My opinion on the DC 5G rumor

@NathanPayson

That is a great theory

A Win Win for everyone.

We keep our beloved characters while gaining new ones.

I don’t think DC Management is smart enough for this compromise. But we as members of DC Universe should push it.

3 Likes

@Nathan

I was just talking to my local comic store last night that this is exactly what I hope happens.

I would love

A Generation One book on Wonder Woman with a backup of one of the original eight JSA members, then the JSA book with Diana as leader.

A Generation 2 World Finest with young Batman and Superman, teaming up with a to be JLA member every third issue

A Generation 3 book with the JLI.

Generation 4 are the current books.

1 Like

Going with this new theory (which I really hope turns out to be true) there could finally be a series for all four Flashes. G1 would have Jay (his first series since the 40’s) G2 would have Barry, G3/G4 would have Wally (although I’m sure they’d have the G4 be Barry) and then G5 could be Bart, or maybe someone else. Now that would be schway!

But… what generation would the Legion be? G100?

2 Likes

The multiple books per Generation is my theory also. I would like to see Gen 1-3 have 2 or 3 100 page anthologies then maybe some DC Universe digital exclusives. Gen 4 and 5 would be similar to today’s setup with maybe some OGNs thrown in.

1 Like

The new theory is interesting but DC can’t maintain continuity now when everyone is already on the same page. The incredible amount of paradoxes in the stories may be so significant that they actually have repercussions in our real universe.

2 Likes

I am all for a reboot because the current state of the main line is terrible. I am not even against the idea of Jon as Superman or Luke Batman. What I am against is the same creative teams doing the same thing they are doing now. Bendis Superman has been the drizzling shits and King has done some incredible damage to Batman. Aquaman went nowhere and Ric Grayson is bleeding goodwill like a geyser. Unless they can get actually good writers, this whole 5G thing might just be the nail in the coffin
I hope not, but after they drained whatever goodwill they built up with rebirth, I am not holding my breath

2 Likes

Aquaman rebirth is awesome! Both runs are.

I think King is great, and with the exception of Grayson, he’s done more good then harm. A single bad story does not equal harm to the franchise.

Bendis Superman is a weird mix of great stories in Action Comics and bad ones in Superman. Maybe this upcoming arc will solve that?

2 Likes

I’m all good with Luke as Batman, as long as it’s not a permanent thing. You can’t beat Bruce.

I’m ok with the theory that the 5g is a mythical 10-15 years in the future & keeps sliding forwards as we go.

As long as we get the main heroes in their books I’m fine with whatever other stuff they want to do in a smaller 5g line or even a monthly anothology 5g book.

However, If they try to pull a PCU like marvel did & replace all their main characters I’m out until the OG’s are back. I did the same thing with marvel. Replacing characters never works, adding is a much better idea.

Hopefully someone at dc pays attention to their fans & does this instead of flying the plane into a mountain like marvel did.

1 Like

While I think it would be awesome to have a slightly older Jonathan Superman arc and seeing Luke Fox take a swing as the Dark Knight, I think politics should stay out of comics. They are one of the few special places where we don’t have to deal with reality. They are a much needed resting place where we can connect to things that we grew up with. I love new angles and I enjoy having characters being realistic, but I don’t want to see a full story of the flash advocating for a cause that I may or may not care about in an attempt to reel in cash or viewers for political reasons (not describing a specific instance just an example). With the world being so split apart by politics, I think this is one of the few areas where a bunch of geeks (mean that in the best possible way) can relate to fictional stories in a real way. We don’t need more barriers that divide us, we just want to watch our favorite heroes evolve in a place that isn’t heavily politicized.

1 Like

@MyPasswordisUsername

Comics have a strong history of being political. Some of DC’s best runs are political in nature, starting all the way back when Superman first appeared.

I don’t think it is realistic for comics to stay away from contemporary issues, many of which are political in nature.

What I don’t like is when any form of medium takes a stance, then lectures or portrays anyone on the opposite side of the spectrum as caricatures. Those kinds of portrayals only reinforce stereotypes and don’t shift the needle of the debate. But a good thought provoking political discussion can be productive. We just seem to be losing the ability to do that as a society.

3 Likes