Must read storylines on DCU?

What would you say are some of the must-read storylines on here?

52, for sure. That one really got me hooked. It’s set during the year after Infinite Crisis, when Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman were nowhere to be found. It takes the opportunity to drill down on some fascinating C-list characters who we get to know and love, all written by the greatest talents in the industry.

3 Likes

@HubCityQuestion I’ve heard really good things about 52 in the past. I have the first tpb sitting in my room waiting to be read (it’s been there for a while though lol), but maybe I’ll pick it up and read it soon! Thanks!

2 Likes

52 is an amazing read, it really shines a light on the other characters of the dcu.

I’d also recommend Geoff johns green lantern run, it’s a long and grand story. The green lantern Corp ties in too. so many awesome parts, The Sinestro Corp wars and then finding all the different light spectrums and the blackest night. Argh, it’s good !

2 Likes

Divine Right: The Adventures of Max Faraday. Jim Lee’s underrated masterpiece.

3 Likes

Crisis On Infinite Earths. (COIE)

It was beautifully done and was the first of its kind. Yes, real heroes (and villains) actually do die, for real.

It’s the “grand daddy of them all” and an essential part of history. Not just DC history but comics history. Written in large part by Marv Wolfman.

You don’t know where you’re going, if you don’t know where you’ve been.

3 Likes

I’ll second both 52 and COIE.

With my two unqualified recommendations already covered, I’ll throw the Death of Superman (technically three stories: Doomsday, Funeral for a Friend, and Reign of the Supermen) on the pile. I actually prefer its Batman-themed equivalent Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend, but that story is sort of an acquired taste and Knightquest has a ton of padding. Plus, it’s not as important to DC continuity generally. The Death of Superman frontloads its padding, but at least bothers to disguise it with some fight scenes and emotional moments, and the Reign of the Supermen story is genuinely really good.

3 Likes

A little love to the Legion with The Great Darkness Saga.
Mark Waid’s seminal Flash: The Return of Barry Allen
And–of course–Batman: Year One.

3 Likes

@BatJamags Last year I had the great opportunity to talk to Jerry Ordway at a local convention and he was telling me and a few other fans that were gathered around his table about his view on the whole death of Superman saga. This was also obviously before the Reign of the Supermen movie came out, and he told us that he was disappointed by the fact that the Funeral for a Friend storyline was just being skipped over. He told us that that storyline was, in his eyes, the most important part of the Death of Superman story as a whole because it wasn’t just constant action, but rather it humanized the capes and the cowls. It showed the emotional side of the characters as opposed to the justice-seeking side.

1 Like