Musical References in DC

Superman #19: mxy calling Lois 𝙔𝙊𝙆𝙊 𝙊𝙉𝙊.

1 Like

Action Comics #990: C & C Music Factory reference.

1 Like

Batgirls #4: Charles Hale, later remade by Milton Berle circa 1939- Shave and a Haircut two bits. & Smash Mouth- All Star.

2 Likes

Gen-13 #6: Madonna- Vogue, & Lady Gaga.

2 Likes

Plus Massive Attack in the same frame…

That book came out when Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta was still nine years old. Maybe a Queen shirt, but really doesn’t jive with her industrial/techno/jPop character? Or maybe Jim Lee is a time traveler?

2 Likes

Could also be it used to say nothing, or, just a widget? Then they added it to the shirt after they digitalized it, for streaming? It’s probably just like baby talk goo-goo-ga-ga etc. but, who’s to say? Nice catch on Massive Attack I didn’t notice that one. I’m guessing your probably right? But, (not in this instance, just in general) people put a lot on what year of release a comic is as far as proof the reference can’t be good? There’s so many reasons that could happen. Maybe the artist was onto the band b4 they made it. So someone might say that groups 1st album wasn’t released til 94’ & the comic is from 93’. The date on the comic doesn’t mean someone (especially in New York, L.A., where people are famous b4 their a household name) that’s when they first formed. Been playing forever & just finished an album in 94’, not created & made an album all at once haha. I didn’t even bother to look at the date. A pink shirt that says GaGa…At least u know I find all of mine honestly & w/o Googles help tho…lol…

1 Like

Batman/ Superman World’s Finest #1: Ice Cube- Check Yo’ Self.

1 Like

Nightwing #90: 𝐆𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐄. (Czech band1979-present day). perhaps a long shot? But, if u make the effort to write words on one shirt in the entire page & it says a band’s name? I’m guessing on a 50/50 shot, that it makes more sense (imho) that it is a reference?..

2 Likes

Gen-13 #7: Jimmy Eat World, & Sonic Youth (half posters).

1 Like

Ty for checking em out & for the feedback!!! It’s nice to hear anything from this section lol. It’s a great thread?!?! Nobody ever comes here tho…There’s so many musical references too, It’s ridiculous. I’ve never looked up musical references in DC, & I’ve found “this many” just from reading what I was gonna read anyways. Untapped market lol…

2 Likes

I do like this thread. Often when I read comics I’ll come across something where it sounds very familiar, but I can’t quite place it, and it turns out to be a song I heard once years ago. :smiley:

3 Likes

I do that all of the time, then I have to listen to it when I’m finished lol. I can’t really blame anyone tho. There’s so many that it’d be expecting way too much for anyone to check all of these, just to see if anyone’s posted it yet. Best bet is just post & if it’s already there? Who cares, it’s just double documented!!!

1 Like

Ty also @SaintBrodie for checking em out & the feedback on the GaGa shirt. I apologize that I confused us lol. I just have a bad (actually good personally for me, I’m weird) habit of never fact checking with Google etc. I just go by my gut. But, I suppose I should start? It’s just. Almost all of my posts are things from DC comics. I do so many there’s no way I’m checking 1/30, or whatever, posts I’m putting up while reading lol. It’s my own fault. But, I just assume a little more than I should perhaps? When I’ve got got a truckload of em. I should be checking everything twice & cutting my read time down, or just hold certain ones back until I’m sure. That comic is so overwhelmed with musical references it wasn’t even a question when I saw GAGA. I was thinking what else could it be? I guess if it’s not the “Lady” it’s just a shirt that simply says GAGA lol. Ty @Green.Lantern for the comments too-& the interaction. I rarely get any messages from the mods. I used to talk to em as much as anyone else on this site…I still get excited when I see a message from a mod!!! Also, I’m not passively aggressively saying I rarely hear from the mods. I’m more to blame then all of u. I’m taking it one day at a time tho, & trying my best to be on here whenever I get the chance!!!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m guessing it’s just a “widget”/baby talk type shirt. Feels kind of in the style of the nonce rave shirts of the day? Can’t imagine it would be anything worth inserting when they digitized, but I haven’t had print editions of Gen 13 for decades now, so I can’t confirm.

Haha, true. If it was closer I certainly would have believed it, but I was pretty sure Gen 13 was way too far back for this particular reference.

One of my favorite “oh, that can’t possibly be a band reference” was in Green Arrow (2016) #5 – Juan Ferreyra continued the tradition of Andrea Sorrentino and Patrick Zircher of making sure Henry’s (and Ollie’s) apartment was chock full of real world (and DCU) pop culture references (Animal Man, Rex Dexter, Adam Warrock, Alien, Gundam, Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Game of Thrones, etc…), so that when I got to two chunks of wall with “Odoghan” I was sure they had to be something … but all I could find was this obscure Argentinian band. Turns out, Ferreyra is Argentinean as well, and he commented on my review to confirm that not only are the posters referring to the band, but there’s another one in the same book…

But wait, there's more...

(Best I can figure, the other reference is Chica Alien, which I had assumed was a game or book by the size of the box, but is perhaps a video for the band Electro Reno, also from Argentina.)
ga4-chica.PNG

Maybe some day they’ll be as big as The Clash and someone else will try and figure out if the comic came out late enough that it would be referring to the band. :wink:

Yeah yeah, didn’t mean to throw shade or anything; I’m not judging you based on whether you feel like Googling. I was just confirming after my brain check of “wait, was Gen 13 way later than I thought…?” Usually when I think of “oh, that song’s only a few years old” it turns out to be about to be nearly 25 years old, so I was relieved to see Lady Gaga wasn’t nearly as old as past bands have aged me. :smiley:

I agree with the logic here. It’s got to be something. Just a guess, though, since Geraldo Borges is Brazilian, it might be referencing a popular nightclub that looks like it closed recently (maybe due to Covid?)? Though it also looks like it is supposed to be the likeness of a specific person, though I can’t quite put my finger on who. (Beard seems a little heavy for Tim Sale.)

1 Like

Agreed on everything lol. I know now, that, that’s not a GAGA shirt…well…it is…just not THE GAGA shirt. I was just letting my mind drift , & thought I’d make the point , that the date of release doesn’t mean it’s impossible to be certified. But, traveling into the future. Most likely, if not close to always is. Then I made that point in the wrong thread, & tagged u & @SaintBrodie in it. Ugghhhh…lol. Long day. Brains half off & I’m not talking about a sale haha. I confused all of us, yep, me included.

1 Like

Haha, a good time was had by all. No worries at all. In trying to find the Green Arrow issue I was thinking of, I found a few other references that I need to share when time allows, so it all worked out for the better.

Some day we should just nag Jim Lee and make him explain himself.

Also, I will henceforth be referring to Lady Gaga as THE GAGA. So thanks for that.

1 Like

I just like being mentioned. It makes me feel included.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: @keath & @SaintBrodie … got an lol from both posts. Yeah, I apologize. That was I’ve been reading since 4am brain.

1 Like

Justice League Of America’s Vibe #1: Beach Boys- Good Vibrations.

1 Like

Harley Quinn #13: 𝐉𝐎𝐇𝐍𝐍𝐘 𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐇_ 𝐅𝐨𝐥𝐬𝐨𝐦 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐁𝐥𝐮𝐞𝐬 (play on words).

1 Like