My gripes with Larry on Doom Patrol

Okay, so we had a bunch of episodes focused on Larry’s relationship with John Bowers, but what about his family? It’s all well and good that he came to terms with his feelings for John, but he that doesn’t excuse the fact that he more or less abandoned his kids and cheated on and lied to his his wife. I don’t think him being gay and owning it decades later excuses how harmful his behavior was to other people. Cliff tried to reconcile with his wife, who he also cheated on, before the accident and most of his story is focused on how much he loves and misses his daughter. Larry is more interested in the person he had an affair with, not very noble.
In fact, why isn’t Larry more sympathetic to Robotman and how much he misses his daughter? He should understand his pain more than any of the other characters due to similar backstories but he’s mostly uninvolved.

Rita and Vic have gone out of their way to lend emotional support or constructive criticism to Cliff and Cliff has helped out Jane a lot. They really feel like a team. Larry on the other hand only seems begrudgingly helpful. The spirit within him has stepped up a few times, but Larry himself mostly just complains. He’s kind of a jerk. Jane’s a jerk most of the time too, but at least she’s more involved in searching for Dr. Caulder. She also has the excuse that she’s got 64 different personalities. It’s also worth noting that Cliff has been actively involved in trying to help Jane get out of her rut by going through the underground and what not. Larry’s personal problems on the other hand have all been internal. It’s weird, his character development has been a major focus of the show but none of his teammates really had anything to do with him reconnecting with John or coming to terms with his sexuality. At the end of the day, was any of that stuff about Larry’s love life actually relevant?

7 Likes

It was important, it’s the only part of his life that made him feel normal, feel happy, so yes it’s important. The stuff about his family will most likely come in a later episode, most likely with Cliff reconnecting with his daughter.

3 Likes

Very good points.

4 Likes

From the writers perspective. The goal of the first season is for Larry to come out and truly accept who he is. That’s first and foremost the goal of dp season 1. For cliff it’s Clara. For Rita it’s being more heroic. Season 2 will focus on other stuff if it happens.

Alot of Larry’s jerkiness comes from him being miserable. Plain and simple

3 Likes

As a gay man, here is my major thought on Larry’s story: it’s about him being honest with himself. The interesting thing about coming out and having a “straight” family is that someone does inadvertently get hurt. If Larry decides to stay with his wife and children, he’s dishonest with himself, and secretly them. He’ll stay living a life that is empty because that is truly not him. He loves his wife and his children, but he’s not honest with himself, nor with them. However, it’s through an act of infidelity that Larry finds who he is, his truth, and his true love.

I’ve seen many people get angry with the homosexual because they think that person is being selfish or putting lustful acts before their family. When in all honesty, they’re just being who they are. Some people view this being as “dishonest, deceitful, and deplorable”. This is why Larry’s story with John is so important and not, strictly, his family; because it shows Larry being honest with himself and accepting of himself.

5 Likes

That’s a cop out. Gay or not, a father who’s a decent person should express some feelings about never seeing his children again. So far there’s no indication that he cares about them at all, their names haven’t even been said in the show. I can sympathize with him not wanting to be married to somebody he isn’t attracted to but I don’t think there is a good excuse for his indifference to his own flesh and blood.

6 Likes

His children think he’s dead. They are in their early 60s now. He’s just seen jon as he’s nearly dead.

1 Like

Clara thinks Cliff is dead too. But he still took the initiative to see her. He hasn’t revealed to her who he actually is, but he killed a giant alligator to retrieve the watch she gave to her foster father, who he hated, just to make her happy. He may have been a coke snorting cheater scumbag before his accident, but he’s demonstrated that he still cares for his daughter despite being too scared to reveal the painful truth about who he is.

Larry on the other hand wasn’t under the false impression that his children were dead, like Cliff was, and yet he still hasn’t even attempted to make any contact with them. He’s without question a less sympathetic character.

4 Likes

I’ll sympathize with Larry and understand that the writers are only focusing on one aspect of his past this season.

I’ll sympathize with Larry and understand that the writers are only focusing on one aspect of his past this season.

Sorry for the multiple posts. Was not posting at the moment. In addition, kinda surprising DC Universe hasn’t provided the option to edit or delete posts.

3 Likes

@nicktews2046 Those features have been confirmed to be coming with the Community 2.0 update that’s coming out this summer.

Like Mr Nobody said

Now that each character has come to grips with their own inner demons we finally get to see a show about super heros!

“BOO YAH!” :grin:

I like all of them to varying extents, but I think Rita and Cliff are the best and had better character growth. Jane is still the same after the underground arc, and Larry is making progress though his family should be addressed next season

1 Like

I’m just glad after 13 episodes Larry’s done being a total defeatist.

1 Like