:00_dc_2016: Naomi Season 1 Discussion Thread :00_dc_2016:

I don’t want to come off as being “that guy”. Because Stargirl is one of my favorite characters, and I really enjoy the show. But given season 3 is more or less finished I can’t imagine CW not airing it, as then they just threw all that money away and from what I understand it did good in the ratings. So got little doubt we will get season 3.

But even if CW had decided to cancel Stargirl after season 3, it is highly unlikely they would want to announce that before season 3 even airs as it would almost certinally lead to less pope watching it. Kind of like Naomi which I don’t think was a coincidence waited until the day after the season ended to annonce it rather than when Batgirl and Legends, two shows who’s seasons had already aired, cancellations were announced.

Again, hope that it does survive and from what I heard the ratings were not bad so maybe it will. And likely how well it does season 3 will factor into that. But I also think even if their cancellation had been decided, they wouldn’t announce it now.

4 Likes

Stargirl only aired on The CW because they were willing to buy the syndication rights to it and thereby funnel money towards its production, but if those syndication rights were to lapse, all production costs would likely default to - and be wholly absorbed by - the production companies involved and Warner Bros. Television Distribution directly and any decisions about the show’s future would be made by the people in charge of said production companies and Warner Bros. Discovery directly.

3 Likes

I didn’t think anyone was even debating whether or not they’d air season 3. I definitely agree it’d make no sense to not air it, but you do also bring up a good point about them potentially waiting until the season’s done like they did for the other shows this year. It’d certainly be quite odd for them to announce it’s cancelled only for us to watch the final season that’ll certainly still be setting up future seasons instead of wrapping up the story. But this is still the time of year when we get announcements of show renewals and cancellations w/ upfronts, so a big part of me is still convinced we’ll know 1 way or another by the end of the month

3 Likes

I have to agree that it would be unlikely for The CW to announce the cancellation of Stargirl before its third season even airs. That could affect the ratings, and that is the last thing any network would want. As it is, I don’t know that it would matter if The CW cancelled it. It originated on HBO Max and even if The CW cancelled it, I assume it would continue there.

As it is, The CW is cancelling a lot of shows, more than usual. It’s not just Legends of Tomorrow and Naomi. I am thinking it could be because of the sale to Nexstar, which this Hollywood Reporter article mentions.

1 Like

They cancalled In the Dark before the Fourth season even starts next month

4 Likes

And DC Universe cancelled Swamp Thing 1 episode in, don’t think it hurt the viewership…

3 Likes

The CW Mass Canceling shows sucks!! First Batwoman, & Legends of Tommorow now Naomi!?

Sure the show was different then the comics but it had lots of potential!

Really hope Stargirl doesn’t get canned as well!

All I can say is when all the DC shows end I probably won’t be watching The CW anymore! :rage:

2 Likes

Like i said earlier, Stargirl’s future is not controlled by The CW, as the network merely paid for the syndicated broadcast rights to the series as opposed to directly commissioning its production as was the case with Legends of Tomorrow, Batwoman, Naomi, and the other TV series it cancelled.

4 Likes

I liked both Stargirl and Naomi at the beginning of their runs, and enjoyed how they were pretty faithful to the characters’ initial comic book runs. Stargirl has the benefit of the JSA mythology behind it and the writers put together interesting storylines while bringing in new JSA heroes or derivatives on a regular basis. Naomi, being a new character had little of its own mythology or accumulated connections to the DC Universe. Naomi’s becoming part of the Justice League in the comics wasn’t likely to translate to a CW show. With all due respect to Bendis, Naomi was far from being an ideal character to bring to TV.

Also, while I was sad about Legends being cancelled. it had a terrific run. I don’t think its abrupt ending is a tragedy.

Finally, Batwoman was getting better but I think the producers handcuffed themselves by taking two seasons to put Kate Kane and Alice behind them. It would be cool to get a grittier revival with Ryan Wilder and Luke Fox on HBO Max.

3 Likes

I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. Naomi was altering the comic story from the start, and changing her origin was a detrimental aspect they didn’t recover from, esp in the finale.

I think she was a good character for TV, the translation was bad. I mean, she is an amazing character, but she doesn’t have enough history or popularity to carry a feature film, but I think a properly done TV series would have worked.

Seven seasons and 110 episodes is nothing to sneeze at for sure. The problem is after 7 years, it is left with a lot of unanswered questions and I really need to know what happens with Sara and Ava’s baby as well as how the get out of the arrest.

Absolutely!!! I was really getting into the groove of the new character finally, and it was finding its footing finally. Having to replace the lead is never going to be easy for any show or feature, and this was a case where they did the best they could, and kept it interesting enough to tune in each week. I would like to see more adventures, but it at least had an ending that resolved most stories and I am not as sad to see it go.

5 Likes

I can echo you word for word here. Wholeheartedly agree on all of the above.

3 Likes

Well the fact the upfronts didn’t announce it would be the last season, and they moved it to the Fall has goot to be a good sign of potentially more seasons if nothing else.

4 Likes

Agree that the fall schedule is a good sign for Stargirl, but I still hate that I have to wait even longer for the next season

3 Likes

Any word yet on when Naomi will be on HBOMAX ?

2 Likes

Nothing yet. Most likely though as HBOMax wants shows. Probably 3 months from it’s finale. Like Batwoman (was it 3 for Batwoman?:thinking:)

1 Like

I was thinking a month, but I didn’t pay close attention.

2 Likes

June 10th

2 Likes

Confirms what @MovieAddict said.

3 Likes