Musical References in DC

Secret Six #9: Mockingbird.

1 Like

I feel like if it were Duran Duran they’d have the whole band. A duo makes me think Wham!, Pet Shop Boys, The Buggles, Erasure, Soft Cell, Go West, or Tears for Fears. (Both look like they’re guys, so ruling out Eurythmics and Yazoo.) The fact that one is blonde and the other is black haired is really throwing me off. As is the Wayne Newton looking Blue Steel stare. Hair dos look too conservative for Soft Cell, Wham!, or Tears for Fears, and I don’t think the Buggles ever had a poster that wasn’t all digital styled, so despite my temptations, I’m going to vote Erasure from the remaining options. (Unless I can find an exact poster reference to the contrary.)

1 Like

I love The Pet Shop Boys. I was just throwing a bite out there. Looked like a possible Simon Le Bon & maybe Duffy, Cuccurullo, or Thomas.

I mean…if u look just at the far right- that’s almost a ringer. Even same hair & outfit on mystery black haired guy (in the comic not in actual Duran Duran pic). Just an educated guess, fit in with the rest of the wall too. Total guess tho?

1 Like

Would Simon LeBon ever have been on the same poster as Duffy or Thomas? Didn’t they replace one another as successive vocalists? I can totally see Le Bon and Cuccurullo, though, especially with the big collared shirt. (Surprised he’s wearing one.) But then it just throws an anachronistic hook, depending on the context of the frame (I haven’t read the Katana story yet … does this have a time reference?) … Cuccurullo didn’t officially join Duran Duran until '89 (post Big Thing), right? Three years after the Go-Gos disbanded. Not that someone couldn’t still have the Go-Gos poster, but the era of Madonna made me feel like this was a “pre-1985” wall for some reason… :man_shrugging:

Maybe we can nag Giuseppe Camuncoli to find out. :wink:

1 Like

Date was March 30, 2021. But obviously not the time it was set in. Kind of a freaky check up on that? I never Google, unless I’m asked. It said, verbatim, Issue #3 debuted March 30 2021, -exactly two weeks after multiple Asian women working at spas and massage parlors- workplace associated with femininity and female sexuality- were murdered in Atlanta. I was like,umm… I just wanted the date, now I’m depressed…

1 Like

Haha, I know it was released this year - I was just curious if the story was set in the 80s. But, yeah, that’s kind of a creepy correlation to bring up there, Google. :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah. I did say it wasn’t set than, but it was 80’s. I know because Katana was given instructions to basically babysit & acclimate Halo into the world. I got caught up with the murder thing & it slipped my mind. So, basically, it was Batman & the Outsiders 89’. No Google so cut me some slack if it wasn’t 89’ that it came out. But, I’m 99.9% sure. It is one of my all time favorite reads. ( Batman & The Outsiders 89’ that is).

Haha, I love that run too. (That’s where they established Black Lightning as a Deadhead and Trekkie.) I know it spanned COIE, though, so earlier than '89, but I solemnly swear I won’t look up the specific date. :raised_hand: There’s some scene where Halo is trying to convince Katana to let her go watch a movie that really dates the conversation, but I can’t for the life of me remember what movie.

1 Like

Ty you’re a good person lol. It’s one of my favorites. I might reread it. Been rereading a ton of crossovers lately. I racked my brain. I know exactly what movie u mean…but I couldn’t come up with it either? Be a great trivia question too.

1 Like

All I keep coming up with is the “Star Wars 2” reference in Teen Titans a few years earlier…

1 Like

Haha. Got us stuck. I remember cuz she basically had a 15 yr olds mentality at that point. Katana wasn’t down with her going out, & she gave Geo-Force the mom who’s dating my daughter treatment. Wasn’t a fan of Brion dating her.

1 Like

Shadowpact #15: Paper Lace- The Night Chicago Died.

1 Like

Batman #64: Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)- Neil Young & Jeff Blackburn.

1 Like

Red Lanterns #7: Rebel Yell- Billy Idol. Studio Album.

1 Like

Red Lanterns #13: Eyes Without A Face- Billy Idol.

1 Like

Hardware #22: Charles Mingus, Mozart, Thelonious Monk, Felix Mendelssohn.
My Favorite Things- Julie Andrews but originally heard on Broadway- Oscar Hammerstein II & Richard Rogers.

1 Like

Hardware #22: We Are The World- Michael Jackson & Lionel Richie- sung by everyone in the 80’s lol.

1 Like

Elvira’s House of Magic #1: Rockabye Baby.

1 Like

Red Lanterns: King Crimson.

1 Like

Robins #1: going out on a limb, but not really…assuming there’s no other reason to use Graveyard Smash unless your referring to the Monster Mash.

1 Like