New JSA Mini-Series

DC has announced 3 new mini-series for JSA members to premiere in October of this year. One will focus on Alan Scott, one will focus on Wesley Dodds and the last will see Jay Garrick reunite with his daughter, Judy.

10 Likes
  • Alan Scott: The Green Lantern by Tim Sheridan and Cian Tormey
  • Jay Garrick: The Flash by Jeremy Adams and Diego Olortegui
  • Wesley Dodds: The Sandman by Rob Venditti and Riley Rossmo
10 Likes

Alan and Jay go in the BUY pile

6 Likes

Honestly I am most excited about Sandman, especially since Venditti is writing him.

7 Likes

Wes isn’t one of my favorite JSAers and I detest the artist.

6 Likes

I love Venditti, and Wes is one of my favorite members. It is also hardest to find good Sandman works.

5 Likes

Jay’s is a must but I’ll try to pick up all three. I like Wes. Sandman Mystery Theatre was a good book back in the day.

6 Likes

Will probably end up grabbing all 3 but looking forward to Sandman the most.

4 Likes

I plan on buying them all, but if money gets tight Sandman is first choice. Between Flash and Green Lantern it will purely depend on my mood at the time.

6 Likes

Cool – I am curious if these books will end up coming to DCUI at the same time like with Stargirl, so if that happens I’ll definitely read them there. I’m probably most interested in Green Lantern and Sandman, though.

7 Likes

@MatthewHecht Follow your posts on DC diary

Looks like we got more Justice society. :grin:

4 Likes

3 Likes

This just shows that all golden age characters are important. I still remember when JSA comic killed wesley dodds for no apparent reason around 1999. I still remember when terry sloane was killed during the bronze age. I see plenty of reasons to keep all golden age characters around in current time, and there are versions of continuity that can make this very easy to do.

4 Likes

Wesley Dodds was killed because he was at the time the most successful JSA member so killing him would be a huge deal. It is the equivalent to if the Justice League was brought back by Batman’s death that stays permanent for over 20 years.

3 Likes

I do not agree with having dead golden age characters bec how do you make a profit from dead golden age characters.

4 Likes

Here is the issue that is going to arise in regards to keeping around Golden Age heroes like Alan Scott or Wesley Dodds. These are characters that are famously tied to a real world event, WW2. That is always going to age these characters to varying extents, depending on the era when they still show up in DC Comics.

Don’t take this to mean I want them to stop using them. I loved reading the JSA comics that ran through the 2000s, this is a team I love. But DC needs to be smarter on how they use these characters and the setting they use for their stories.

4 Likes

Make the greatest ongoing comic series ever apparently.

2 Likes

I think I’ll buy the Alan Scott and sandman series. Aesthetically I always loved the hat and gas mask combo always associated with the character yet funny enough I don’t much about the original character. When I think of this character, I think about how he’s got the look from the watchmen and the name I associate with Neil gaiman sandman universe. I know, I’m terrible for that. I really look forward to that series.

The Alan Scott miniseries meanwhile I am completely fascinated by. Tim Sheridan is the writer and while I don’t know much about his other stuff I do know he wrote a lot of the DC Shazam and Titans books that while fun and I liked them enough. It didn’t exactly leave me wanting more by the end. However reading the synopsis of this story online, it sounds incredibly ambitious and thought-provoking.

“Alan Scott: The Green Lantern revisits and recontextualizes the origins of the first Green Lantern through the lens of our modern understanding of the man. The story, which begins in the 1930s, is about an old flame - the kind that burns eternal - and the sometimes head-on, single-track collision of our personal and professional lives. This is Alan’s coming-of-age, in which he must embrace the man he is, to become the hero he’s meant to be. In the end, he’ll have gained a greater understanding of himself and his gifts - as he unlocks a new, previously unknown ability that could make him the most powerful Green Lantern in existence!”

Not sure about making him that powerful green lantern because he was already special as a green lantern already. Besides that I’m really hoping just from that info and the character we are going to see something great from it.

3 Likes

He is already the most powerful green lantern in existence.

3 Likes

I know, which is why I wonder why make even more powerful than even that? For me he doesn’t need a level up to make him better because he’s already powerful as he is and more special than most of the other earth based green lanterns already.

3 Likes