:00_dc_2016: Naomi Season 1 Discussion Thread :00_dc_2016:

Then, if so many were so bothered by the crossovers, why did they draw the biggest viewership? Also, why are you not mad at Marvel making you watch every movie and series?

3 Likes

I do not think I have to watch Captain Marvel in order to understand Black Adam. I hope not, since I am looking forward to watching Hawkman clobber Adam.

2 Likes

Captain Marvel is Marvel, Black Adam is DC. You do need to watch Ms Marvel to be up to speed for the Captain Marvel sequel though…

3 Likes

Looks like a DC property to me.

3 Likes

No, he can’t be referred by that name in the films. Captain Marvel is completely different than Shazam…

3 Likes

I don’t watch Marvel. Also, those watching probably only watched the crossover episodes-know some who only watched the Crisis episodes. Regardless of who’s watching, it’s a poor marketing strategy.

3 Likes

How is it a poor marketing strategy when it boosted sales, subscriptions, and views? That’s the very point of marketing, to make more money and it worked…

2 Likes

Except the shows are ending because of it. Ask most people, the first few seasons of Arrow (before the huge crossover events) were the best. Look at Smallville- 10 seasons and it didn’t require some gigantic crossover scheme to keep the show with viewers. As the time gets divided into making a crossover between the shows, an individual show’s quality goes down. We can continue to argue about the merits of crossovers, but it is off-topic for a discussion on Naomi, which did not include any crossovers.

3 Likes

First, I tried to get this back on topic long ago. Second, Smallville doesn’t compare because it didn’t spawn a universe of shows. Third, crossovers do work, that’s why they keep doing them (Bionic/Six Million, Law and Order, the Chicago shows, and on and on). Finally, the shows are not ending because of the crossovers, Amell decided to stop doing Arrow, then the CW is being sold off and they are trying to reduce the money being spent on it…

2 Likes

From the reports about Batgirl and Scooby sequel, it’s not looking good for DC and WB, and crossovers or poor adaptations are absolutely not to blame…

3 Likes

Smallville still applies as they were originally going to make a Green Arrow spinoff and then Arrow was the next show. Plus, the CoIE used the show in the plot.

It also doesn’t matter what shows implement it- many shows can include other things like recurring roles for the same actor, laughing tracks, etc.- just because other shows do it doesn’t make it an effective technique. Crossovers don’t belong in series that are otherwise self-contained, they belong in series where it’s practical and on a frequent basis (Brave and the Bold).

And while the typical response is Arrow ended based on Stephen Amell, the quality of the show ended when they kept trying to make more and more shows under the Arrowverse.

Overall, crossovers do not help a show.

3 Likes

I am done, because all you want to do is argue. Back to Naomi…

4 Likes

I could say the same about you, but okay.

3 Likes

Just going to point out arguably the biggest show on television announced a crossover (NCIS) so must be something to them. But again, Naomi was a poorly adapted show and even a crossover wouldn’t have been able to fix what was wrong with it. It did give us a major look at Wonder Woman on television for the first time in decades though, so at least it has that…

2 Likes

I must have gotten so bored I’d fallen asleep and missed this.

2 Likes

A crossover would’ve made Naomi worse. While it could bring appeal for those who’ve never heard of the show seeing Naomi on the other series or seeing characters like Flash on the show, it just gets messy, regardless of how many series uses it.

What Naomi needed was more thought put into it. Having her weak one second and then immediately recovering and destroying the thing that made her weak in another, and all the build-up for a major letdown shows meticulously organizing the script was not done.

3 Likes

The comic shop had a huge poster of a Wonder Woman cover from volume 1

3 Likes

Aaaaah… you tricked me there!

Was gonna go back looking for a Wonder Woman cameo somewheres (not) :joy:

3 Likes