:00_dc_2016: Naomi Season 1 Discussion Thread :00_dc_2016:

And nothing of value was lost

2 Likes

Honestly, it’s for the best. Hopefully, WB will go back to the drawing board and get a much more faithful and way better adaptation. Naomi deserved better than what we got…

3 Likes

And now it’s time to start bracing myself for what feels like the likely cancellation of Stargirl as well…

3 Likes

Stargirl seems to be spared the CW bloodbath for now.

3 Likes

I know it’s still in limbo, but they’ve gotta make a decision on it soon. If there is gonna be a season 4, they’ll need to start it this year, probably as season 3’s airing. It got renewed around this time last year, so I’m sure we’ll get official word 1 way or the other by the end of the month

2 Likes

Considering that the CW axed 5 shows today and not Stargirl, I’m getting the feeling that it will get a least a season 4. I know that they planned it out for 6 seasons

4 Likes

Possibly, but it’s not like those other shows didn’t plan for more seasons as well. I highly doubt they care about what any given show’s writers have planned at this point. It’s all about making the CW look more attractive to a prospective buyer, which apparently entails wiping the slate way more than they ever have before. I just don’t think we can assume anything that hasn’t been renewed this year is safe

3 Likes

Warner Discovery does have an upfront on Wednesday

4 Likes

One thing Stargirl has going for it is that it didn’t start out at the CW. Maybe HBO Max will keep it going if they don’t keep it at the CW. So far, only 1 DC Universe original has been cancelled, and that was before the 2nd episode aired. Here’s hoping…

4 Likes

:neutral_face:

Can’t say I’m surprised either. It just wasn’t very good imho. Having watched this “adaptation” makes me a bit relieved that DuVernay’s New Gods project got cancelled. Would hate for something that big to get a similar treatment.

Nonetheless, now I have this very irrational guilty feeling for expressing my criticisms about the show.

4 Likes

Depends on how you define “start”. If you mean from when the show 1st started coming together, then definitely, but if you mean from when it 1st aired, then technically it did start out as a shared CW show. I do feel like it’d at least be more likely than the others to be saved by HBO Max if the CW axes it, for however much that’s worth

It’s always best to be honest on how you feel about any given project. Besides, even if the CW was taking our comments into account, they would’ve decided this a while back. But I guess that’s why the guilt is irrational :laughing:

6 Likes

It aired on DC Universe Sunday at 11 PM and CW on Tuesday at 7PM making it a 44 hour difference (all times Central).

3 Likes

Alright I just watched this and then I found out it was the series finale after catching up on here. :cry:

I will say it was all well done. Most of it was a big departure from the comics. Naomi’s powers, her parents, Zumbado, Brutus, Akira were all different. Dee was similar but still different because Greg had been changed.

But, ignoring the comics, it was a really good show. I enjoyed the dynamic between Naomi and all her friends. I wish we could have seen more of all of them on their superhero team together but I’ll take their final team up. They are a fun group.

I was really hoping that Greg and Jen would be the ones who betrayed the 29 to Brutus. It being Zumbado or Akira would have been too forced. And to bring in someone new would have been too much information. As much as it hurt for Naomi, I think it was the best decision story wise. (not that it matters now.)

Someone in here mentioned Annabelle calling Naomi ‘Babe’ all the time. I don’t remember who and it’s too far back for me to find and quote. I’m not in high school, but that felt good to me. I know people that just connect strong to other people in platonic ways. I assume that Annabelle was the only one with a consistent boyfriend in the show so that viewers wouldn’t think she and Naomi were a thing, but I didn’t really think her language to Naomi was out of place or anything. It was also consistent all season.

I am curious if the writers will explain on any plans for season 2 now that they have been canceled. I’d love to hear what plans were for Brutus and Dee/Q. And how many powers Naomi was supposed to have because, wow, every time you thought she had enough… :laughing: I’d also like to hear about Jen and Greg and how they would continue in the show after the cliffhanger revelation.

But, all in all, it was a great show. I’m sad to see it go. I started off unsure and ended up loving it.

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed the show and sad for you that it’s cancelled.

I brought up the “babe” thing by the way, and so did @MovieAddict. Don’t think there’s anything “wrong” with it per se. Just not how I’m accustomed to hearing the word used, so it felt out of place, and very repetitive for me.

4 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t think there was anything wrong with it either. It was a bit repetitive but at least it was consistent. And it did feel natural because of that consistency. If she only referred to her as ‘babe’ once or twice every couple episodes it would have been weird. But it was every conversation, so it felt realistic to me. I really enjoyed Annabelle and Naomi’s relationship.

Not sure if that makes sense or not. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Of course it does!

Annabelle and Naomi were cool, so were Zumbado and Dee; would have liked to see some more banter between those two.

3 Likes

Technically, it’s still not a CW show, since it aired on here than went to CW the following night with portions cut throughout the entire 1st season. I’m holding out hope, but being a summer series is a tough sell for any series.

3 Likes

True, that’s definitely a big factor working against it. I never really understood why the CW kept it there. The time of year doesn’t really matter as much for a streaming show so it never stood out in season 1, but I feel like it’s been popular enough for them to justify moving it to the fall lineup. But the stigma of summer shows being less popular might be hard to shake

I’m well aware of when season 1 aired, but the fact that the new episodes were airing w/in 48 hours of each other is close enough to call the season shared between DCU and the CW

4 Likes

Something I completely missed in this article is that they’re actually already looking at ways to save Naomi, possibly on streaming. Of course Legends is the DC show I’d most want to be saved, but at least it’s nice to know this option is still being examined in general. Despite some issues I had w/ this season, I still mostly enjoyed it and would almost certainly keep watching if it got at least 1 more season on a different platform

2 Likes

Yeah definitely wouldn’t mind it getting picked up by something else.

2 Likes