My Belated DCU Reviews 5/13/19

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #22 <-- End of Series
I can’t believe it, Birds of Prey is over. I’ve enjoyed the series ever since the first volume figured out what the series was with the Gus storyline. It’s a series about redemption, acknowledging the past, and moving forward in your life. All three members of the core team changed in important ways. Batgirl embraced oracle (Acknowledging the past), Helena Bertinelli became a hero (redemption), and Black Canary got new powers (moving forward). Though the series clearly didn’t want to end, I’m glad it found a solid ending. This series will sorely be missed especially now that the series has come Full Circle.

Cohesiveness: 4
Enjoyability: 5
Story: 5

14/15

Detective Comics #980
As Tynion IV’s run comes to an end, it’s hard to explain the confusingness of this issue. It half concludes and half builds to the finale and honestly it fell apart. Rather than focus and build a conflict, the issue spends much of its time talking about a non-existent future and other timelines. This is the penultimate issue of the run and honestly I couldn’t be more confused about the future. While I have full faith Tynion can tell a good finale, I’m confused about what that looks like. The issue feels like the conclusion of the arc and the continuation. It’s just a weirdly written story.

Cohesiveness: 3
Enjoyability: 3
Story: 3

9/15

Flash #46 → Ran out of time on my Extended Review Sorry!

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #44
I’m torn about this issue. On one hand, many of the team reveals got me excited. On the other hand, this issue felt like filler and a little lesson on Heroes and the Death Penalty. Honestly, it’s one of the less exciting issues of the series.

Enjoyability: 2
8/15

Immortal Men #2
The series is in that weird place where it’s not in exposition by it’s mostly spent explaining the world. It’s very hard to enjoy an issue where you are trying to follow the action and learn the characters at the same time. However, this inability to follow everything is what is likely going on in Caden’s head. This cool parallelism is really interesting and does subtly add to the experience of the book. Immortal Men still has a lot to prove but I’m continuing to enjoy it enough to continue to give it a try.

11/15

Justice League: No Justice #1
Extended review and recap here:
https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/justice-no-justice-1-exten

Sideways #4
Sideways continues to be relatively good. As the focus shifts towards one of the side characters. The story of Derek’s Mom worked really well and created some sympathy for the seeming villain of Sideways. However, Sideways is plagued by weird power usage as he rarely uses his power. In an effort to set up a with great power comes great responsibility scenario, Sideways fails to explain his “great power” outside of everyone wants it and he doesn’t use it.

9/15

Suicide Squad #41
This issue is suprisingly accessible only giving a little continuity info for long time readers instead setting up a break in and out story with Batman. The series tie-in to Flash was also nice even though Cold Days in Hell feels like a long time ago. I’m looking forward to seeing this high stakes scenario and feel like all the characterizations were solid. Whether it’s an Arrow season 2-esque characterization of Deadshot or Waller relentlessness. I’m looking forward to reading this series. As an FYI, I haven’t read #11-40.

Cohesiveness: 5
Story: 4

13/15

Wonder Woman #46 -Starting Point
Though it’s not the start of a run or a series, Wonder Woman #46 is part of Dark Nights: Metal aftermath. As such, it tries to find a happy medium that makes it fun and accessible at the same time. For the most part they succeed. For example, Jason’s segment explains his powers and there is some base explaining about the history between some of the characters. However, the biggest success with dark gods is the guest appearance at the end where I was like OH YEAH RAO. That’s as much as I’ll say, but it’s well worth trying it out.

Cohesiveness: 4
Enjoyability: 4
13/15

Best issue of the week: 1st: Birds of Prey #22.
2nd: Justice League: No Justice #1
Didn’t review:
Eternity Girl #3
Injustice 2 - Chapter 57
New Super-man and the Justice League of China #23
Red hood and the Outlaws #22
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay Chapter 7
Wildstorm Michael Cray #7

1 Like

If I ever got the guts to dig up my old laptop I would definitely do the Pull List thing you’ve got going. All your comic related stuff is great, keep it up👍

Thanks! I appreciate the support! It’s ALOT to do, but kind words keep me going. Already hard at work at this weeks reviews!