reason why I won’t enjoy this as well.

1 Like

Most Captain Marvel stories I have watched/read are rather dark, especially when they get into all the voices he hears in his head.

What if the panels are just stick figures with no backgrounds?

1 Like

Fair enough. I’m not saying that there can’t be darkness, but it feels like this is avoiding the positive elements available to them.

And why would Billy go to get help from the Teen Titans instead of the JLA where Black Adam is?

And why does Black Adam still have his powers?

And why did DC screw up the Marvel Family when Geoff Johns had just fixed everything?

And why does DC insist on building toward this Future State nonsense?

And why do I have to watch another episode of SOAP to get the answers to these questions?

OK, I am buying it because it is a Captain Marvel comic. If Teen Titans Academy doesn’t improve DRASTICALLY, it will be dropped to make room. Billy’s the only student that interests me so far.

1 Like

I’ll be honest (and this may be an unpopular opinion), but I have not really enjoyed Geoff Johns’s Shazam!

It’s fine. Nothing particularly wrong with it. And he has definitely written stories for other characters that I liked.

However, I’m so excited for someone else to tackle the Big Red Cheese!

I’ve just been forced to reread Thunderworld by Grant Morrison!

1 Like

My favorite of his Captain Marvel stories is his Justice Society run with him trying to redeem Black Adam and his romance with Stargirl.