My Journey Into No Man's Land

I’ve been around DC Universe since September of 2018, with so many comics and great storylines, I’ve been wanting to read No Man’s Land storyline. But never did for a few reasons.
When DC Universe first started, there was a controversy idea of having some comics being rotated, here on DC Universe and disappeared for a few month before coming back, that pretty much hurt any chances for me to read any storyline, first storyline I read was The death to return of Superman, :thinking: Don’t think I finish it, since that was pretty much my own fault. Then I’ve read Death In Family, Knightfall series, and finally Bruce Wayne: Fugitive, (never did finish that one also, my bad.)
Second, I’ve been watching alot of videos whether it was DC Universe, HBO Max or Disney plus.
3rd, there was so many comics that I wanted to read.

So here we go, I remember first hearing about this comic years ago and always wanted to read it, and now knowing no comics will disappeared, there’s 88 issues in the series and I hope that there’s no comic missing.
So I’ll be reading the first issue right now, and share my journey as a journal into this storyline, I can’t wait to read it and share you my reading adventures.:smiley:

Reaganfan78

:batman:

12 Likes

Ok, I finished reading the first comic in the series, so the story take place 3 month after the earthquake, Batman is missing and Gotham is pretty much a useless city with everyone seem to own a turf…

Glad that Barbara Gordon is writing about this, to keep us readers up to speed on what happened, Gotham is on lockdown (sound familiar) with nothing going in or out. And people are fighting for food.
It’s great to see Scarface & The Penguin, as for all the other criminals from Arkham, they’ve been released from the Asylum.
By the end of the comic, there may be a bit of hope.

When reading this comic, I was thinking, this would’ve definitely make a great videogame of fighting to gain and defend your turf in Gotham!
It’s off to a good start. :grinning:

7 Likes

Are you enjoying it so far? Some of this storyline was laid as the groundwork for The Dark Knight Rises screenplay.

7 Likes

It also served as a backdrop for the Harley Quinn Animated Series Sn 2.

7 Likes

I’m reading the second story right now, I’m really enjoying it so far, now that you have mentioned it, I can see some of it as part of The Dark Knight Rises.:grinning:

7 Likes

Oh boy. @TheBatgirlofNML is going to lose his mind when he sees this.

5 Likes

Just finish reading part 2, this storyline came out before Batman Begins, so I have to say it was great to see how big of a role Commissioner James Gordon has. It’s great to see him take action.
Love the beginning where a guy tell Barbara Gordon that Batman has return, but she doesn’t seem sure, can’t blame her for that. Anyway love this picture shot, warning spoiler alert!

This really took me by surprise, that I actually forgot she’s on a front cover!

Anyway, it was a great comic, and a Batman’s Arch Nemesis makes a cameo appearance, something tells me we’ll be seeing alot more of him soon.
Will be reading part 3, later.:grinning:

:batman:

7 Likes

DC :point_up: it’s not just me.

1. my pronouns have been all over the place since the username change. I love the chaos.

2. consider it lost!

Thrilled out of my mind! Should be 86 issues? Not sure off the top of my head where they could be getting the other two. Glad that you are liking it! I’m setting this thread to watching so I can watch the whole journey! Hope it continues to be fun for you!

6 Likes

I actually haven’t read this yet either. 88 issues, ouch! Hmmm maybe now would be a good time. I’ll probably be a few issues behind you but I’ll try to join the discussion as well!

7 Likes

Now would be a great time! And that is 88 issues of the greatest story ever got the record.

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @Cradle2theGabe, I’ll try my best not to spoil things as I read through, I’m probably going to read at least 2 issues per day. :grinning:

6 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, No Man’s Land is the best of the '90s mega-crossovers in the Batman line.

Sure, Knightfall was great and the less said about Contagion the better, but No Man’s Land…that was the apex of the Bat-epics of the time, as it took everything great about them and raised the bar for Bat-crossovers in ways seldom seen before or since in the Batman line.

@Reaganfan78 Will you eventually circle back to Cataclysm after you’ve finished NML?

5 Likes

I’m not sure yet, haven’t thought of it. :slightly_smiling_face: I’ll play it by ears.

5 Likes

I was up early in the middle of the night and decided to read part 3.
Commissioner Gordon found a way to start a war between two gangs, in hope to take over a territory.
As much as it’s a fictional story, this seem like a real life events, like when some city defund the police, crimes goes up. But let’s not go there.
I really like this panel of Bullock defending Gordon…

Reading these comic are like watching a movie, usually I get annoyed by narration in comics, but this time with Barbara Gordon doing the narration, it makes the story more interesting.
Now the spoiler Alert…

He’s back! Batman is finally back!

I had no idea the man who was in disguise was actually Alfred, and Batman came to his rescue. Barbara was happy to hear he’s back. Also I was suprise to learn in this issue, it was the first time he meet Cassandra Cain Batgirl. Now it look like they’ll be working together. :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking forward to reading part 4, look like I’m off to a great start, Thankyou so much everybody for the likes and comments, looking forward to see how far the story of No Man’s Land will go, will Commissioner Gordon ever will get Gotham City back to normal?:slightly_smiling_face:

:00_batman_1986:

6 Likes

I finished reading part 4 of No Man’s Land, I really enjoy this alot, this time Batman is a narrator and he’s going after Scarface territory. I think @MatthewHecht would love this panel…

Talk about twisting his arm! Great to see Batman back in action, can’t wait to see his interaction with Gordon.
Speaking of Gordon, I’ve kind of wish they did more scene between Barbara and Batman, with her questioning him on his where about for the last 3 month.
But in comic world, you’ve got to move on. I’ll be reading part 5 either later today or tomorrow. :slightly_smiling_face:
This is only a beginning for Batman.

:00_batman_1986:

6 Likes

Must not spoil!

NML award of all around coolness to anyone who knows what is bothering me.

4 Likes

I don’t know what went wrong, I did try to cover the picture, but for some reason it won’t be cover. I had been dealing with it for more then 10 minutes trying to make it blur, so I do apologize for the spoiler.:slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Ah, sorry no. You said something somewhere above that led me to want to go off on a rant about how great NML gets and I was telling myself not to spoil. I should have been more clear.

4 Likes

Fun fact about NML - when it was first announced it got KILLED on the internet. People absolutely hated the idea. Editorial though I think correctly realized that the line had become stale and needed a shakeup. The transition wasn’t handled well, with Dixon, Moench & Grant all being “fired” by fax (and Moench immediately walking off Batman), but the result was a strong storyline that felt immediately different from what had come before.

NML sags in the middle as you can tell they’re marking time, but the first 1/3 and last 1/3 are terrific.

5 Likes

Cool, Thankyou for the interesting trivia, I had no idea it was hated at the time.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes