Native American Superheroes

Why don’t we have Indegenous representations in comics?

8 Likes

DC has had a couple but the only one that really made an impression to me was Dawnstar of the LOS and another member of the short lived recent JLA. Marvel has been a little better with members of the X-men, New Mutants and Alpha Flight. You would want to create a character that reflects that culture without stereotypes.

4 Likes

I know there are some good native heros but they are always background characters and as a Native myself I just wish their was one that would finally be the Main

2 Likes

What about Man of Bats from Grant Morrison?

You’re right. There needs to be much more. Alot of untapped potential. DC needs to explore this. Read some great stories from Sherman Alexie. It’s sad how Native American have been pushed aside in society.

4 Likes

Mohicabwarrior agree. For me it’s about opening up more storylines and possibilities.

1 Like

I don’t know if he counts but movie Aquaman’s dad is supposed to be a pacific islander though he’s played by Temuera Morrison so he might be an immigrant from New Zealand. One of Jason Momoa’s parents ( I think his father) is an indigenpus Hawaiian though.

1 Like

I think what is needed is more native and or indigenous peoples writing or “drawing” the material. To see true and accurate representations of our/these cultures, I think it would have to come directly from the source so to speak.

But yes to see a badass native man or woman represented in a title all their own would be awesome and long overdue.

4 Likes

Timber of the recent Immortal Men series is Native American. Just one character but a step in the right direction.

I’d be interested in more NA characters/titles.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget poor Adam Beach got his head blown of in S.S. before he got like 5 lines
…tsk tsk.

3 Likes

i would love to see as native american hero. but they would need some one who knows the history and culture well enough to give it the proper honor when writing .

2 Likes

@altorrez83…ikr, the whole theater busted out in laughter…it was soo weak.

I think the time has come. Comics have finally figured out how to write characters that are not stereotypical and offensive, so I bet that a Native American character could truly harness the inherent strength and power of our first nations.

1 Like

Theres Thunderbird and warpath of the xmen

3 Likes

There are few and far between, unfortunately. I just watched the Young Justice episodes, and in s2 they do a new interpretation of a character from the og Superfriends show that i thought was interesting. In the comics, an alternate version of Shazam that was done(called Capt. Thunder) would be worthy of a reboot, but they would need to do a way better job to show respect to the First American cultures being represented.

1 Like

Apache Chief is a native american from DC

4 Likes

I forgot about a black condor reboot they did a few yrs. ago as a miniseries. I liked that, but it didn’t go anywhere.

Superman’s origins are based on the Iroquois creation story. My native America studies professor sat next to Jerry Siegel in college lecture’s. I remember my professor telling me that
Sky Woman is the Iroquois mother goddess, who descended to earth by falling through a hole in the sky. She was a celestial being who was cast out of the heavens either for violating a taboo or through her jealous husband’s treachery; waterbirds carried her down to the sea and set her on the back of a turtle, which became her home. Siegel found inspiration in the myth and has now given us what we see today.

2 Likes

@stray

That’s far out!

Check out “Scout” @Dynamite Entertainment

Teen Titans Earth 2