My Opinion On 10 Year Plan and New DC Movies!

And it’s a shame that actually might be the projection for the cinematic universe to have a proper league because those years could have been used to establish their legacy characters like Wally West flash, Nightwing, Johnathan Kent superboy, and Donna Troy.

2 Likes

@Samsonkillingtime

Hopefully that’s what they plan to do and we will see that in the future.

It’s kinda complicated with the current DCEU because it seemed that previously they were focusing on this multiverse concept of continuity where these separate film universes were going to eventually going to be connected either in a single earth or just aware of their presence.

Yep, the whole Multiverse thing was when I guess they were still going to try and salvage the Zack Snyder stuff.

But of course doing that leaves you with no Batman and no Superman – Ben Affleck doesn’t want to be the Batman anymore, and they were going to totally erase the existence of the Henry Cavill Superman in The Flash movie and go with the Sasha Calle Supergirl.

So I guess the new guys are, “Yeah, we’re not doing that. We’re not doing the Multiverse thing.”

Hence the killing of the Batgirl movie – which from all indications looked as though it was going to combine the Zack Snyder universe with the Tim Burton universe (or at least bring in the Michael Keaton Batman; and I guess The Flash was going to explain all of that)…

And I guess David Zaslav and his group are like, “Hell no we’re not doing that.” :smile:

I don’t know… yeah, whatever they’re going to do it’s going to fit. Like I say, anyone with a functioning brain can make it fit – create a connected universe.

The only trick is what’s going to be the story.

As to this…

And it’s a shame that actually might be the projection for the cinematic universe to have a proper league because those years could have been used to establish their legacy characters like Wally West flash, Nightwing, Johnathan Kent superboy, and Donna Troy.

Yeah, I would be truly surprised if they go that deep.

Marvel goes that deep because super-heroes is all that they do, and they have no other choice in the matter but to go deep.

Warner Bros. is not like that, and I don’t get the sense that David Zaslav is going to change much of anything on that front either.

No, just the big guns are what they’re doing. I don’t believe he even talked about DC until asked about it in the Q&A during the earnings report.

So the big guns for the main movies, and the odd Joker: Folie à Deux -type things (and maybe the Ta-Nehisi Coates Black Superman) as vanity projects and side things – the kind of things that can win Oscars and that they can brag about at the Hollywood parties.

1 Like

Because they had to. They had sold the rights to those characters to Sony and FOX, respectively. I don’t believe for a second that had Marvel owned the rights to those characters they’d have decided to build a film franchise around Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hulk and Thor.

Now that they have those characters back they are building their world around those characters - rightfully so.

We’re here on a DC Community forum because we love DC comics and we get into the depths of it. The majority of moviegoers do not and they want to see Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, the Flash (thanks to the TV show and his inclusion in recent projects) and Aquaman. Any DC franchise going forward needs to include those characters in a primary role - whether it’s TV, movies or comics.

That’s not to say there isn’t a place for the smaller characters. Peacemaker was a great show on HBO Max. Doom Patrol, same thing. Titans was a nice show without leaning too much into the Batman connection. It can be done, especially on TV. In movies we saw Shazam! be successful, The Suicide Squad was successful and I think Black Adam will be successful. It can be done but as supplements to the larger universe that includes the tentpoles (Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, etc.)

I put this on Twitter but I’ll repeat it here:
Here were the last 6 Marvel movies before Kevin Feige took over:

• Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
  • Spider-Man 3
  • Ghost Rider
  • X-Men: The Last Stand
  • Fantastic Four
  • Elektra

Those all stunk. Marvel had no momentum at all but built something incredible starting with Iron Man. Now let’s look at the last six movies for DC before Dan Lin takes over (reportedly):

• Shazam!
  • Joker
  • Birds of Prey
  • Wonder Woman 1984
  • The Suicide Squad
  • The Batman

Pretty solid. If we include the movies that are in post-production you have:

• Black Adam
  • Shazam! Fury of the Gods
  • The Flash
  • Blue Beetle
  • Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

DC is starting from a much better position as Dan Lin takes over. Let’s see what he does. In my opinion as long as the story is good and the film is well made it doesn’t matter who the main character is - it’ll succeed. But I get where the new executives are coming from that they want to build around the three big characters in DC and as @ds090ddsl pointed out they listed each character (Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman) as its own Franchise in their presentation to share holders - each one on equal footing with Game of Thrones and Harry Potter - which tells me they intend to build out a universe for all three characters and their supporting casts.

2 Likes

Some of that never made sense to me, I guess they did some of the more popular characters because Marvel needed the money. But to me what I probably would’ve done was decided if I’m going to be using mutants I would sell the normal characters off to make some money. If I would be using more of the normal characters then I would’ve sold off mutants. This is why I like DC a lot better, DC is 100% or I would say a lot more about good and evil and maybe aliens. Where marvel tends to be more a racial war against mutants and humans first with a backdrop of good and evil. That’s why I always prefer DC I always preferred the simple good versus evil.

1 Like

And that benefited them. Instead of being criticized for making something too different from the fan preferred versions they got to make the the definitive adaptation of them.

From the people I have talked with outside of the internet many of them want to see DC work with the other heroes than them, and it should be noted Aquaman is still DC’s highest grossing film, and Batman V. Superman drastically underperformed.

I think everybody just forgot FF2 (I still have never seen or wanted to see an FF movie). Spider-Man 3 has always been a loved meme sensation. X-Men 3 is what I call the best movie is a lackluster franchise where I saw 4 movies. When I was in elementary in middle school it is the only one anybody talked about since it has many great scenes that are just connected badly. Then nobody talked about any of them in high school but it either. Granted in college people were praising DoFP and Deadpool.

By fan reaction that is 4.5/6 so very good. 2 of the 4.5 are me or my characters. Another is a well known guy who never got a movie before, so this is going to be the most well known adaptation. The Suicide Squad meanwhile is about some guys most people never heard of. The half is about a very popular one of my supporting characters. Then a film about a trinity member was the clear failure. That means trinity movies are 1/2 and trinity related character movies are 2.5/4. On the other hand lesser characters are 2/2.

Basing this financially is hard to tell due to the pandemic. Birds of Prey is likely the only financial failure, which focuses on one of my related characters making trinity 3/4, and I guess non trinity around 1.5/2.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest I haven’t seen Batman (Patterson) outside of catching a few little clips by accident while changing the channel on HBO I normally change it really fast because I want to watch it from beginning to end. I have a question about Batman (Patterson). Do you think you didn’t do that great because people still weren’t going to the movies and more streaming because of COVID-19 and that’s why it didn’t hit the high numbers of Aquaman. Or do you think if it came out around Aquaman’s movie time it still would’ve not done as well as Aquaman ?

2 Likes

I made 34 million more domestically, and in a less theater driven culture than we were then, so the reason is international markets. I also beat him handily in the UK. Otherwise our European and Latin American numbers are similar with him beating me slightly.

His higher gross is without a doubt due the Asian and Oceania earnings, as Aquaman was a huge hit compared to me in China, Japan, South Korea, and he made good money in many countries in the area that are normally low on ticket sales. Aquaman is apparently loved by the Asian countries.

My sources are the international pages for the movies on Box Office Mojo.

1 Like

The X-men films was the most Bi-polar movie francise. The films were always considered really bad or really good with nothing in between

2 Likes

Agreed.

Sooo good!

Amen. :raised_hands:

Agreed.

Agreed again. The GL Corp needs another bite at the apple. Plus this is a fantastic opportunity to get some spotlight on Jess.

I agree @moro but they’re really in danger of suffering the effects of over saturation. And not just in the DCEU- there’s over thirty B’Man titles at the LCS right now. :flushed: B’Man is totally losing his edge story engagement wise and has essentially been commoditized. It’s too much, and now the same thing is beginning to happen with Diana and Kal. I would truly hate to see them suffer readership and movie goer engagement wise if this bubble bursts. I don’t want to see them go away entirely- no ne does. But the addage ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ kinda’ applies here- Just space their movies/live action appearances out a bit. And OMG cut some of those B’Man titles back. :eyes:

This^^^. YES. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes. :+1:

1 Like

It’s been a bit since I posted that comment. The discussion was DCEU centric, from what I recall. In any case, I don’t think what we’re saying is all that different. What I was trying to say was give me the Trinity, which no lie is what I primarily want, and give us other DC characters. I’ll support both, always have. That definitely allows for the spacing out that you mentioned. Again, I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive.

2 Likes

:smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Robin is now going to respond to all your old comments for maximum confusion.

2 Likes

Hey, the Girl Wonder is always welcome to engage in conversation, old or new!

2 Likes

You have a beautiful chin, Bibbo.

2 Likes

Thanks Robin! So does your boss :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

I think people are kind of tired of the legacy heroes I know flash, Green Lantern, wonder woman and Aquaman may have not gotten much with their movie and cyborg only with TV shows but I think it was smart to do the suicide squad and black Adam. They need to leave those heroes alone for a little while and explore some of the other DC characters even though they’re not they’re heavy hitters and give some time for people to forget a little and want them to “ really“ want them to come back, people are tired of hearing their origins and you really kinda have to do an origin story or an origin flashback which takes some time in the movie that people have already heard tons of times whether through movies, cartoons, TV shows or comics.

1 Like

Sorry I’ve been away for a while, I may have posted to an old post.

1 Like

Nope, Robin messed with your calendar.

1 Like

:smile:

2 Likes