Munchie Mondays: Help! Crisis in the Kitchen!

This week, I need everyone’s help!

Got a favorite recipe from Negative Man? Can you bake a pie as good as Martha Kent’s? Ever had a dream of opening your own DC themed restaurant? Like showing off how good (or bad) your food looks? Just… enjoy food?

Ready those ovens, dust off those aprons, and get ready to make some grub! Create your way to the top and be featured as Kent’s Kitcheneer for the month in our news section!

HOW IT (NORMALLY) WORKS

1. Every Monday, I’ll post a new recipe for you to try in honor of a specific theme or character.
  2. DC it Up! Give it a DC inspired name, take a picture with a collectible or book of its inspiration, or bake an image right into it!
  3. Create the recipe right in your own DC Kitchen!
  4. Post pictures of your results here in this thread! The good, the bad, and the… creative!

THEME
Crisis on Infinite Earths

Who was your favorite character that died? A particularly heart wrenching one? Give them tribute with this week’s recipe! (Let it be known that the comments may contain spoilers!)

RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Last week, y’all voted for some question marks! I should’ve known then that something was up! I saw the red skies. I should’ve known!

• My recipes vanished!

Here’s this week’s example recipe:

???

And there’s the problem. This week is just bonkers because I’ve had a crisis, myself! All my recipes are gone somehow! Maybe soon my recipes will return, but for now, I’ll need you guys to give me some DC inspired recipes of your own!

YOUR TURN
Post your pictures and recipes in the comments below! We’ll be picking our favorite to feature in the news section every month. Get that Kent’s Kitcheneer title! Help save this kitchen in Crisis!

Next week, if there is a next week, we’ll be making iced sugar cookies! Just in time for the holidays!

6 Likes

I had a crisis of infinite pizzas, momma DeBeero sent me a pizza stone for Christmas so I dusted off my ol pizza dough recipes and gave it a shot. We have Hawaiian which the ol lady got into before I got the picture, and a sausage mushroom and olive

9 Likes

@RobertDeBeero Oh dang those look tasty. :drooling_face: Such a marvelous crisp on that crust!

5 Likes

@BestBeastBoy, Why not make a Christmas theme food? Make Surgar cookies, Gingerbread house, Roast ham, and plum pudding! They are soooooo good! :grin::penguin: :santa::christmas_tree::mrs_claus:

5 Likes

Yum yum yum! What to make, what to bake, it’s a crisis in the kitchen again! Jeepers! I gotta get my crisis food together… Be back later! :psycho_hqas:

5 Likes

Those look so good! We might be having pizza for dinner tonight thanks to you. :pizza:

3 Likes

I don’t have a pic, but here is my recipe for Flash cranberry relish.

1 bag whole cranberries, can be fresh or frozen (if frozen pour into a colander after defrosting.
1 2liter bottle of ginger ale at room temp. (I prefer Vernors, it has a bit more bite but Canada-Dry works well too.)
Small can (about 4oz) of chopped, roasted green chiles. You can roast your own and control your heat index. It is just important that the skins and seeds be removed. Just make sure they are finely diced.

In a large saucepan place the ginger ale and cranberries. Bring the liquid up to a low boil, uncovered. Stir every couple of minutes. Let it boil until 2/3rds - 3/4s of the ginger ale has evaporated and the cranberries have cracked and started to break apart.

Take it off heat and then stir in the diced green chiles.

Let cool. This will allow the pectins from the cranberries to gel. Put it in a snap lid container and refrigerate for up to a week.

For serving, set the container out for about 3-4 hours before serving, so it gets up to room temp.

There you have a relish (or chutney). It isn’t overly sweet like what you get out of a can. Balances sweet, tart, and a bit of heat. It has texture, rather than just a smooth firm jello like texture. If you find it a little lacking on heat, you can turn up the heat by adding cayenne or using any roasted chile you want. Although ghost peppers heat might blind out the other flavors.

Serve as an accompaniment with ham, roast fowl, lamb, elk, venison, prime rib, pan seared whitefish, and I’m pretty sure it’s vegan (although I don’t know if ginger ale is strictly vegan or not.) the nice thing about using it as a holiday dish is that it can be prepared days in advance.

If you want a bit of “zoom” but not the heat, substitute yellow banana peppers.

Bon Appetite

3 Likes

The fastest salad in the world designed to quickly fuel speedsters.

A) Flash fried glazed carrots, curried tofu, zucchini & green beans.
B) Toasted sun flower and sesame seeds.
C) Baby spinach.

5 Likes

This sounds fanfreakingtastic @DeSade-acolyte :flash_hv_3: genius! & Simply Scrumdillyicious indeed. :flash_hv_1: thanks so much for sharing this with us - delish dish for sure. :flash_hv_2: I’m even thinking that mixing it with cream cheese would be a tasty treat too! :flash_hv_3: Happy Holidays!

2 Likes

My pleasure. It was a fun dish to figure out how to make. You might need a potato masher or a stick blender depending on how chunky and/or uniform you want the cranberries with the cream cheese. It goes well with Brie or Camembert as well, on bread. Especially with thinly sliced Serarno ham (you could use prosciutto or a dry cured old school “Virginia” ham, which is as close as you can find to Serano or prosciutto in the US) Just have it sliced wafer thin. Or get serano sliced thick or use pork belly. Fry (or bake on a draining rig) and place a nice crispy piece on top of the relish & cheese mixture. Make for a canapé that is hearty but not to heavy.

Great with a nice glass of brut champagne, Vueve, Tattinger or Bollenger all make great non-vintage brut champagne. Billcart-Salmon Rose Brut works well too. If people are beer drinkers something like a lager. Stella Artois works great. For a non-alcoholic drink, a dark oolong iced tea.

2 Likes

:flash_hv_3:Mmmmm :man_cook: that looks so good! Mmmmm! :flash_hv_3:

2 Likes

Crisis Comfort Bats & Flash Dish

Summary

1st layer: Bread cut into your favorite crisis characters, hint. use scraps to mimic shattered red skies effect.
2nd. Turkey Chunks (insert clever pun about ain’t no turkeys during a crisis or something)
3rd. Mashed potatoes (planet shaped spoonfuls work nicely here for effect)
4th. Gravy (I love gravy, yep that’s how the S got there, needed a trench for it).
Sit back with a cup of milk & take comfort that crisis is on break for Holidays & that gives us time to soothe our minds from the boggling that gave us CoIE).

:harleyquinn_hqas: Happy HarleyDays Super Fan Friends! :harleyquinn_hqas:

5 Likes

I love the plate you posted. Gravy looks delicious and the texture of the potatoes is spot on. I’m not imagining the Bat Signal being shown in a variety of ways on the plate, am I?

1 Like

@RobertDeBeero - Ooh, was checking out the Community Roll Call thread, and it reminded me of the pineapple on pizza debate, so I came to check out this thread, and lo and behold, lovely pineapple! :wink: That stove setup looks interesting, too! Is the rack on top (that the pizza on left is sitting on) part of the stove itself, or something else?

@DeSade-acolyte, had cranberry relish for the first time a few days ago, and wondered about one of the flavors that stood out. Hadn’t considered it could be ginger ale! Gonna go back and taste it again. The one I have is sweet, but since you added chilies for heat, I wonder what it might be like with spicy ginger ale. Ever tried it? In my travels, someone shared a variety with me that’s so hot you can’t smell it without losing your breath. :hot_pepper:

@severo1drgnfli.52828, now that’s a salad one would have a hard time being bored with. :slight_smile:
@toonatonian, ahh, comfort food that’s perfect for someone in the path of the arctic blast coming through!

I need off this thread, it already has my tummy a-grumble, lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

@MissInkBlot
There are some versions of ginger ale that are very strong. I recall on from South Africa that packed quite the punch.

I generally have stuck with Ginger Ale that is easily available for this recipe. Depending on the tartness/sweetness balance you want, you might need to add some simple syrup to get your balance. (Make sure you add it when the mixture is medium warm to hot. The syrup will better incorporate.)
If you give it a go with something more “exotic” please let me know how it works out.

3 Likes

@MissInkBlot nope that’s just a cookie cooling rack I set up real quick, my oven is a pile o crap

2 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte - The one from South Africa sounds amazing. I’m fond of those that make you feel like a fire-breathing dragon, so I hope you liked the one you described. :slight_smile: And thank you so much for the tips - I had to finish up what we already had first, but when I try making it myself next week, I’ll let you know how it goes!

@RobertDeBeero - Aww, you sound like me when talking about my stove/oven. :laughing: Yours makes some beautiful-looking pizzas, though, so I’m glad to see it’s still earning it’s keep. :wink:

1 Like

@MissInkBlot
The South African one felt about 50% hotter than straight red tabasco. If that’s any indication that makes sense.

Best of luck with the recipe next week.

2 Likes

This thread is such a treat! In every sense of the word.

@DeSade-acolyte, I can’t say that I’ve ever made cranberry relish, but this sounds super refreshing, bright, and maybe just a tiny bit spicy. I’m going to give this recipe a try, maybe at a New Years Eve party, paired with a ham appetizer. :slight_smile:

And your dish has my mouth watering, @severo1drgnfli.52828! I absolutely love tofu, when it’s prepared right, and this looks delicious. Do you buy your tofu already curried, or is there a recipe to get it so tasty?

Finally, @toonatonian, your dish is the definition of comfort food. It looks absolutely decadent! :drooling_face:

1 Like