Munchie Mondays: Infinite Layers!

Got a favorite recipe from Negative Man? Can you bake a pie as good as Martha Kent’s? Ever had a dream of opening your own DC themed restaurant? Like showing off how good (or bad) your food looks? Just… enjoy food?

Ready those ovens, dust off those aprons, and get ready to make some grub! Create your way to the top and be featured as Kent’s Kitcheneer for the month in our news section!

HOW IT WORKS

1. Every Monday, I’ll post a new recipe for you to try in honor of a specific theme or character.
  2. DC it Up! Give it a DC inspired name, take a picture with a collectible or book of its inspiration, or bake an image right into it!
  3. Create the recipe right in your own DC Kitchen!
  4. Post your results here in this thread! Good and bad, we want those pictures!
  5. Let us know what we should do next week by voting below.

THEME
Crisis on Infinite Earths

Red skies! The clear sign of a crisis on our hands! Take your favorite moment or piece of art in COIE and channel it into some kitchen creativity!

RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Last week, y’all voted for that cheesy, layered pasta, BUT due to the Anti-Monitor’s antics our example for you has, literally, gone up in smoke. However, we will NOT be defeated so easily as back-up is always to be found! So, I present to you both the recipe for our “Gone in a Flash” lasagna (in the comments) AND our (In)finite Layer Dip!

Here’s this week’s example recipe:

(In)finite Layer Dip

Serves about 20.

Ingredients

• 1 can 15 oz refried beans with jalapenos
  • 1 can 10 ½ oz bean dip with jalapenos
  • 2 large avocados
  • Garlic salt to taste
  • Onion salt to taste
  • Tabasco sauce to taste
  • 8 green onions
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 to 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
  • ½ cup mayo
  • 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
  • 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
  • 6 oz shredded monterey jack cheese
  • Tortilla chips

Preparation

• Mix together refried beans and bean dip.
  • In a large glass container (about 1-1 ½ inches tall, make sure you can dip a chip and get all the layers!), spread bean mixture to the sides, approximately 1 ½ inch thick.
  • Mash the avocados, season to taste with garlic salt, onion salt, and Tabasco.
  • Spread avocado mixture over first layer.
  • Dice tomatoes and cover second layer.
  • Chop green onions and cover tomatoes.
  • Mix together sour cream, mayonnaise, and taco seasoning; spread over existing layers.
  • Spread cheeses over entire surface of dip.
  • Refrigerate.
  • Serve with tortilla chips.

YOUR TURN
Post your pictures in the comments below! We’ll be picking our favorite to feature in the news section every month. Get that Kent’s Kitcheneer title!

What should we make next week?

• Ice Cream
  • Pasta

0 voters

6 Likes

Here’s the “Gone in a Flash” Lasagna recipe for you folks!

Gone in a Flash Lasagna

Ingredients

• 12 lasagna noodles uncooked
  • 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese divided
  • Sauce
    ** 1/2 pound lean ground beef
    ** 1/2 pound Italian sausage
    ** 1 onion diced
    ** 2 cloves garlic minced
    ** 24 oz pasta sauce
    ** 2 tablespoons tomato paste
    ** 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • Cheese Layer
    ** 2 cups ricotta cheese
    ** 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    ** 1 egg beaten

Preparation

• Heat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
  • Brown beef, sausage, onion and garlic over medium high heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
  • Stir in pasta sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning. Simmer 5 minutes.
  • Combine 1-1/2 cups mozzarella, ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, parsley and egg.
  • Add 1 cup meat sauce to a 9x13 pan. Top with 3 lasagna noodles. Layer with 1/3 of the cheese mixture and 1 cup of meat sauce. Repeat finishing with noodles topped with sauce. Make sure to cut out a Flash symbol in the last noodle layer and cover that with some extra cheese
  • Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover, add more cheese and bake an additional 15 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Broil 2-3 minutes if desired.
  • Rest 10-15 minutes before cutting.
6 Likes

Those BOTH look SO Yummy! Now this is a CRISIS, what to eat first?

3 Likes

Where are all the super layered dishes at for the week? Are we all worn out this Dec.? It has been a busy month already for me… Although, I have no pics to post… I must mention that a Zuchinni Lasagna is delish for those that want to make a pasta less dish.

Summary

Large Zuchinni or 2 smallish Zuchinni
Tomato based sauce
Cheeses: mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta
Italian seasonings
Garlic, salt, & pepper
Meat (I like sausage for this)

1. Slice zucchini (I like rounds, slices, jullianed, any way will work, the thicker the veggie the longer cook time)
  2. Brown meat
  3. Saute garlic
  4. Spoon a layer of sauce in bottom of oven-safe dish
  5. Layer dry Zuchinni on top of sauce
  6. Scoop meat over Zuchinni
  7. Layer cheeses on top of that
  8. Spoon more sauce
    1. & 11. Repeat layering ending with cheese on top
  9. Place in oven to bake & cheeses are all gooey & dish is heating theoughout.
  10. Yum!

Happy Holidays!

2 Likes

Atomic Poison Ivy Lasagna Blossoms (Highly customizable!)

I’m very messy when it comes to cooking and measurements, and tend to throw things into the skillet until I get the flavor that I want. I tried to give rough estimates, but you can safely change up the ingredients to suit your own tastebuds.

Recipe

Ingredients

Sauce
(Note: You could use jar sauce, but as a Bertinelli an Italian-American, I can’t endorse it without being disowned. That said, if you don’t own all the spices, it would be more budget friendly!)

• 1 lb ground beef (NOTE: Substitute with your favorite veggie if vegetarian, or skip this ingredient entirely if you’d rather stick to a simple tomato sauce)
  • Roughly 3/4 of a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
  • One large clove of finely diced garlic (or garlic powder, to taste)
  • Roughly 1/2 cup of finely diced white onion (or onion powder, to taste)
  • About 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (or basil, oregano, thyme to taste)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste (1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper?)
  • Red pepper flakes (optional, but you should totally use it!)

Cheese filling

• 15 oz. ricotta cheese (I’ve heard you can use cream cheese if you’re not a ricotta fan, but that sounds nasty with sauce :worried:)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • Dash of nutmeg
  • About 10 oz. of cooked spinach SQUEEZED DRY
  • Roughly 1/2 clove of finely diced garlic (or garlic powder to taste)
  • 2 egg whites (or liquid egg substitute)

Other

• 24 wonton wrappers
  • Shredded mozzarella

Steps

Sauce

1. Lightly brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat (about 5 minutes)
  2. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender and meat is cooked through.
  3. Carefully drain the fat from the skillet.
  4. Add enough crushed tomatoes to saturate the meat, but be careful not to use much more than that. If your sauce is very liquidy, the lasagna blossoms won’t hold together.
  5. Add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes. Let simmer as you start assembling the cheese filling.

Cheese filling

1. Mix all ingredients. Voi la. That’s it.

Assembly

1. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray
  2. Flatten one wonton wrapper into the bottom of each cup, making certain to cover the base and the lower half of the sides.
  3. Scoop about a tablespoon of the cheese mix into each cup. Smooth it down so that it evenly fills the space.
  4. Scoop a tablespoon of the sauce mix, followed by a layer of the shredded mozz, into each cup.
  5. Carefully lay a second wonton wrapper into each cup. This is the part that will make or break your presentation. Pinch it into the shape of a flower. (Tbh, I was hungry and kinda rushed this part :stuck_out_tongue: )
  6. Repeat steps 3 and 4, but use less of the ingredients or it will overflow.
  7. Bake at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes (take out when the wonton wrappers look brown and crispy)
  8. Let it cool slightly, or when you try to remove the lasagna blossoms, they’ll collapse.
  9. Grab two spoons from your utility belt, pray to Alfred, and gently remove each blossom from the tin.

That’s it! You’ll either have successful lasagna blossoms, or a messy but still delicious pile of meat and cheese.

Wonton wrappers are great for a huge variety of quick dinners. If lasagna isn’t your thing, you could stuff them to the brim with just veggies or cheese. Or fill them with cooked diced chicken, blue cheese and buffalo sauce for a game day app.

etcetera-2

2 Likes

@toonatonian I’ve made these before! They’re especially great for people who need to avoid most pastas for health-reasons.

2 Likes

This is an AWESOME Blossom truly deserving of it’s namesake. What a fabulous dish! Thanks a bunch for the fan fabulous dish!

2 Likes

Can I substitute the beef for chicken?

1 Like

@6044 Yes, definitely! I recommend using shredded chicken; it holds up the best in the cups, which are pretty delicate before being baked.

Let me know if you need instructions for how to cook the chicken (or, if in a rush and able to spend a few more dollars, you can buy a rotisserie chicken, remove the skin, and just use that)

Thanks! I’ll definitely use shredded chicken when I make it.

Sorry it took me forever after to reply.