New Shared Animated Universe

I’ve seen rumors and speculation of DC rebooting their shared animated universe after Apokalypse War. With the trailer of Man Of Tomorrow out I really loved the new art style and I started hoping it would stick around for future animated films. I mean, I would love films that are unconnected so we could actually get some faithful adaptions of stories and finally focus on some other characters other than Batman and Damian. But having a shared universe is easier to connect characters and have more opportunities for character development so I’m a little torn. Why not both? Either way though, if there is another shared universe on the way I’m hoping and PRAYING they do something different! The last set - despite their good films pretty much showcased everything I and a lot of other people from what I’ve seen had problems with in the last decade or so of comics. That being a singular focus on a select few characters while other characters either took a back seat or weren’t featured or really used at all, had their moments or stories “stolen”, or jobbed out to any and everybody, along with little connections and relationships.
Personally, I would LOVE to see a new shared animated universe where each character (all the ones used that is) have their own character arc. Y’know with Man Of Tomorrow starting from the beginning it’s be nice to see Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Aquaman get their own films before heading into something big like Justice league. From there giving each title their own trilogy adding new characters and teams along the way with their own trilogy arcs. And of course if they wanna throw in and do right by my favorite characters speaking it into existence Nightwing and Titans then yeah I’d be elated.
Is there anything you guys would like to see from DC Animated films? Do you not want a new shared universe? I’d love to see where everybodys’ head’s at.

I would like NOT to have a shared universe! I’d like to see a wider variety of tone and style than we’ve seen from DC’s animated film output since Flashpoint War.

1 Like

See, that’s my dilemma! Without a shared universe we’d get more variety of characters and stories, but with one we won’t really get any character development or character arcs. Like why can’t we can’t have both?

You can get character development in a single movie. That’s what happens in… most movies throughout the past 100 years.

1 Like

Yes, you are correct in that. But when was there character development in a single DC animated movie? I honestly couldn’t name one.

Mask of the Phantasm, Under the Red Hood, Superman: Doomsday, Crisis on Two Earths, Assault on Arkham, Justice League: The New Frontier, Green Lantern: First Flight, and Green Lantern: Emerald Knights all come to mind.

2 Likes

Even in the shared universe we’d see character development in single movies. Constantine was my the same person he was at the beginning of the first Dark film. Damian was not the same kid as he was in the beginning of Son of Batman. Bruce was not the same father as he was at the beginning of Apokolips War. Characters grow and change in each movie. Sometimes they revert back just like people do in real life. But, make no mistake, each movie had their own character growth. That being said, Hub did a great job at pointing out all the phenomenal solo films they did for a while.

Love all of those movies… but haven’t watched them in awhile.