New Ongoing Series Batgirls Has Been Announced!

Isn’t Tim Drake and Damian Wayne currently each a Robin?

8 Likes

pretty sure Bruce and Dick were both batman at the same time, with their also being the Batman of Japan, also Tim and Damian are both kind of using the Robin moniker

5 Likes

Really since when? And that all sounds stupid.

so I was right before I even knew I was :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: I can’t eye roll any harder.

Im not saying it was smart just that there is precedent, the batman were during Batman inc, both boys have been using the robin logo. damian series is called robin, but tim is also called robin

2 Likes

Also, right now there are Bruce Wayne and Jace Fox as Batman. Not to mention that there will be a book coming out soon called Robins, which will have all of the Robins in it. There are also currently two Supermans, both Clark and Jon.

I think there is room for more than one character to have a name as long as the story works and so far, everything I have read is working. Of course, there is no right or wrong answer here as they are opinions.

6 Likes

Robins isn’t canon. And right now as far as we know neither is Jace’s Batman. But it very well could be soon as it’s been said Bruce is FINALLY retiring (though I’d rather him be killed off so he can’t come back when sales inevitably drop). So Jace’s Batman could be the future.

Oh! I’m liking most of what I’m seeing, especially if it means they’ll actually commit to Babs being Oracle instead of being, for highly suspect reasons, stuck in a junior role she grew out of a long time ago.

But in particular, Cass hasn’t headlined a book in so long. I pretty much don’t read new stuff, but I may make an exception for that alone. Steph’s Batgirl book wasn’t as good as everyone thinks it was, but I like her as a character and her dynamic with Cass. And she still seems to be using the Spoiler suit here, so I’m… not sure we’re supposed to be interpreting this as “two people both named Batgirl at the same time?”

Not familiar with the creative team, so I can’t comment on them, though.

8 Likes

Considering, I Am Batman is debuting as part of Fear State, I would say that is cannon. Is there anything saying Robins isn’t cannon? At this point, I think everything is cannon as they have gone through a lot of work to open up the Multiverse.

5 Likes

Well the fact that all the art I’ve seen for it shows them all as kids and well all except 1 aren’t children… also “opening up the multiverse” doesn’t make everything canon. It just makes it another universe, not apart of this one. That’s not how the multiverse works.
As for Fear State that’s what I was talking about. The Batman Twitter account said Bruce was retiring after Fear State and asking who would be the next Batman. This takes precedence that Jace’s Batman is set in the near future. So they’re not Batman at the same time though they have books running at the same time. And that’s if DC even commits to it (which they rarely commit to any concept/idea).

How wouldn’t that be how the Multiverse works. If they are all kids, wouldn’t it be possible that there is a Multiverse that is nothing but kid heroes? If so, that Mutiverse now exists and is cannon. Also, I just looked up Robins and saw that they aren’t all kids. Nightwing and Red Hood both look to be adults.

3 Likes

I would go along with your I Am Batman theory that it just happens to be released while Fear State comics are being released if it wasn’t on the Fear State Checklist.

5 Likes

Yeah is canon for THAT universe and timeline not the current one we’re on! That’s not how the multiverse works. That’s like saying gaslight Batman and Kingdom Come are currently canon. They are not. They are their own things with their own timelines with their own canon, not canon in this universe.

So in other words it WILL be canon soon once Fear State starts and does whatever it’s gonna do. But as of right now it’s not. So as I said I Am Batman is set in the future. After Fear Stare Jace will more than likely be the new Batman and Bruce will have retired. Therefore not at the same time.

Fear State has started and we are currently on the second I Am Batman. It is in the same timeline, not in the future. At least, that is how it is present in I Am Batman. Keep in mind, after Fear State Bruce is leaving Gotham and there will still be a Batman comic featuring Bruce as well as the Jace Fox story.

4 Likes

Wait till Fear State is over and see how it’s presented then. If I’m wrong I’m wrong but it makes no sense for Jace to just put in a Bat suit when there’s already Batman running around. Plus Bruce would never let another person be Batman while he was still kicking, he’s too narcissistic for that. The only time he allows it is when he can’t and it benefits him and his cause. Unless both Bruce as Batman and Jace as Batman are together in the same panel they could make it so everything from I Am Batman happened after Fear State when Bruce finally retires.

1 Like

Conversely, I was looking for another upcoming title so I could cap my list off at a specific number and Batgirls is just what the doctor ordered.

Of course, that was before I decided to read World of Krypton, the Black Label Swamp Thing mini and Mark Russell’s new book (whose title temporarily escapes me).

Now I’m past the number I had in mind, and would like to add another title to cap things off at a new specific number.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. :joy:

2 Likes

I love the concept! Maybe this is a standalone title? I think that could be an interesting idea if they have their own little pocket of the universe. I’ll definitely pick it up either way! One nitpick I have based on this images is that why is Stephanie in the Spoiler costume with the bat symbol? That seems a little disjointed to me.

4 Likes

Part of me wants DC to do a Bat-Family Culling.

1 Like

They apparently added that around the time of Joker War, around the same time Orphan was given Cassandra’s old Bat-suit (because yay, visual nostalgia but not actually fixing your mistakes). So it looks like this forthcoming book is in-continuity, not a branch universe or anything.

Though, oddly enough, I have considered off and on the past several months, that if they’d just have one title set pre-Flashpoint with Cass, Steph, and others, written by someone good, I’d give it a shot. [shrug]

1 Like

I’m down. They can kill Bruce and Jason. Either Kate or the new girl can go. bLuE bIrD and Duke’s entire existence can be forgotten. Jace or Luke can be the new Batman and whoever isn’t can go. They can leave Dick out of it as it would help his character not being shackled to them and Barbara anymore. If Alfred was still here he could stay. Barbara can play Oracle. Cass can be Batgirl while Steph can stay as Spoiler. Tim needs to find his own identity instead of being a knock-off brand Dick Grayson and Damian can be Robin. But truthfully the only members required for the Batfam is a - meaning singular - Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Oracle, Alfred, and MAYBE a Batwoman. That it. That’s all they need. You can stretch it and add Spoiler and whoever Tim decides to be (as long as he gets some originality) but Gotham is covered we don’t need more than that and we certainly don’t need Bruce anymore. But sadly being that Bruce’s existence is DC’s entire marketing strategy that’s unlikely so he will continue to live and not age or experience any form of character development, holding back the batfam and the entire DC universe forcing everyone to continue going around in circles until the glorious day DC pulls their heads out of their collective asses which isn’t likely.