My Comic Collection - The Sorting!

Definitely something to keep in mind when I start buying again!

4 Likes

Not a lot of sorting done this weekend, and I’m still in the G’s and will be starting Green Lantern next…the counts are now 704 separate titles, and a total count is now 5932.

4 Likes

Slow tv night, so I decided to get some more sorting done.

I am now finished with the G’s, and the updated count is 766 titles and 6639 individual issues. Phew!

4 Likes

Sounds like you have an awesome collection. Have fun sotmg. I always enjoy reorganizing and sorting my collection, it’s kind of relaxing.

4 Likes

I have been enjoying it! It’s helped to reconnect me to my collection again, which I think I needed after a little over a year of not buying anything new. I can’t wait to finish with this and then get back to reading some of my old favorites again and filling in some missing gaps.

4 Likes

Latest update! I have finished through H, I, and J up to the beginning of JLA. Since I know that will take a while, I decided to pause for a bit. The numbers up to date are…840 titles and 7228 individual issues!

6 Likes

I went through the exact same process about 8 years ago. Same-ish age and collection size. This was spread out over several months as a 1 day per weekend job and it was a lot of work.

Every book received a new bag and board. If the book was cover priced at a dollar or less, then it would be done with a fullback and mylite2. I think that this ended up taking course over about 2-3 months, 1day per week. The hardest part was getting enough supplies through my LCS as needed.

CLZ is great!

The actual sorting took about 5 total days. The bulk of sorting was done over 2 days with help from 2 buddies. We took a bucket sort approach where we sorted each box on its own, followed by a sorted merge of the boxes. I also went from long boxes to short boxes at this point, to save my back.

Data entry wasn’t too bad but it did take a while. The app has experienced some nice entry updates since then, so it would have been faster now.

This was then followed by grading and guiding so that I knew what I actually had.

My wife (unexpectedly tolerant towards the collection) and I, also took the time to re-evaluate what the collection should be overall. Originally, the collection was just a big overall sprawl. She wanted it to be a cleanly focused collection that could easily be sent off to an auction house once I die before she does. All in all, I ended up selling 17 long boxes. That money was then refocused on higher grade dc silver and golden age batman books. The purge part was actually hard to do the first time. Since then it’s become an every 2 year habit.

Right now, it’s officially at ~7266 books, plus 5-6 short boxes that need to be catalogued.

Overall, it was actually fun and nostalgic. Good luck!

7 Likes

Welcome back @tobias1482.58683! Super impressed with that organization process, must be a lot of effort for sure, but always well worth it in my opinion!

5 Likes

Wow! Good to know what kind of things I have to look forward to as I continue. The beginning part of the process was much like yours. I had a friend come over and help sort individual boxes before I started the full integration. I know that when I finish I’ll be concentrating on filling in runs that I want to complete. I will still need to bag and board them all, but figured that will be a separate project. Definitely something I need to do though! Haven’t figured out if I’ll do any kind of a purge yet, but I might. I have not switched to short boxes, but might have to do that at some point too…those long boxes are DARN heavy!

It definitely feels good reconnecting with my collection again.

4 Likes

Been a while since my last post, but I JUST finished the J’s. And wow was that a lot of books… :slight_smile: The brand new total is…973 individual titles, and 8528 individual issues!! When I get to the K’s, I don’t think it will take too long, but I know it’ll ramp back up again when I hit the M’s and N’s.

5 Likes

Time for another update! I have now completed everything through O, and the current totals are…1184 individual titles, and 9941 single issues! Gotta admit, I’m kinda dreading getting to S. That’s gonna be a beast!

5 Likes

Holy short boxes, Batman! I just got into collecting floppies but really buy mostly TPBs, HCs, etc. I only have one shortbox that I’m gonna use for limited series only.

6 Likes

I’m unfortunately storing all of mine in long boxes…and there are 41 of them. LOL Been collecting for more than 40 years, so I’ve amassed quite a collection, and haven’t taken the time to do this kind of inventory of them for way too long. But welcome to floppies!

6 Likes

I regret it already!

6 Likes

This is why we haven’t started collecting Funko Pops!

6 Likes

It has been a while…got busy and fell behind and wasn’t able to do much sorting. However, I got a LOT done this weekend. I am now completely done through S! 1484 individual titles and 12,469 single issues! After the T’s, it should be fairly smooth sailing and hope to be done by the end of the month. Then on to decorating the walls. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Awesome!!!

3 Likes

I just got CLZ so I’m tryint to catalog over the weekend, but I’ve been using LEAGUE OF COMIC GEEKS for some time to track my reading and pull list.

Pretty solid systems so far.

6 Likes

CLZ is pretty excellent and extremely useful when you find yourself at a comic shop that is having a HUGE sale. Nothing worse to think that you got a sweet deal and then get home and realize you already had that comic.

6 Likes

I also noticed you read an issue of Archangel 8! That was an excellent story that really found itself a few issues in. Then again, I have been enjoying most of everything from AWA.

5 Likes