Musical References in DC

HQ #32: J-Lo.

2 Likes

HQ #32: Pink Floyd the Wall, coinciding with the Wizard of Oz.

2 Likes

This entire sequence is magnificent, even if I have a beef with Lieberman for some of the bands included.

2 Likes

Been sitting on this one a while trying to figure out the few I’m not confident on, but maybe y’all can fill in the blanks… some are very specific famous photos, so maybe I’m over-assuming that they all are.

Art Ops (2015) #2

3 Likes

First off I agree with being upset over some of the bands HQ lists as lame. Secondly, I looked at the pic above me b4 I read your speculations & I had it called the exact same way. I didn’t think at first that u would’ve caught the Dead Boys. Considering their rarely talked about, even tho they should’ve been in the same conversation as all the other CBGB acts which this panel is pretty much 90% of. I just know em b/c there from Cleveland & it was such a tragic deal. They were considered the band that was gonna make it big out of all the bands that came thru CBGBs & that’s saying beyond a mouthful. Nice catches tho, I’d easily, 100%, say those are accurate.

3 Likes

Well, she is criminally insane, so I’ll let it slide. I guess.

Absolutely love the Dead Boys. (Though, I was embarrassingly old - almost 40 - when I learned he was also in Lords of the New Church!) I grew up in NJ, so we had some NYC echoes, and you’re right, they were definitely core to the CBGB scene, but are often left out of such conversations. IIRC Patti Smith paid a sort of “extra” tribute to him in the final performance when they closed down as she named all those who’ve passed away.

Found the photo it references: also taken by Ebet Roberts, April 29, 1977

Incidentally, I found that image in rethinking my presumptive Steven Tyler when I realized there’s no Heartbreakers/Television/NY Dolls/Voidoids representation… “Steven” (or the “dark haired Divine”, if not both) has got to be David Johansen (of the New York Dolls)! Which makes me wonder if long-hair “Danny Doll, methinks” is a very stylized Johnny Thunders?

3 Likes

The top part, hilarious. Bottom portion, genius. The Dolls are another overlooked CBGB & just straight club scene band. Far as fans go at least. The music industry understands their importance. Credited for starting the Glam rock look which I agree with but some may argue. I know Bowie adopted the look from club kids & the Dolls & he definitely didn’t hurt that brand.

3 Likes

Katana #4: Metallica- Creeping Death. maybe a long shot but I’m pretty confident, the artists are hipper than u think & it’s rarely coincidence when they put something in an issue.

3 Likes

Speaking of Bowie… have you seen Team Allred’s Bowie OGN bio and companion coloring book?

3 Likes

I actually have & normally if u asked me if I’d seen a non comic book. I’m talking 99/100Xs I haven’t haha. But I actually did see that in the back of a magazine I was reading at the dentist.

3 Likes

I just realized… I’ve done the Wizard of Oz coinciding with Dark Side of the Moon so many times I didn’t realize til just now he’s talking about a way to watch it with the Wall. Never heard of that one. I was thinking just hit start after 2nd lions roar, why count to 47. Than it hit me he’s talking a whole other ballgame?

2 Likes

DC Halloween Special 2009’ #1: John Mayer- Your Body is a Wonderland.

3 Likes

Nightwing #100: Neil Sedaka- Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.

4 Likes

Nightwing #95: Billy Idol- White Wedding lyrics.

4 Likes

The All New Atom #2: Beethoven’s Fifth.

3 Likes

The All New Atom #4: Frank Sinatra- Luck Be A Lady (Laser).

3 Likes

The All New Atom #8: Cyndi Lauper- Time After Time.
The Rolling Stones- Time Is On My Side.
Jim Croce- Time in a Bottle.

3 Likes

The All New Atom #15: David Bowie- Space Oddity. Play on lyrics.

3 Likes

The All New Atom #14: Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven reference from Ted Kord.

3 Likes

The All New Atom #15: Barry White.

3 Likes