My Comic Collection - The Sorting!

I will eventually put some pics up, but I want to post to help keep me motivated on my progress. First, some background. I’ve been collecting comics for pretty much as long as I remember, and later this year I’m turning cough50cough. My collecting has got me 41 long boxes, but until a year ago, I had no good way to store them, to sort them, to organize them, or to catalog them. Literally one year ago (as of yesterday) my wife and I moved into a new house and I have a room solely dedicated to my collection, and I couldn’t be more thrilled! A friend built me some shelving and now I can get in and out of boxes so much easier since I don’t have the boxes just stacked on top of each other.

But now comes the organization! Now that the rest of the house has, more or less, got more sorted out, I’m trying to concentrate more on getting my collection straightened up.

So far, I’m 13 boxes done and cataloged through the E’s. And when I finished for this weekend, I thought…“You know, I should try to share this journey with the DC crew.” Hopefully this will keep me engaged from the monotony of cataloging and you can ask questions which will get me thinking about things in hopefully different ways.

Thanks in advance, and I’ll take some pics in the next few days!

13 Likes

As promised, here are a couple of pictures of my dedicated comic book room. Still very much a work in progress with the sorting to finish and artwork/posters to hang up.

12 Likes

It’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve updated. It’s been pretty busy for a bit so I haven’t had as much time as I would have liked, but this week I’m happy to say that I’ve got a couple of more boxes finished and I have everything sorted and cataloged through the F’s!

It’s a long and daunting process, but I know I’ll be SO happy when it’s done, finally completing something I’ve dreamed about doing for years.

7 Likes

What are you using to catalog your books? I use CLZ Comics via the phone and then I use LeagueofComicGeeks.com and a Google Sheet to keep track of what I read.

I was using League of Comic Geeks (link to my profile) to catalog my collection but the app is pretty much useless on my phone.

6 Likes

I’m also using CLZ. I discovered that shortly before starting this project and it’s been VERY helpful. There’s a place on there where you can keep track of what you’ve read also, but I’ve not done that. What I should have done when I started is make a note on which books I have signed.

Mostly I will be using the catalog to make sure I don’t end up buying more doubles when I attempt to fill in the gaps for runs that I want to finish. I used to just be able to remember the covers that I had, but as the collection grew, there was just NO way to be able to do that anymore. So the fact that I can just have the list on my phone with me when I go to the comic stores or conventions will be incredible.

5 Likes

The biggest thing I still use League of Comic Geeks for is the pull list feature. There might be one of those on CLZ but it is nice to have an idea of how much you are about to spend each week on comics.

5 Likes

A little over a year ago, I actually stopped buying new books. Not because I didn’t like them anymore, but mostly because with life, and the sheer amount of books that I WAS getting, I fell too far behind in reading them and it started to feel like work to try to catch up. That’s when I knew I needed to take a bit of a step back, take stock of what I have, get the things that I know I want from the past, and be more selective on what I’ll choose to buy as it comes out.

5 Likes

If it wasn’t for Future State my pull list is maybe 3-5 books a week and maybe a trade paperback collection or two depending on the price and if the comic shops near me have a sale.

4 Likes

The most recent thing I bought from my LCS (which I used to work at) was the Doug Mahnke DC Legends collection.

5 Likes

I also use CLZ and I did the same thing. One day I’ll go back through and make a list of that. But I like everything else about that app. It’s very helpful.

5 Likes

So, the next time I get to this again, I’ll be starting the titles that have the word “Green” in them…so that will take a while. As of right now I have 689 separate titles, with a total comic count of…5597. Anyone want to start placing bets on what the final number will be?

6 Likes

You have over 5000 comics so far and you are only in the G’s! :exploding_head: oh wow I am now curious to follow the progress on this. I don’t think I will even try to guess the final number I have the feeling I would be under. By a lot.

6 Likes

I will guess 12,324 comics will be the final count. However, if you happen to purchase more comics or something like that and I am not sure if you are including trades/hardcovers…hmm.

4 Likes

I’m not planning on any major purchases until all this is done, and I’m not counting trades/hardcovers. Only issues that are stored in my longboxes are being put in the app. I’ll probably add all of the TPBs and Hardcovers after everything else is done.

5 Likes

Also, I have to ask. Do you have any Archie comics?

4 Likes

I have a few of the modern era issues, but nothing classic at all.

5 Likes

Yeah…I’m like, old and stuff…LOL I’ve been collecting for literally as long as I can remember.

6 Likes

About a month ago, I decided to check Craigslist specifically for Archie. I needed some light comic reading. I found a guy about a mile away from me who had a bundle for $25 that had Archie, Punisher, and early Image books. The Archie books are definitely beater readers but that is why I bought them.

5 Likes

I never really got too much into Archie when I was young. Not really sure why cuz I like the art style and all…but I think maybe my perception (at least at the time) of no ongoing storylines just made it seem boring to me. I’d probably change my mind if I started reading them more now. My wife started getting into the more recent Archie Horror books which I’ll probably give a try hopefully soon. She really enjoyed them.

5 Likes

Protip: go to the Archie comics web store. They have crazy sales. I picked up the Archie Meets Batman '66 trade for $3. It is no longer that price but that is an example of the sales they have. They also have build a bundle where you can get 3 Archie horror books for $15 (the more books you get in the bundle makes each book drop in price).

5 Likes