My Etrigan Sequential Art

That looks awesome. Great work!

4 Likes

This is some insane pencil work! Totally love it!

4 Likes

Thank you @YoYoFroYo, @Nachtwing, @Nok, & @Kato97 for your comments. Also Kato welcome to the community.

5 Likes

Really nice technique.
There’s a couple things you could improve on, but awesome!

4 Likes

Dude your art style is amazing.

4 Likes

That’s so rad! So much detail

3 Likes

I’m late. That’s incredible. Beautiful work!!!

2 Likes

Thanks @capo-mage, @Hinesypoo, @rgilb69.70820, & @Lightningmax still getting back in the swing of things. Haven’t made any sequential pieces in like 12 years so a little rusty, trying to put my portfolio together.

1 Like

It’s really incredible. Great work.

1 Like

If you like I can help you with the issues I
noticed.

1 Like

Woaaaaah! You never cease to amaze!

1 Like

If you can help me that would be awesome. I haven’t had any training or anybody show me anything or any schooling of any kind just love comic books and have been drawing since I was little. Any advice from technique to pencil control , anything that you think would help me become better. Also I saw your sequential piece , have you done any professional work for any comic publisher, just wondering?

Awesome artwork!

Your technique is awesome. Your ideals about shadows and light are on point, just needs a little tweeking.

I think the best way to begin is saying that there are no wrong ways to draw a page, but there are better ways to draw a page.

We’ll start with the basic – that Etrigan pose is awesome. Great sense of size and power. Catman’s pose is great! Responsive leaping out of the way… Ventriloquist could have a better pose, her face should be in the image.

He appears to be about 12 feet in height. His head is about twice the size of Catman’s. That’s one way of measuring height is head size.

I use the eight head measurement for a figure. 12/8 = 1.5

So for me that would mean when he squats he would be about 7.875 feet.

I’m not seeing the horizon line. So I’ll project from the smoke trail. The angle of the smoke and the position of the Ventriloquist implies a high horizon line.

Etrigan Shadow work

Strong light sources need strong shadows. I know that’s where you lose the fun of drawing textures and details, but sometimes the story demands it!

Arrange images so light is next to deep shadow.

I’m not good at faking things, so I design and plan, that’s why I’m serious about using photo reference because every phone has a camera (some with a timer), so when I want to get some fancy wrinkles. I might grab a towel and drape it over a chair or on myself.

Be cautious about putting two textures on top of each other – a couple places the scales and flames got lost in each other.

Etrigan Adjustment

Bring in Ventriloquist

Shift Etrigan off center

Enlarge CM move upward

Etrigan CM and V zneill Comp

I lowered the whole image, used a horizon line to place the figures. I turned Catman around so the reader could see his face (not sure if he’s recognizable out of costume). Drew the whole image of the Ventriloquist placed her on the right side of the panel – we’re trying to lead the readers eyes out the lower right corner. Etrigan head >to his shoulder> Catman right knee> Catman left knee>Ventrilogist head, Etrigan arms point lower right>Dummy head. It’s the sublteties

Storytelling in art means giving the reader everything that they need to see the story. Who is on the page? Where is the incident taking place?

The melting of the car should be more visible, less like dripping water more like ten pounds of metal flowing.

So the final thing is that there are better ways to convey the information.

1 Like

@Lightningmax I understand what you are saying but I didn’t sketch this piece I made it like a printer prints. On my own pieces I sketch to get the start of the pose and the proportions as close to accurate as I possibly can.

When I recreate a piece that has been made and I’m just duplicating it I don’t sketch it I just draw it as I see it with all details included from the start, top to bottom and sometimes the proportion get a little wonky :joy:

Great work! You are very talented!

1 Like

Cool. :grinning: The secret to learning from other artists is knowing how to take apart the pieces and find what they’ve done right and done wrong. :thinking:
Now that I’ve taken it apart, can you apply the points I made or the things you learned to a new version of the piece?

1 Like

Thank you @Lightningmax, I feel that with this piece if I went to recreate it, especially if I did my own take on the demon Etirgan, it would come out better than the first version. Also I would sketch it out and get the layout of the scene before darkening any in, but all the sequential pieces that I have recreated, from existing art, I didn’t sketch any of them .

I think this is the coolest Etrigan drawing I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Thank you @Crimson_Soldier & @TheDankKnight1939. @Lightningmax I’m srry I misread your post a little, I thought you were referring to my proportions but you were referring too the placement of the characters themselves. I didn’t choose the placement of the characters. That scene was in a real comic book exactly how it looks on my board. In the comic page ventriloquist face isn’t visible and catman has his back towards the audience. I don’t know if the penciller made ventriloquist with a face and it got cut off because of sizing issues. I do agree about ventriloquist face being visible but with catman I feel the penciller turned him to save time .

1 Like

That is beyond shway! My hand aches just looking at this! Phenomenal rendering! Well done! Keep up the good work!

2 Likes