My Handmade Green Lantern Ring

Made this a couple of years ago with help from a grandpa and uncle. (Would you believe this was originally a stainless steel nut?)
The designs normally done are usually a horseshoe or heart, but I didn’t feel that “fit” me. This was about the time I was getting more into superheroes and GL stuck out to me.
Got the logo done and decided to visit my old high school art teacher, I remember he did some metal and jewelry work. And he had a great piece of green turquoise I could use.
Figured it’d be nice to share on here:

37 Likes

That’s pretty dang good. If I say so myself. That takes a lot of skill. Is it comfortable to wear?

7 Likes

all i could think of. that is so cool!

7 Likes

It was kind of nice to “cheat” by using a nut in the first place. Basically the ring is already made, mainly just had to focus on sanding down the edges and smoothing the inner threads. A ring sizer is very helpful.
The logo was probably the hardest, and is what I got help with the most. The basic outline was easy, (basically two long bars on top and bottom with a smaller square in the middle of them) along with drilling out a center. Had to use a hand Dremel to “round out” the center part.
Fits comfortably!

6 Likes

very cool!

4 Likes

that’s awesome! i bet it’s really satisfying to hold and wear, too.

(thanks for sharing the link in the wal, @CynicalPink!)

5 Likes

That’s so cool I’d wear it everywhere.

3 Likes

This is absolutely incredible, @LDFM! :open_mouth: I can’t even imagine how much skill it’d take to make a ring like this.

3 Likes

Very awesome

3 Likes

This is pretty awesome. I imagine this must have taken quite the craftsmanship to get it as a perfect fit. The logo is really well done - and the gem is the perfect match for it.

3 Likes

Quality work there! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@LDFM very nice craftsmanship! Looks like it took a lot of detailed work to make.
Do the Guardians of the Universe know about this?

4 Likes

Wow, @LDFM! That is an awesome piece! I love how you’ve chosen to leave the metal “bare” giving it a pared down, organic feel. It really shows off the design and attention to detail. Thank you for sharing with the community! Please pass along compliments to your grandpa and uncle as well - such a beautiful group project. :blush:

Do you have any photos of going through the process? How did you attach everything - individual pieces welded together?

4 Likes

Do Lantern rings need to be registered? Do I need a license or permit to operate and carry?

I mean, I’m still trying to figure out how to charge it…

5 Likes

There was no welding involved actually! I do have access to the equipment still. Give me some time and I can probably throw together some pics/sketches to give a better idea on how this was done.

3 Likes

Fantastic! I look forward to seeing them!

3 Likes

Did you miss the disclaimer (No lanterns included)?
I would check with your local GRA (Guardian Ring Association) as they would have the list of Oan laws you need to follow such as registration.

3 Likes

@KeyFamily (and anyone else interested)
No pictures of the machinery and tools we used (don’t have easy access to them like I thought), but I have whipped up this in order to maybe give you an idea of how this was made.
I have added the names of the equipment, you can image search those on the interwebz to see what they are, and I think that was the order we used them in also.
Lots of fast spinning, sharp objects. (Don’t try this at home, have supervision, etc.)

If there are any other questions or anything, I’ll try to answer the best that I can.

6 Likes

Ask and you shall receive! :grinning:

Color coded and all! I’m blown away by this little diagram, @LDFM! Thank you for whipping it up to share your process! It looks like each step is simple, but because of the simplicity it must be done exactly right. You nailed it!

4 Likes

I worked at machine shops so long as soon as I saw the word “Lathe” I wanted to run.

2 Likes