Name a Character You Love

I like a lot of characters, but focusing on characters that I like but who don’t get a lot of attention, I say Phantom Stranger. He isn’t really used to his full potential. I feel like he could be the DC equivalent to Gandalf, but few people like him as much as I do.

4 Likes

Black Mask is a criminally underrated villain. While some would dismiss him as a generic mobster or just “Red Skull with less Nazi and a palette swap,” the truth is that he’s got more than enough personality to make him stand out as an antagonist. His sheer sadism and love of torture alone are enough to place him high in the running for “Most Evil Batman Villain,” but it’s that sleek outfit and dry sense of humor that add more flavor to his character.
That’s not even getting into his portrayals in media. In “The Batman,” he was a certifiable BMF who has access to super-advanced technology and planned out his villainous deeds right down to the second (and James Remar’s acting just makes him even cooler.) In “Under the Red Hood,” Black Mask is easily the most hilarious and memorable character in the film; for those who haven’t seen it, he’s basically J. Jonah Jameson as a crime boss.
Here’s hoping Obi-Wan McGregor does Sionis justice in “Birds of Prey.”

7 Likes

I’m going to nominate the cast of Divine Right: The Adventures of Max Faraday because I adore that series.

It’s the one Jim Lee book that nobody seemingky knows about.

1 Like

@SuperBatDanLantern: Black Mask isn’t all that inspired in concept and he’s been in some bad stories, but he’s always very entertaining in practice, even in those bad stories. I’d definitely like to see him used a little more.

5 Likes

I always liked Tim Drake, but the Red Robin series really makes him AMAZING. He’s got the perfect mix of badass and drama.

5 Likes

If we’re talking about characters we love that are underrated, Tim Drake, Cassandra Cain and pre-New 52 Duela Dent would be the ones for me.

Poor Tim was probably the one Robin who genuinely proved himself worthy of succeeding Bruce as Batman yet was the one Robin who never aspired to it and was Robin for the sake of being Robin. He trained harder than the others, sharpened his mind and in a way, sacrificed what remained of his childhood for the sake of becoming Robin just because he didn’t want Bruce to be alone after Jason died. Then when Damian showed up, it didn’t take long for DC to cast him aside.

Cassandra Cain is interesting because she’s nothing like Barbara Gordon. She was mute for much of her life and communicated only through her own type of sign language which mostly consisted of combat stances. Also, she’s one of DC’s few prominent Asian heroes. She’s probably the best human hand-to-hand fighter in the DC universe and Barbara Gordon herself said she was probably a better Batgirl than she’d ever been. So if they do end up making a Batgirl movie, instead of it being solely focused on Babs, I’d like a movie that has two narratives, one in the past with a younger Barbara as Batgirl and one in the present with an older paralyzed Barbara mentoring Cass as the new Batgirl (and since Cass is being introduced in Birds of Prey, that is a possibility).

Duela Dent, to me, is a fun character simply because of how much of a prankster she is. I loved the mind games she played with Dick Grayson early on and I liked how despite being Joker’s daughter (or Two-Face’s daughter as Dick deduced, which turned out to be false since her age didn’t add up with that theory), she still joined the Teen Titans and was a hero (albeit one dancing on the line at times who ultimately became a criminal in Post-Crisis). I liked the retcon that she was a remnant from Earth-3 and that her parents were Jokester and Evelyn Dent/Three-Face, but I felt it was a bit convoluted and wouldn’t mind a simple retcon that would make her the daughter of Harvey’s twin sister Evelyn and the actual main continuity Joker. I absolutely hated how she was replaced by an insane Joker Fangirl in the New 52 because “Joker’s Daughter” is seriously just a more messed up teen version of Harley and without her origin directly linking her to Joker by blood, the name isn’t quite as powerful.

5 Likes

The funny thing is, he’s not even my favorite character, obviously considering my name.

I still love Superman, and, since I got the app, love him even more.

3 Likes

Bart Allen

Superman. It’s just so awesome to see someone do and aspire to so much.

3 Likes

Just guess based off my username.

4 Likes

He’s inevitable

2 Likes

SUPERMAN! For me, it started with The Adventures of Superman TV show, then the great Silver Age comics and reaching its peak when Christopher Reeve gave life to The Man of Steel on the big screen. The strange visitor who came to the earth with more compassion and empathy than ordinary mortals. The symbol of hope. The symbol of the American Way. The man who is always there to help. What a man! What a hero!

6 Likes

Darkseid, without a doubt.

He is beyond petty ideas like morality, good or evil. Which I also philosophically concur with. Darkseid is not good or evil, Darkseid is simply Darkseid. Deal with it or get some therapy heroes and villains.

3 Likes

@desade darkseid is neccessary, he is entropy, he is death. ALL HAIL DARKSEID.

2 Likes

Look LEX, we’re all trying to ignore the user who every day is posting a different picture of a child but if he isn’t even your favorite character and yet it’s him you’re posting about on the "character you love " thread . . . you’re either lying to yourself or he’s shitty even to his fans :stuck_out_tongue: Nothin’ about this is healthy Lexy.

@DGWWTFGTFOLMAO nothing about me is healthy. And a pic will come every day, Luthor’s do get possessive.

As hilariously immature as this is, it’s keeping the thread active, so I’m happy.

2 Likes

I hear you BatJamags. Lex, apparently Luthors can’t “do” possessive grammar though.

I find Roy Harper’s story inspiring.

5 Likes