New Artstyle Nightwing Test

Mostly I do real to life graphite work, but I gave all of it away at a con to Matt Ryan, so I decided to try something different. Liked my (previous) icon a lot, so I decided to mess about with it. Never done cross hatching before and got too nervous to mess more with the face. Let me know what you think!

138 Likes

This is amazing and looks incredible! I think the crosshatching you have is done really well. I particularly like how you drew this in black and white except for the blue mask/suit - it looks really cool! I really like your icon too; I’m so glad you chose to draw it. You did a fantastic job!

11 Likes

Nice work @steelneena.

7 Likes

Wow! Such a kind response! Thank you!

5 Likes

That looks awesome. :+1:

5 Likes

That Is Absolutely Gorgeous :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

That’s your first time cross hatching?

Back to sketchbooks of practice I go.

3 Likes

woah, Rad! that is extremely awesome and impressive!

3 Likes

Hair is forgiving. Don’t give up! We’re all our own worst critics. After I did the hair, I copied the basic work and made four scans and did a bunch of practices in different styles and whatnot and all the crosshatching I did on the face was not great. Thus, I didn’t do any more.

7 Likes

Speaking of cons, you could’ve told me you bought this from a professional artist who’s drawn Nightwing professionally at a con and I would absolutely believe it.

6 Likes

This is genuinely the nicest thing ever. Thank you so much.

4 Likes

You have every right to feel pride in this. Keep up the great work and don’t stop! Would love to see you try drawing Jason or Tim next.

7 Likes

Thank you! It’s definitely on my mind. Just need a chance to step out and get new pens : / I ran out of black there near the end.

5 Likes

Ugh that’s always the worst!! Especially when the ink gets weirdly kinda tinted brown or purple as it dries out :face_vomiting::joy:

4 Likes

This is really great work. Cross hatching on this is pretty good and I understand your reluctance. What helped me with cross hatching is watching some twitch videos of Jim Lee doing various works (can also find them on YouTube).
Keep up the good work!

6 Likes

Ironically that’s partly what inspired me to try this!

5 Likes

That looks amazing!! you did incredible!

4 Likes

I have no idea what cross hatching is but this looks phenomenal. I wouldn’t be surprised if you told me this was a variant cover.

4 Likes

Everyone here is so kind, I can hardly believe it. Thank you so much.

6 Likes

It has a real “take on me” vibe and I like it

6 Likes