Negative Man's Cook Book, Week 1: Ollie's Chili Recipe

If theres one thing I love more than comics its food. Since Doom Patrol premiers this February I decided to make a thread every week this month of DC cooking recipes, and then we can all exchange cooking recipes for the specific topic, this week being Chili.

Men of Steel of melted at the heat of his Chili, not even Hal Jordan has the will power to finish it without rinsing it down with a nice cool glass of Soder Cola…

Straight from “Green Arrow Secret Files and Origins #1
"Ingredients:
1 ½ pounds lean sirloin chunks
2 teaspoons of cumin
2 teaspoons of paprika
1 teaspoon of cayenne
1 cup minced onion
½ cup of chopped green pepper (optional)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ teaspoons of salt
½ teaspoon of dried basil, crushed
1 tablespoon California chili powder (hot)
1 tablespoon Gebhardt chili powder
1 tablespoon Hot New Mexico chili powder
1 16-ounce can of tomatoes, cut up
2 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce
2 16-ounce cans of dark red kidney beans, partially drained
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
Tabasco sauce to taste
½ cup water

Garnish:
Grated Cheese
Oyster crackers or saltines
Chopped onions

Directions
In a large saucepan, brown ground beef and spices together until flavor blends well. Drain the fat. Add onion, green pepper and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in undrained tomatoes, seasonings, tomato sauce and water into a large pan. Let simmer for several hour. Occasionally stir. Ten minutes before serving, add brown sugar, tobasco sauce, and beans. Serve with “help yourself” bowls of grated cheese, oyster crackers, and chopped onions"

Now whats your chili recipes? What are some good ole chili stories if you have any. What are some Ideas for next week?(Probably going to run out pretty fast, lol)

tumblr_phms6pi7s81s05hv8o2_500.gif

9 Likes

A can of Hormel chili with beans is pretty awesome. I guess you could go all Rorschach and eat it cold, straight out of the can.

3 Likes

For future recipes, I’d like to know his waffle recipe. Or onion rings. Man, those looked good.

1 Like

Cool! Chili is tasty. Rorschach likes beans cold and I ate a can of meatless chili bone cold on a bet once. I won :wink:

This has inspired me to crack open my copy of “The DC Super Hero Cookbook”. It has oodles of DC recipes in it.

Food is awesome.

2 Likes

THIS IS SO COOL! Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Negative Man’s cooking scene was one of my favorite scenes in Titans.

2 Likes

@vroom I saw something like that! Didn’t know if they were on going gags like Green Arrow’s Chili but was going to see about picking that book up somewhere for future recipes & posts.

1 Like

I haven’t made anything from the DC cookbook yet but with Doom Patrol on the horizon, I’ll probably want to whip up something tasty.

I’ve only flipped through the book, but the smoothies look especially good. Maybe that’s because I’m thirsty ATM. Time for a Fanta :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There are a couple of cookbooks actually, Saw something about “DC SUPER HEROES SUPER HEALTHY COOKBOOK” from like the 80s, maybe ill try and find that on ebay or something

1 Like

Honestly a coincidence but I planned to make chili this week. Maybe I’ll take some inspiration from this recipe.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be something if Negative Man had a cooking show on YouTube where he shared a recipe with subscribers and cooked it on the show with guest appearances from other characters and special guests?

2 Likes

“We’ve got a special treat for our viewers today. Martha Kent is here with here prize winning apple pie! C’mon over Martha!”

That would be neat.

2 Likes

I know this by heart and even make it every so often. It’s so good!!!

gonna try this

1 Like